Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help please - Brass Tilt, Super 1050, Super Comp, ugh.

R&D has a machine set up and has been playing with it. Hope to have something early next week. Will post when I do. :unsure:

thanks

Brass tilt not impacted by the grabbing effect noted above. This effect has been reduced dramatically with the use of Redding competition dies. The powder funnel and the crimping stations were doing this.

so we are down to the brass tilt impact still.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
R&D has a machine set up and has been playing with it. Hope to have something early next week. Will post when I do. :unsure:

thanks

Brass tilt not impacted by the grabbing effect noted above. This effect has been reduced dramatically with the use of Redding competition dies. The powder funnel and the crimping stations were doing this.

so we are down to the brass tilt impact still.

thanks

Machine on the way back to Dillon for RMA repair.

Nothing official yet, but after a considerable amount of testing, it appears that either the bevel where the case goes into the shellplate will be changed, or more polishing to the entryway to round the sharp edges at the entryway will be done. Smoothing the entrance area with a scotchbrite wheel helps considerably. No decision has been reached yet,but the R&D folks are still using the CAD software as an etch-o-sketch.

Nothing official yet, but after a considerable amount of testing, it appears that either the bevel where the case goes into the shellplate will be changed, or more polishing to the entryway to round the sharp edges at the entryway will be done. Smoothing the entrance area with a scotchbrite wheel helps considerably. No decision has been reached yet,but the R&D folks are still using the CAD software as an etch-o-sketch.

Thanks Dillon for the research. Go figure that a small fix like this would do it. My machine is back to you under RMA 111743 with an enclosed letter - should have it in a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks

For those of you following this thread. Dillon has isolated an issue with the shell plate and case plunger for 38 SC loading Starline. They have my machine and are working up a prototype plate. Ill know more soon.

Dillon is doing a great job and responding to this.

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
So, do you guys get the same grabbing effect at these two stations ? If the answer is no how do you properly flair and crimp on your machine ?

Again:

* New Starline .38 SC brass

* KISS

I have nothing for your tilt issue except that in my case it always seems to be media from tumbling that made it to that location. As for the "grabbing" use case lube. On new brass it makes a big difference, it's too clean.

Wow. Six months is a long time to be looking at this issue. Especially long since it is so wide spread. Any resolution on this yet?

Well I finally got fed up and decided to search the forums. My problem is with 40 brass, and a Super 1050. About 1-2 out of 10 or so will stick on entry into the shell plate. The front is slightly dipped down and if I pull it back ever so slightly, to even it out, it pops right in. Apparently the front of the rim is catching on the plate.

Like others, I have adjusted the plate seven ways from Sunday and can't fix it.

Gary

Folks-

Have a new Super 1050 wand got all to work sweet EXCEPT for every 8-10 rounds brass is either (1) jamming the shell plate when fed in or (2) fed on top of the shell plate. Starline NEW (never fired) brass. Unlubed.

Seems to have Dillon baffled. Ive replaced virtually every part including the shell plate (#3). Ive adjusted the shell plate up and down in lots of positions and cant seem to make it go away.

Im sure one of you brave souls have dealt with this.

Thank you,

Jay

Hi Jay:

Dillon isn't baffled - they know of this problem - it is a known issue.I had the same exact problem - I adjusted the collar on the shell plate until I was ready to be adjudicated. I spoke to Dillon and their Engineer, Chris Kersey, was kind enought to hand grind and polish a custom shell plate for me. I waited almost a month for it but it was worth it as it worked almost 95% of the time and with range brass to boot. I then cut down a 7 or 8# recoil spring to the same length as the case feeder shuttle spring and the increased spring pressure resulted in almost 100% reliability. There is increased wear on the cam (a $8.80 part - I suggest a spare before you need it)so keep the cam and roller surface lubricated and the bolt holding the roller to the shuttle tight. Dillon is prototyping a new shell plate because of this problem but, from what I have been told, to date it has not worked as well as the hand modified plates.

Good luck,

Walter (Grandpoobah)

• 4 weeks later...

Folks

For those of you following this thread. Dillon has isolated an issue with the shell plate and case plunger for 38 SC loading Starline. They have my machine and are working up a prototype plate. Ill know more soon.

Dillon is doing a great job and responding to this.

Jay

Really? I guess we all have our own standards for what is considered a great job. I have had this issue since I bought my 1050 two years ago and have been working with Dillon tech support since then with no resolution. For what I paid for the press, this should have been resolved years ago. Do some reading in the archives here and you will see that the majority of users have some issues with this.

My Super 1050 does the same things mentioned in this post. My old RL 1050 worked perfectly but I sold it :angry2: Ended up switching to the XL650 for 38 Supercomp and that works fine. Now waiting for my Dillon goods from Brian so I can return my borrowed XL650 goods. :wacko:

Prints have been drawn and we are waiting for sample shellplates specific to 38 SuperComp to arrive. Then we'll test it and see if that corrects the feeding issue. As soon as we get them in and test I will post the results.

• 1 month later...

Prints have been drawn and we are waiting for sample shellplates specific to 38 SuperComp to arrive. Then we'll test it and see if that corrects the feeding issue. As soon as we get them in and test I will post the results.

Good grief! 7 weeks since the last update on this and no resolution. Based on this thread, I and many others have had this issue for years.....Whats a few more. Thanks.

• 10 months later...

I have been using 9x19 shellplate for both 9x19 and .38 SC Starline brass and never had any problems.

Case head diameter difference between those is only about .001", groove diameter difference is little bigger and .38 SC feels little more "loose" in shellplate but like said never had any problems.

.223 head is about .01" smaller than 9x19 and .38 SC and groove diameter is little smaller than .38 SC - that may be the problem with .223 shellplate ?

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 1050 new in December. It loaded several thousand rounds flawlessly (.40 S&W, mixed brass.) Now it doesn't feed the brass consistently at all. I'll try some of the fixes mentioned here.

Well I finally got fed up and decided to search the forums. My problem is with 40 brass, and a Super 1050. About 1-2 out of 10 or so will stick on entry into the shell plate. The front is slightly dipped down and if I pull it back ever so slightly, to even it out, it pops right in. Apparently the front of the rim is catching on the plate.

Like others, I have adjusted the plate seven ways from Sunday and can't fix it.

Gary

The same problem with Benny's RL was fixed with the addition of a shim cut from the leaf of an old point feeler gauge added under the case feed plunger. This allowed the brass to slide directly into the shellplate without the "step" caused by the shellplate being at a slightly different elevation from the rim of the brass as it traveled into the shellplate " rim slot".

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've found the solution to my problem. I've been having primer issues, and there is lots of spilt powder on the machine. The little trough where the case slides into the shell plate also had a lot of powder in it, and I think this was causing the case to be higher than it was supposed to. After cleaning off all of the spilt powder, it's seems to be feeding cases without issue.