Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snake gun

Mikej

and have seen a few of the bad snakes along my road. I want a revolver that I can load with some snake shot. It needs to be small enough to carry comfortably all day. Any suggestions?

I'd never discourage anyone from carrying, but realistically, copperheads and rattlers just want away from you. Making noise and carrying a walking stick should be adequate to avoid a snakebite. Cottonmouths (not sure if you have them in Alabama) can be a more aggressive, but a good stick or hoe is a better snake tool.

I don't kill them unless they're in or near the house. I'd rather have snakes than mice and rats.

We do have the cottonmouths and they can be aggressive. I am more concerned about my pets and grandkids than myself and plan to kill any of the bad snakes that I see close to the place. I noticed the thread talking about the inexpensive Model 64's. That seems like a nice little gun that might work.

Only reason I would kill one is if I couldn't get it away from wherever my kid is. I chased one out of the yard and it came back so...

I almost stepped on another. I literally put my foot about an inch from it's head. Believe me when I looked down and saw it I was doing a serious HOLY SH!# MYSELF WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM dance. It could've bitten me easily but it didn't. I even thought my Dad was playing a joke on me and threw a rubber snake on the ground (it was at the gate to the family mountain "cabin") just to screw with me. But then he slithered off and the afforementioned dance started all over again.

Anecdotally, I spent the first 17 years of my life running through the woods and never saw a single rattlesnake. I heard two, but they are very, very, very rarely encountered in the wilderness. They are more visible on the roads simply because you're moving too fast for them to get away, and you can see them against the background.

Copperheads can be a bit more aggressive, they tend to hunker down instead of flee. They always seemed to be more of a dusk/dark snake encounter-wise, and at creeks.

I suggest education rather than killing them. Kids aren't going to mess with a snake naturally, although dogs can get in trouble.

H.

There are lots of revolvers that you can shoot shot out of. CCI makes a bunch of different calibers with snake shot, .22, .38, 44 and .45 at least. Or you can go with something purpose built like the Judge. If it was me, I'd carry a single shot load and the rest would be real ammo. It'd suck to need it against a two legged predator and be stuck with a round that will likely only piss off anything over about 5 pounds. I also wouldn't count on the .22 being all that effective. If you stick to the .38 and larger calibers the cheapest are going to be the ton of old police .38's that are still floating around. A beat up Model 10 will work just fine for snakes. A stainless gun like the 64 would require less mainanence though. Or just get a gun you can do multiple things with. Nothing says you can't carry a 625 or a 627 around the house and use it to shoot matches on the weekends.

You should be able to find an inexpensive used .38 revolver at any gun or pawn shop that would do just fine. I have an old Ruger Single Action .22 that I have put shot into. It's pretty good for rats but never tried it on a snake.

But basically having hiked a lot in desert and scrub areas, a walking stick will deal with most anything that comes close and is a lot easier to use (e.g. it's a lot closer to the snake to start with and is easier to aim).

+1 on using the 625. I load these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=682652.

Yeah I know there for .45 LC, I just load them to cylinder length and the case volume is the approx. the same as an acp load. IIRC it's about 170gr. with #8 shot. I didn't buy any shot, I just opened up a couple of shells I already had. Only took 2 or 3 shells to get plenty of shot. I use the bottom end of load data with your powder of choice. They make the same style of shell in .38, they work well in my J frame.

My practice range has had some rattle snake problems. It's hard to hear them with muffs on, I guess another good reason to step up to electronic muffs.

