Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meaningless phrases

38supPat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But whenever someone sez to me, "Have a nice day!" I say, "I'm workin' on it!" and I inevitably get the deer-in-the-headlights look. Don't people have any imagination??!?!?!! <_<

I use "Have a good one" but have been trying to change the "one" for day, afternoon, evening, night. Is that better? But if you don't like "Have a nice day" what am I supposed to tell you when I walk out of the elevator or your office? "May your day be cheerful if you're a happy type of person, sunny if you like the sun or rainy if you like the rain." :huh:

I'm going to get ready to go shoot. Have a nice day! :goof:

A friend used to say, "Create a good day." May not work in all situations, but definitely an improvement in some.

be

Anticipate, In its original meaning was to forestall, as in I anticipated his attack so I was able to avoid it. The current usage has come to mean waiting expectantly, perhaps from the song and the ketchup commercial that said song came to be associated with.

Irregardless. This simply is not a word and it irritates me to hear it from supposedly intelligent people.

I could care less, (really I could, but as has been said, I'd really have to try hard.) I am thinking that should someone say this to me, I will henceforth thank them for having some care for whatever it may be about me that has not yet reached the nadir of their ability to care.

That was so fun! This one really get me. So fun? How about ' that was fun? or that was so much fun?, but just pain So fun???

'Have a nice day' on so many levels. Think about having just said this to someone that has lost a loved-one that day or been diagnosed with an illness. Around our shop we've taken to, with a smile on our faces, telling people to not tell us what kind of day to have.

Frankly the proliferation of profanity in everyday discourse is something I find appalling. Someone much more intelligent that I has said that profanity is the last refuge of a weak mind. Yes it sometimes feels good to just vent, but I am uncomfortable when in a public setting I hear people f...ing this and f...ing that. I admit to all too often slipping myself, but I do make an effort to not run of around women and children. I have asked people around me to please watch their language when a lady is present. And been thanked for it by the lady. We want to attract families and women to the games we play, we had best try a little decorum.

Sorry for the drift in that last, but it does tie in to the phrases that irk us general theme of this thread.

Jim

The overuse of profanity dilutes the effectiveness of it when it might otherwise be appropriate and deliciously stunning. To hear a continual stream of it reduces it to a meaningless audio blur. One needs to reserve SOME bit of forceful speech for those, uh, moments when 'forceful speech' would vividly make a point. B)

Whenever you want to impress someone here at work just tell them you'll apply "metrics" to any given problem.

"Yes, I believe we could apply metrics to that and find the root cause..........." blah blah blah

I here that so much around here I could puke.

OK, I'll shut up now. Wait that's another one! Just shut up, you don't have to tell me you'll shut up.....for cryin out loud :rolleyes:

Both "knowwhatamsayin" and "have a good one" drive me into "Grrrrr...!" mode for real. They've GOT to be two of the lamest, stupidest verbal crutches going. :angry2:

But whenever someone sez to me, "Have a nice day!" I say, "I'm workin' on it!" and I inevitably get the deer-in-the-headlights look. Don't people have any imagination??!?!?!! <_<

It is Have a good un! :rolleyes:

Anytime a salesperson says "Challenge" as in "The Opportunity we have with this Challenge."

This was way overused by the President of a company I used to work for... everything was a "challenge" instead of a problem or an issue. It got to where all of the IT staff would play it as a drinking game or "Challenge BINGO!"

....and yes we did have one of the programming team say BINGO in a meeting with him one time :roflol:

The overuse of profanity dilutes the effectiveness of it when it might otherwise be appropriate and deliciously stunning. To hear a continual stream of it reduces it to a meaningless audio blur. One needs to reserve SOME bit of forceful speech for those, uh, moments when 'forceful speech' would vividly make a point. B)

Lol...do you know any Scots?

"To improve the computer experience."

"Computer experience?" When did a computer become something to experience. The moron who came up with that one needs to experience having some other tool (like a sledge hammer) coming in contact with his noggin!

One that just came to mind.

We had a supplier whose president used to reapeat for emphasis, repeat for emphasis. ALL THE TIME, ALL THE TIME.

What made it exceptionally funny was one night while at away at a meeting sitting watching TV and the show Whose Line is it anyway came on and they played "Super Heros", one of whom was, wit for it...

The man who says everything twice man.!

Nothing particularly meaningless about what he would say, just that in just about every other sentence, sentence he would repeat a phrase or just a couple words, words.

Was sometimes difficult not to crack-up listenening.

Jim

Shit happens
This is still a mildly meaningful phrase--at the proper moment.

But, like so many of the items aforementioned in this thread, it's been sadly overused.

But the Mr. Repeats-Things-Twice guy would really drive me up the wall and out the window. :angry2:

(Does he have a disability, perhaps...?)