Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

demooner

ron00038

For demooning:

1. homemade tool from a golf club handle (works really well, and cheap. Also makes a dandy place to store your chamber brush)

2. tool from Brownell's

3. combo tool from CCW or mooncliptool.com

4. plier tool from CCW in plastic or aluminum

I've used all 4 options, and #1 works great but #4 is the fastest. I started with #1(still use it) and graduated to #4.

For remooning:

1. homemade tool from a pair of pliers

2. plier tool from Prudhome (supposedly discontinued), still on Brownell's website

3. combo tool from CCW or mooncliptool.com

4. plastic six positioin remooner from CCW

I've used 2-4, and by far, #3 rocks. I could load my old moons by hand (they were pretty well worn) but after getting a batch of new ones, my fingers ached. I got the CCW tool from Dillon, and then found out about moonclip tool.com. I compared the two side by side, and they are carbon copies. Without getting into who copied who, the tools function identically. It has a permanent place in my REVO kit bag. It's worth every penny of $40 plus shipping. Plus, it offers interchangeable mandrels in case you do multiple calibers/guns.

Clipping rounds into moonclips use fingers or stubborn brass use pliers. Demooning use a modified golf club handle like stated already.

+1. I use a set of channel-loks for the skinny 8-shot 357/38 clips. I bought the Brownells demooner tool when I got into this game, but the golf clup seems like the way to go if I had to start over.

I use a piece of plastic water pipe to strip the moonclips. you can pick a piece up at Menards for a couple of bucks. I make the piece long enough to hold 6pcs. of brass. You need a Dremel tool to cut the lip so it fits into the moon clip, then just twist. When you get 6pcs. in it tip it over to empty. Very easy to make, I've made several for my friends.

For Re-Mooning the clips with a .45 I like the CCW Remooner, it will do 2 at once and sure saves a lot of wear on the hands.

I also have a TK (I think) thats like a pair of pliers that I carry in my bag, just in case.

For De-Mooning I like the CCW Super De-Mooner, again it's quick and less tiresome.

I keep one of those that have a hollow tube with a notch in it in my bag, just in case.