Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 GR w/ Titegroup

MFP4073

Matt,

Use Clays with the 230 grain bullets. It shoots softer.

Thanks Dan. I would like to do some experimenting with Clays and 45. Parker has made this recommendation in the past as well. But given my last minute decision to shoot revolver instead of limited on Sunday I only have TG to work with right now.

BTW will you be at the match this weekend?

Edited by Whitey627

Matt,

Use Clays with the 230 grain bullets. It shoots softer.

Thanks Dan. I would like to do some experimenting with Clays and 45. Parker has made this recommendation in the past as well. But given my last minute decision to shoot revolver instead of limited on Sunday I only have TG to work with right now.

BTW will you be at the match this weekend?

I may be at the match, but not shooting, screwed up knee. I can't walk fast without it hurting, if there's a low port I'm toast. Kathie is talking about shooting.

Oh, and I didn't think my dog gave out loading data. :lol:

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I have used 4.4 - 4.7 grains of Titegroup for 115gr FMJ 9mm, 180gr FMJ .40, and 230gr FMJ .45.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp lists the range 12 4.4 - 4.8.

Looking back at my records from when I was shooting that through an M&P, 4.4gr gave me 685fps for a PF of 157.5 and 4.6gr gave me 721fps for 165.8.

I did not get the numbers Hodgdon publishes. They say 4.4gr should yield 744fps, but it didn't out of my M&P.

I shot a 625 in IDPA and USPSA for the past 3 years and I always loaded 230 grain Zeros or Montana Gold FMJs.

My load was 4.5 grains of TG. I never went minor or too high.... but be aware... that powder (which I still use) is very temprature sensative. I left my ammo in a car trunk at 35 degrees and it dropped the PF to the point where I used ALL my chrono loads to make major. If you let it get VERY hot.... your load will be too.

That's the only negative I have found out about TG.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I just loaded some 230 gr black bullets with Clays. Much softer than my TG loads. They also work well in my 1911. I plan to shoot revo after Gator. I wanna see if it will go any better. So far it has been really bad. Maybe a little practice will help.

• 3 weeks later...

tight group is just too low volume powder to work well in a large case like the .45 You are much better off with something with a much larger volume per grain, as the above poster stated your acuracy will suffer and it wont burn clean.

• 5 weeks later...
tight group is just too low volume powder to work well in a large case like the .45 You are much better off with something with a much larger volume per grain, as the above poster stated your acuracy will suffer and it wont burn clean.

Does the volume have anything to do with it? I've been shooting VV N310 for years in 45 behind Laser Cast 200 gr LSWC with excellent results....can't get a much smaller load then that...

• 7 months later...

Thanks for all the replies guys(allbeit a late thank you). Better late than never I guess. :) I forgot I posted this and just opened it to take another look and there were a ton of replies. I appreciate it!

I have been using TG to load 180GR 40's for several years with decent results. IIRC, I ended up using 4.5gr under the 230's for the revo. They worked well enough for the match but I would like to do some experiementing with Clays like Dan recommended. I really haven't picked up the REVO since that match. Been shooting limited and production this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shoot a lot of Titegroup in my 1911's but I won't use it in any of my revolvers. Titegroup loads seem to have more of a tendency for "flamecutting" of the topstrap in revolvers............Probably just me, but I won't shoot it in any of my revolvers anymore.

• 1 month later...