Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR mag pouch from Blade Tech, anyone used it yet?

Hoping it doesn't turn out to be junk, but it's from Blade Tech, it can't be that bad.

l_098000039_1.jpg

From the Brownell's site...

"Three individual magazine pouches capable of holding Mil-Spec 5.56mm 20- or 30-round magazines are mounted in this one piece rig. Features a 2" wide adjustable nylon loop with two vertical Velcro straps. Entire unit is mounted to a contoured hip/leg bracket with interior foam padding to protect your leg from excess rubbing during shooting exercises. Fully adjustable tension screws hold magazines firmly in place without the need for flaps to prevent excess noise and provide smooth, fast reloads. A second, 2" adjustable nylon strap fastens with a belt clip to hold the unit firmly in place around your leg below. "

So, can anyone provide some input for this rifle newbie? I had to get something to hold spare mags, looked at a bunch of pouches online, and this was the only one not requiring flaps or straps to retain the mags as well as not taking up much belt space that is normally occupied with pistol mags. From searching here it seems a lot of folks prefer a thigh rig for their rifle mags, but I have no idea if it's the majority or not.

If no one chimes in with experience with this piece of gear, I guess I'll post a review of sorts when it shows up.

I don't have that setup but use the Blade Tech ar mag pouches that go on my belt. The pouches in your picture are the same just mounted different. The pouches will hold magazines great, the screws on side will adjust the retention grip.

The belt mounted pouches I use have tread lock which allows them to be removed from your belt without removing belt. They work with Pmags or metal mags.

If you get the Nordic Pmag extension you end up with a 48 round magazine. Don't need to carry very many spares with one of those.

Brownells is great to deal with, if you are not happy they will take it back.

Have fun with your new gear,

Barry

I have one of those. It was one of the first pieces of gear that I bought when I started shooting 3 gun. It is a good quality item but I never use it and don't even take it to matches. The only place that I could see using it would be Ironman, and there I use a Beta Mag if I think I'm going to use that much ammo. Other than the Beta, I use Tripp 42 rounders or 2 cinched PMags. I carry one spare rifle mag on the back of my belt behind my pistol mags. If you think that you need more than one extra mag, get 2 Blade Tech mag holders and put them on your weak hand side towards the rear.

Doug

I'm not a big fan of thigh rigs - I find them slower to reload from, and the weight on my leg is distracting. I use one (a Specter Gear 4-mag monster) only when I feel the need for an extraordinary number of rifle mags, and when my belt is already full.

I have one of these and like everything else I have purchased from Blade Tech, it is great gear and frankly probably underpriced.

The main thing a thigh rig offers is getting that rifle ammo off of the main belt on a stage where you want back up rifle ammo but need most of the front of the belt for shotgun rounds and maybe some pisol mags. Since many of us now use clinched AR mags or the higher capacity mags, my rig does not see much use but I have found it to be helpful on some stage.

being on your thigh it is going to get more vigorous movement than something on your hip, so extra tension would be needed to keep them in place, otherwise when you need them they won't be there. (the voice of experience) just not with this particular product!!!!

trapr

Thanks for the input guys.

Since I'm just getting into rifles (besides just shooting groups), I figured I needed SOMETHING to practice reloads from. I currently have a Safariland mag doubler, but the top round cover for the spare mag is blocked by my scope mount so it's run it without (don't want the top round moving with recoil), or use something else. This will be a learning experience to figure out what works for me, so it's a starting point. I also have a Redi-mag on the way so I can play with that as well. Sure I could just get a couple big mags, but I figure learning to reload quickly is a skill I should work on as a beginner, get the fundamentals down pat so to speak.

One thing that has worked for me is coupling two Pmags together (made my own coupler that holds them at the same height). The top round hasn't walked out of the outside mag yet (like it will with aluminum mags). Pmags are easier for me to make a reload with also. As always, your results may differ. :cheers:

Hurley

One thing that has worked for me is coupling two Pmags together (made my own coupler that holds them at the same height). The top round hasn't walked out of the outside mag yet (like it will with aluminum mags). Pmags are easier for me to make a reload with also. As always, your results may differ. :cheers:

Hurley

I do not know what aluminum mags you are using with the coupler but I have never had one walk from my Brownells mags which I use coupler in competition. I am also using coupled PMags with no such problem.

I was using Brownell's aluminum mags as well. I almost always had to put the mag in at an angle to push the top round back far enough to let the mag go into the gun. I haven't had that problem at all with Pmags.

