Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning mag well in the future?

DownUnder

The cutout at the front of the Tanfoglio magwell is a constant annoyance. It seems to be right where I want to slide the mag in on a rushed change. Is there a Henning designed mag well in the future?

I'd like a mag well that is flared and deep all around and secures to the frame the same as the current mag well on the Gold Custom/Eric, etc. It shouldn't take too much designing to extend the existing mag well and shape it into a real funnel, like the type found on STI/SVI. I know that there are other mag wells out there, but I don't want to hack at the frame to fit them.

The cutout at the front of the Tanfoglio magwell is a constant annoyance. It seems to be right where I want to slide the mag in on a rushed change. Is there a Henning designed mag well in the future?

I'd like a mag well that is flared and deep all around and secures to the frame the same as the current mag well on the Gold Custom/Eric, etc. It shouldn't take too much designing to extend the existing mag well and shape it into a real funnel, like the type found on STI/SVI. I know that there are other mag wells out there, but I don't want to hack at the frame to fit them.

There are a number of us who want a bigger well. I recently got the opportunity to handle the weld on magwell done by Richard at Canyon Creek. It feels very good and looked good! My problem is I then have to have my gun refinished.....again! If you are planning to do custom work on the gun, I would try to work the weld on magwell into the job. I think it is the only current solution and it works!

I have Rich's CanyonCreek magwell installed in three of my guns and I do love them. I think it's the ultimate magwell as long as you're willing to weld it on. I have plans to make a slide-on magwell and it'll be a project this winter. However a slide-on will be a compromise compared to a weld-on and the fit it provides.

Pistol smiths are few and far between in Australia and it usually requires sending the pistol interstate (3,000 miles!) via post. Lots of chances for things to go astray. Then there is the problem of re-finishing. Talking big $$$ to do any of this in Australia. So, a slide-on that fills the gap at the front of the grip and is a bit deeper and wider will be just fine. Put me down for one already.

PS - I forgot to mention that in Australia we are restricted to 10 round magazines, so we do a LOT of reloads in our stages and the current Tanfoglio design is quickly shown as lacking when you do 30 or so mag changes during a big match.

Edited by DownUnder

I have a Canyon Creek Custom magwell and I love that thing. Not only are reloads cleaner but I seem to get a more consistent grip on the gun. By the way, I did not have my magwell welded on. I used a industrial grade epoxy. Trust me, that thing is not going anywhere. Add a set of Hennings full length grips and you get rid of that annoying gap in the inside of your grip.

I have a Canyon Creek Custom magwell and I love that thing. Not only are reloads cleaner but I seem to get a more consistent grip on the gun. By the way, I did not have my magwell welded on. I used a industrial grade epoxy. Trust me, that thing is not going anywhere. Add a set of Hennings full length grips and you get rid of that annoying gap in the inside of your grip.

What type of epoxy did you get,....is it common to regular hardware stores.....what should its qualities be?

• 1 month later...

I would be first in line for a bolt-on "big mouth" magwell!

The CCC looks good but welding, epoxying, refinishing frame, new grips (already spent the $$ on the short alu grips) isnt as appealing as a simple bolt-on affair...hint, hint, Henning ;)

I have Rich's CanyonCreek magwell installed in three of my guns and I do love them. I think it's the ultimate magwell as long as you're willing to weld it on. I have plans to make a slide-on magwell and it'll be a project this winter. However a slide-on will be a compromise compared to a weld-on and the fit it provides.

Henning

How about your guide rod? I'm looking forward for it. :goof:

"I would be first in line for a bolt-on "big mouth" magwell!

The CCC looks good but welding, epoxying, refinishing frame, new grips (already spent the $$ on the short alu grips) isnt as appealing as a simple bolt-on affair...hint, hint, Henning"

+1

Edited by olp73

Henning

How about your guide rod? I'm looking forward for it. :goof:

Maybe one in aluminum??? There is enough weight in that gun as is. More than enough.

Something like this would be phenomenal! This was a one-off made by Frank Sparby but he said it took way too much time for him to replicate. Appears to be a bolt on/slide on deal...Im waiting on the details on how he attached it. Please Henning make something like this!

MagwellM004.jpg

MagwellM016.jpg

Something like this would be phenomenal! This was a one-off made by Frank Sparby but he said it took way too much time for him to replicate. Appears to be a bolt on/slide on deal...Im waiting on the details on how he attached it. Please Henning make something like this!

MagwellM004.jpg

MagwellM016.jpg

If you miss that one, quit!!!

