Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 to .40

B_Seehawer

Probably been asked a million times but too lazy to look. Does a .40. Require. a different breechface. And does the barrel need to be supported? I want to shoot single stack and not sure if I can cheaply convert either of my .45's

Hello: I have a couple of 40's and 45 single stacks. I go back and forth on which one I like to shoot. I use 185 grain Precision bullets for the 40 and 200 grain Precision bullets for the 45. They do shoot different but I think I will try the 45 again since as Merlin says" it's a mans gun" :roflol: To answer your question ---no. I do have a Kimber that I can shoot 40 and 9mm with using the same slide and only change the barrel and mags. Thanks, Eric

Ok, thanks for the replies. How about .38 super to .40? Do I just need the breechface cut for .40?

Don't really have the cash for a new gun but I have 2 .45's and a .38 super. Yes, I know I can just shoot the .45's in single stack but one of them doesn't run for crap (My Kimber Eclipse) and my 2 colts I can't get to choke for anything.

Would I need to have the frame cut for ramped barrels since I would be shooting major .40 loads?

Thanks,

ganderman

Hello: The 38 super should be able to shoot the 40 or is it the 40 can shoot the 38 super. What is your Kimber doing? My Kimber Eclipse 10mm that I converted to 40 and 9mm had a badly adjusted extractor which I fixed with a little bend. The extractor was a little too loose for 10mm and that is why the guy sold it---cheap. I bought it and bent the extractor and it has worked fine ever since. Thanks, Eric

Can't sell the Kimber, wife bought it for me.

The problem is, it won't go into battery with a full magazine from slidelock. Yes, it is the external extractor that they don't use anymore. I've tried 3 brands of magazines and the only one it has the least amount of problems is with my 30 year old Colt magazine. Kimber customer service said that I can return the gun to them but I just hate doing that. Maybe its time to......

ganderman

two options, call brownells, order a new upper (slide barrel extractor) then take to area gunsmith to have ramp cut and slide fitted to frame, order new magazines, much money. second option sell one and buy one,

I did the first option with one of my springfield hi-caps, got what I wanted, but would have been cheaper to by a sti hi-cap new in the box, good-luck :closedeyes:

I know that this shouldn't work, but it did....

Years ago, I had a friend that was CHEAP. He wanted to play 38 Super. I had a Single Port LE-K comp with a non-ramped barrel that I wasn't using anymore, having upgraded to a dual-port (This was like 1988, so this was "advanced technology").

He asked for the barrel. I assumed that he was going to build a whole new top end, so I gave it to him. He shows up at the next match with his "new" gun, shooting Super. When I looked at it, I recognized some stuff that I had done to his old gun, so I checked closer. He was running Super out of a 45 Slide. He only changed the extractor. And it ran....

Can't sell the Kimber, wife bought it for me.

The problem is, it won't go into battery with a full magazine from slidelock. Yes, it is the external extractor that they don't use anymore. I've tried 3 brands of magazines and the only one it has the least amount of problems is with my 30 year old Colt magazine. Kimber customer service said that I can return the gun to them but I just hate doing that. Maybe its time to......

ganderman

...give it to a gunsmith to fix it so you can enjoy it.

Take the extractor off, re-check to see if it feeds the first round. Take the FP out, re-check. May only need a little feed ramp work at the chamber mouth.