Hurley

Have never used the thigh rig mounted versions but have used the pouches themselves in 3 Gun matches and they are good. The fit with the more expesive version belt mounted pouch is a bit better but for the money you can't do better. Always used them on a belt angled but work great. Even used them during long gun quals with the agency.

Blade Tech makes great stuff, you will not be dissatisfied at all. I have one and use it for the Iron-Man once a year and love it. If you really need the magazines then this is the heat. I have even added CA. Competition shotgun shell pouches to the outside just for the Iron-Man. More is better sometimes:-)

Hope this helps...

RLTW,

Scott

The only Blade-Tech products I've ever owned have been their holsters, and I have been very satisfied with their quality.

It's personal preference as to wear your rifle mags. I've been using a 3-Gun Gear T-Rig with dual rifle pouches for several years. I like the thigh rig because I can use my USPSA pistol rig, and just add the T-rig and shell caddies when I play 3-Gun. It's easy to unclip the T-Rig when there isn't rifle on a stage. I find the thigh position fast and intuitive for me, even while prone. I always prefer overkill when it comes to carrying additional ammo, and I like the extra insurance of having a 2 spare rifle mags on me. Overkill always works. Good luck!

Since I'm just getting into rifles (besides just shooting groups), I figured I needed SOMETHING to practice reloads from. I currently have a Safariland mag doubler, but the top round cover for the spare mag is blocked by my scope mount so it's run it without (don't want the top round moving with recoil), or use something else. This will be a learning experience to figure out what works for me, so it's a starting point. I also have a Redi-mag on the way so I can play with that as well. Sure I could just get a couple big mags, but I figure learning to reload quickly is a skill I should work on as a beginner, get the fundamentals down pat so to speak.

funny, i was going to recommend you try the safariland coupler... i can't understand how your scope mount is getting in the way of the top round cover though- can you elaborate? if you want to use a coupler, i've found this to be the best coupler out there.

if you can reach the bolt release on the redi-mag intuitively, that should work well, but i find it interferes with running your hand out onto the forearm as quickly after hitting the release.

i love belt mag pouches for the ar, particularly ready tactical's pouches, but any kydex pouch would work. the drop-leg rig you mentioned seems like it would work well, but i'd just run it as high as possible so as not to interfere as much with your running and improve your reload efficiency.

I was using Brownell's aluminum mags as well. I almost always had to put the mag in at an angle to push the top round back far enough to let the mag go into the gun. I haven't had that problem at all with Pmags.

Hurley

I always run 28 in mine at matches but I run 30 at practice and I have never had the problem you describe or heard of it. What lower are you using that requires you to instert the mag at an angle to push the top round back far enough for the mag to insert into the gun?

• 4 weeks later...

Hurley

I always run 28 in mine at matches but I run 30 at practice and I have never had the problem you describe or heard of it. What lower are you using that requires you to instert the mag at an angle to push the top round back far enough for the mag to insert into the gun?

Charles, sorry for the long wait to reply.

I always load both mags to 30 and then load one from the left mag at Make Ready. I then swap to the right mag before I give the RO the nod, this way I have 31 rounds in the gun at the start and I will have an easier time seating the extra mag under a closed bolt when/if I reload. With aluminum mags, I have experienced that the top round has moved out past the front edge of the magazine when I was ready to reload,thus the magazine would not go into the magwell (BTW, I have used Rock River and Colt lowers, but don't know of any that will let you insert a mag straight in with a bullet hanging out over the front edge). So in the heat of the moment, I would cam the magazine in from the rear until it would go into the magwell (kind of like loading an M14/M1A).

I have thought about this since you first mentioned that you didn't have this issue and I do out of the same basic mags, I wonder if my rifle maybe recoils a little quicker due to being iron sighted instead of having glass on top of it, or mabe all of the graphite that I have put in the mags is a contributing factor, I don't know.

Hurley

funny, i was going to recommend you try the safariland coupler... i can't understand how your scope mount is getting in the way of the top round cover though- can you elaborate? if you want to use a coupler, i've found this to be the best coupler out there.

if you can reach the bolt release on the redi-mag intuitively, that should work well, but i find it interferes with running your hand out onto the forearm as quickly after hitting the release.

i love belt mag pouches for the ar, particularly ready tactical's pouches, but any kydex pouch would work. the drop-leg rig you mentioned seems like it would work well, but i'd just run it as high as possible so as not to interfere as much with your running and improve your reload efficiency.

Sorry for the long delay with a reply Sheik, don't know how I missed checking back on this post.