I don't understand why there is so much push back on using the Canyon Creek magwell? You can epoxy it on instead of welding it and that is a super easy process. The added weight of it and the way it completes the base of your grip greatly reduce the recoil as well.

To me, these guns are incomplete without the Canyon Creek magwell. At least for competition that is.

Something like this would be phenomenal! This was a one-off made by Frank Sparby......

I'm NOT stealing the cred for this mag. well. It's mad by Lars Tony "Skogis" Skoog, Sweden. He's a toolmaker at Sandvik Tools in Sweden and one of the very best Open shooters in Scandinavia.

Skoogis made this one for himself, and when converting to the enemy (1911) i traded him for it.

I asked him before the trade to copy it for me, but there were not even a small possibillity to that was going to happen.

The best with a well this size is the grip you'll get.

I don't understand why there is so much push back on using the Canyon Creek magwell? You can epoxy it on instead of welding it and that is a super easy process. The added weight of it and the way it completes the base of your grip greatly reduce the recoil as well.

To me, these guns are incomplete without the Canyon Creek magwell. At least for competition that is.

For me: If I am going to well something on it has to be made of the same material as the rest of the gun. Mine is blue steel and I don’t like the Idea of welling on something made of stainless steel.

The Tanfoglio frames are carbon steel with a black oxide coating/bluing or a hard chrome finish. The majority of the guns I work on are hard chromed so a stainless magwell looks correct to the gun. The stainless mw can be coated to a color you desire, the bonus with stainless is it can be sanded/polished without having to refinish it. The inside of a mw gets dinged up with use and it is easy to sand it smooth and polish it with stainless.

The factory aluminum mw is anodized and can be damaged too easily, once the anodizing is cracked or wore off the whole piece has to be stripped and reanodized or you just have to deal with raw aluminum which is even easier to damage. The factory mw is lacking in many aspects that is why I designed the mw I did. A full length grip panel is much more desirable than a 2/3rds grip meeting a mw that isn't of the same contour. Tanfoglios mw design makes it easy for them to produce multiple models without having to make more than one frame.

Welding the mw onto the frame is the strongest method of attachment, epoxy works and if you want to remove it you just heat it up and it will come off, it can be pinned or even attached with screws if you want. Since there is no reason to remove the mw to service the gun, welding it on makes the most sense. Also if done properly it gives the cleanest look and with Henning's grips it looks fantastic.

I designed this mw to improve the the gun and make the gun fit the shooter better. The design has been well received by many and I'm in the middle of another run of them being made right now. I can't make everyone happy with multiple designs and expect to be in the business of making parts very long.

Rich

Hi Shooters

I made this slide on attempt about 2005-06, has been posted before.

It is based on the factory MW, but with larger shoulders, lands & radii to aid

grip/hand compression. (& suit my medium-small hands).

Currently only has a mouth opening as per factory size but could be opened right up.

I don't have time to make these with a busy family, but if it helps give anyone ideas,

discussion or some project assistance then I am happy.

Regards Lee

post-16159-1258731439_thumb.jpg

post-16159-1258731527_thumb.jpgpost-16159-1258731497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floydian

I've seen a couple of Canyon Creek MWs. One welded one epoxy. I cant see anything bad about them, they look great, give you a hole bigger than my ego to hit. And they make it even easier to get a really good grip on the gun. The left hand puts pressure on the top of the mag well and really locks it in. Mine is going to go to Rich as soon as finances allow.

Lee: You do some VERY NICE work! :cheers:

What material did you use for the project?

What angle did you use on the opening?

What are the final dimensions of the piece...Length, width and height?

Thanks for the info!!!

Hi ks-shooter & thanks,

Material is 6061 Aluminium, glass bead blasted.

Angle is factory, 45 degree or 90 degree included angle cutter.

Length is 2.795" x Width 1.960" x Height .990"

Found an old pic of an earlier attempt on our 9mm.

Cheers Lee

post-16159-1258976957_thumb.jpg

Lee,

Thanks for the info, but now I also have to ask about the Trigger. Who made it?

Tom

Hey Tom

I did this trigger just by templating the factory trigger over 7075 Aluminium billet.

Just gave it more depth & a flat face on the back to make it look cool.

I always admired the old "P9 World Cups" trigger being made of aluminium and

wanted to give it a try. Works ok but aluminium does not lever/break the sear

with the same crisp feel as steel.

Regards Lee post-16159-1259148211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floydian