Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major

Stratochief

Playing around with some Major 9 loads today, I noticed that almost all loads I was experimenting with were compressed. Using 3N37 (8.3 grains) the top of the powder charge is about 1/8 of an inch below the top of the case. What OAL do most guys use when using 3N37 for major 9?

Am I wrong in thinking that if you pick up your 38 super cases and resuse them 3-5 times, it's no more expensive than shooting a 9mm case once and not reusing it?

N340!!! HOLY cow, thats a pretty fast powder. When I tried it I auto-deprimed the case upon firing. I'm pretty sure CPTY1, JL Hardy and a lot of the other 9mm shooters are using slower powders, such as SP2, 3n38, N105.

I have to agree with davecutts and Openshooter. I use N340 and an AOL of 1.175 with a 124g FMJ round nose, in a 5" barrel . SR7625 and HS6 work also, though not as clean. The N350, 3n37 and SP2 I tried would not make major, (not enough case volume) with a 124g bullet. If you use a 135g bullet, these powders should work, but your AOL will have to be longer. You don't want to "crush" your powder, just compressing it is ok.

My specific load is 8.9 grains of SP2 with a 125 grain JHP, OAL 1.150. This chronos out of my commander length gun at a 169 PF. The load is compressed slightly but not enough to cause concern. It is much less compressed than my previous 3n38 loading which would be closer to what Beven called "crushed".

the overall length of my loads are 1.155 using the following powders and 125 zero jhps. n340,n350,3n37,3n38, sp2. my favorite powder is the sp2. there is no way possible to get enough n105 in the case. i previously used n105 in my supercomp open guns and loved it. i found it possible to make major with 115's using n340, 3n37, n350 and sp2 ,but just barely before seeing pressure signs. all of these powders were used in a commander length gun with 2 small hybrid type holes. the longest overall length i have tried is 1.165 as i use spacers in all my mags.

I happen to have an 8lb. jug of SP2. So, I am using that to load for my Glock 34 with the KKM comp (two up, one to each side). No ports (yet).

I get to around 170pf with 1.150 OAL and 8.4g of SP2. I use Federal 200 primers and Zero 125 JHP's.

Note: The Glock is a small framed gun, and OAL is further limted by the magazine size.

I bought a pound of n105 to make up some 9mm man-on-man steel loads to get a load that can compete better with 165 pf .45's than my 127pf match load. I saw on VV's web site where they list in the 9x21 at 1.161 up to 6.4grs using a 147gr bullet going somewhere over 1100. I was going to load about 6.0 at 1.158 under a 147 zero JHP to start and go from there, but I'm having second thoughts with the talk of "crushed" powder. Those of you who have played with major 9 and 105 please comment. Is N105 and a 147 doable? The gun involved is a Glock 34 set up for production class.

thanks

I am running 1.135" OAL @ 170 PF presently using 8.6gr WW540 under a 124gr JHP (Remington Golden Sabre). I previously ran 8.8gr @ 1.155" OAL but had to reduce the OAL to get 100% function with the Taylor Freelance +11 basepads I like to use. Charge is touched by bullet base, but not compressed. Federal SP100's provide reliable ignition with the light trigger setup in my Glock. I understand that HS6 will perform the same as WW540 so I will probably be switching to that when the supply of 540 I have runs out (WW540 is not made anymore). This is a very clean burning load and has a lot of history going for it as one of the standard loadings for 9x21 major (@175-180PF) back in the early 90's when the P9 was a widely used platform.

BTW, I am loading for a 17L with 6.25" ported bbl so a 34 might need a little more charge than I am using. I tested up to 8.9 grains of 540 at the 1.135" OAL and it was good to go at 177 PF in my gun. Even though this is a 9x21 case I am using, this data is directly applicable to 9x19 and may actually generate slightly less pressure in 9x19 due to less case mouth bullet tension.

A 13lb captured spring set works best for me with this load, but I am running a ported bbl so your 34 may want something a tad heavier than that. I was ok with an 18lb spring when I ran this same gun major without the porting.

Regards,