Kevin

ETA here's the .38 shells http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=313962

Edited by kevinj308

+1 to Chuck's advice. A Speer .38 shot load will handle snakes reliably to 10 feet, the .44 version does it to 20 (don't shoot for the head... the skull is tough enough to handle the small shot... shoot for the neck/body just behind the head... instant stop... I've killed a pile of them during the last 30 years). As for whether or not one wants to shoot a poisonous snake just because it's a poisonous snake... I feel this way: I live on two acres in the middle of a North Florida State Forest. If I see a poisonous snake on, or near, my property ( we have Eastern Diamondbacks, Cottonmouths, and Pigmy rattlers) I kill it. I figure I was fortunate to see it first this time. I may not be so fortunate the next time, and snakes tend to hang around. I'm not risking the ill, and sometimes permanent, affects of a poisonous snake bite just to be "green". I've seen people lose the use of a hand, arm, or foot from a bite that didn't kill them.

Chris Christian

We live near LaGrange CA. My wife and I kill about 6 to 8 rattle snakes a year. We keep a 3 inch "J" frame Mod 650 loaded with 22 mag snake shot handy. I think the gun is discontinued, but it is very effective. I was in the live and let live group until a $1800. vet bill for snake bite convinced me otherwise. I'm not sure I would spend that again for my $100. dog from the pound. I told the wife not to get bit. Richard

I was in the live and let live group until a $1800. vet bill for snake bite convinced me otherwise. I'm not sure I would spend that again for my $100. dog from the pound. I told the wife not to get bit.

At least you know where to take her! ;)

I was in the live and let live group until a $1800. vet bill for snake bite convinced me otherwise.

$1800? The last time I took a dog to the vet for a snakebite, the bill was $15 for a steroid shot and another $10 or $15 for some antibiotics. On the advice of the vet, we usually just give an aspirin and a warm place to sleep unless the bite is near an airway or the dog is in pain. Dogs can handle snake venom better than we can.

The only good snake is a dead snake. I have walked up on plenty of snakes that had no intention of backing down. When I am outside and working on my property I carry a Rossi 88. It was a cheap little 38 and has never failed me even though I have put plenty of rounds through it at the range and some rat shot through it out back.

I would agree that most snakes just want to get away from you, however, the bad ones (around here in Missouri) are very aggressive. I have experienced multiple snake "charges" and by the grace of the good Lord was able to draw and shoot in time. These werent situations where you stumbled on a snake, the snakes bolted from 20+ feet away which oughta be a safe distance. I have had at least 3 of those scenarios in the last 2 years and it would have been me/the boy or the dog had I not got effective fire on target. I'm sure I'd be fine getting bit knowing some basic first aid, however if your child gets bit it would be tough to deal with rapid spread of venom in a small (hard to calm) body.

PS

if bitten & still able, I would kill the snake to make myself feel better.

If they are in MY space ..ALL dangerous snakes meet Natasha ( my shotgun)

Bull snakes and the like ...get handled, named and set free :closedeyes:

Any revo will shoot snake loads, 38 spec to 44 mag ammo is out there...410 if you like :rolleyes:

Pick one that does double duty as a carry gun...kinda like killing Two snakes with one stone :cheers:

When I weigh a snake in one hand ...and family in the other.....the snake loses every time.

Jim

Here you go.

There's other grades available for a little higher price. Everybody always talks about how M10s and M64s are a dime a dozen, but I've been seeing less and less of them. All of the usual suspects are out except for J&G, and have been for a while. My girl's uncle was telling me the other day about how he remembers SKSs selling for $75, or a case of 10 for $650. Those days are long gone.

I've got mine already, as I'm sure a lot of you do, but I'd pick one up ASAP if you don't already!

Edited by Revopop

Here you go.

There's other grades available for a little higher price. Everybody always talks about how M10s and M64s are a dime a dozen, but I've been seeing less and less of them. All of the usual suspects are out except for J&G, and have been for a while. My girl's uncle was telling me the other day about how he remembers SKSs selling for $75, or a case of 10 for $650. Those days are long gone.

I've got mine already, as I'm sure a lot of you do, but I'd pick one up ASAP if you don't already!

Oh man :surprise: ...great price on the Smiths

But....But....they also have a WILDEY :surprise: I have wanted one for ever... :mellow:

Jim