I run a Bobro scope mount, and the lever does extend a bit over the left side of the rifle, just enough that I hit my thumb on it as I'm swinging in to trip the top round protector. The Safariland coupler is a great coupler, I practiced with it quite a bit with irons, didn't realise I had a problem till I got to the range with the scope on.

I've played around with the Redi-mag during dry fire practice and it works pretty slick. I have an extended bolt catch (similar to the Magpul BAD) made by Phase 5 Tactical, so I can work the bolt with my trigger finger, no delay due to trying to release the bolt with the Redi-mag. I do have to hack it up with a drill press and dremmel to take some weight off of it though, whenever I manage to find the time.

I did get the Blade Tech thigh rig, but have yet to practice with it, once I do I'll post an update with how I like it. Figure starting from scratch it's just building muscle memory and I have no preconcieved notions of anything different so it shouldn't take much.

As RZ mentioned, I like the idea of not messing with my regular belt setup, just clip on the rifle carrier when needed, no rearanging the pistol mag pouches.

Thanks for the help all.

Hurley

I always load both mags to 30 and then load one from the left mag at Make Ready. I then swap to the right mag before I give the RO the nod, this way I have 31 rounds in the gun at the start and I will have an easier time seating the extra mag under a closed bolt when/if I reload. With aluminum mags, I have experienced that the top round has moved out past the front edge of the magazine when I was ready to reload,thus the magazine would not go into the magwell (BTW, I have used Rock River and Colt lowers, but don't know of any that will let you insert a mag straight in with a bullet hanging out over the front edge). So in the heat of the moment, I would cam the magazine in from the rear until it would go into the magwell (kind of like loading an M14/M1A).

I have thought about this since you first mentioned that you didn't have this issue and I do out of the same basic mags, I wonder if my rifle maybe recoils a little quicker due to being iron sighted instead of having glass on top of it, or mabe all of the graphite that I have put in the mags is a contributing factor, I don't know.

Hurley

Thanks for the info. I did as you describe once upon a time at load and make ready but have never run more than 28 rounds in a mag in a match. I feel like they would work fine but have just decided to play if safe since I am likely going to need to reload anyway.

My gun does shoot rather soft and I do not use any graphite in the mags. I am using a SAW Custom comp and a M16 recoil spring and buffer so my rilfe shoots rather soft and actually soft enough that unless you use the handguard to keep the rifle pushed back into your shoulder I can induce a feed failure. Of course as you note, I have the optic in place and it is a Elcan DR Spector which is far from light weight. On the other side of coin I am running XM193 which not at all a light load.

My sense is to try the simple fix first and just run you a mag or two through the gun that is graphite free and see if that changes things.

Good luck.

Hurley

Hurley

Thanks for the info. I did as you describe once upon a time at load and make ready but have never run more than 28 rounds in a mag in a match. I feel like they would work fine but have just decided to play if safe since I am likely going to need to reload anyway.

My gun does shoot rather soft and I do not use any graphite in the mags. I am using a SAW Custom comp and a M16 recoil spring and buffer so my rilfe shoots rather soft and actually soft enough that unless you use the handguard to keep the rifle pushed back into your shoulder I can induce a feed failure. Of course as you note, I have the optic in place and it is a Elcan DR Spector which is far from light weight. On the other side of coin I am running XM193 which not at all a light load.

My sense is to try the simple fix first and just run you a mag or two through the gun that is graphite free and see if that changes things.

Good luck.

So far, Pmags have cured this problem. It's funny, one would think that the polymer feed lips would be slicker than the aluminum and would make the problem worse.

Hurley

Hurley

Hurley

Good luck.

So far, Pmags have cured this problem. It's funny, one would think that the polymer feed lips would be slicker than the aluminum and would make the problem worse.

Hurley

PMags work well and they hold the top round in a more secure manner than the aluminum mags. Becasue the polymer feed lips are as you note slicker, the design of the PMag is more centered on holding the top round in place until the bolt raises it up onto the feed lips. And the new couplers for the PMags truly rock!

Edited by Charles Bond

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not a big fan of thigh rigs - I find them slower to reload from, and the weight on my leg is distracting. I use one (a Specter Gear 4-mag monster) only when I feel the need for an extraordinary number of rifle mags, and when my belt is already full.

I agree. Not a three gun issue but during basic entry training I hated having to low crawl with a thigh pistol rig. The damn thing would always shift on your leg no matter how tight you made the straps.

Pat