Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to buy a new computer

Built a bad@$$ desktop for less than $800 a couple of months ago. Quad core 2.5gh, 320GB 10,000rpm HD, Windows 7, etc. I like it a lot.

Likewise..Gigabyte mobo, 2.8gh Quad core, 1T HD (sata), W7-64 bit, 8Gig memory, Antec 300 case, Samsung DVD....all for less than $800. Of course, you have to feel comfy doing it!

Tigerdirect has some great kits you build yourself, plus they have guides. They are listed under "Barebones Kits". For $1000, you can get what would have cost you $3000 from one of the "biggies." I built a Home Theater PC, my home office and office PC myself.

As far as components, they are packaged, but decide waqht you need. Are you watching TV/DVDs on your computer, HD video processing, games, basic Internet and word processing stuff?

Their #1 selling kit: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=B69-0124

We have 4 of these at the office.

If you want a basic great laptop that will go 3 years and really get it done-the iBook 13" is great. I have a 15" Compaq laptop for Windows/Office that is 2years old that cost 600-the software cost more than the computer costs. Like the guys above,build one if you have time. If I had one computer to buy-Apple iBook.

I just bought one like Matti's above, direct from HP, 64bit Vista (they'll give you W7 when it comes out, but I had it already), 6GB ram, 640GB HD (slower than Matt's).. fast memory bus and fast main bus.. just under $600. You could upgrade about everything

Intel® Core 2 Quad processor Q9300 [2.5GHz, 6MB L2, 1333MHz FSB]

Memory 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

http://www.shopping.hp.com, Amazon has a link to a coupon, for $75 off.

Nothing else I could find between Dell refurbs, Costco, etc.. could touch it.

I don't know jack shiznit about computers. But the boy wanted the $3k Macbook for college. That is a pretty sweet machine. But you know the deal, I am on a 5 year old gateway desktop that my neighbor keeps running for me.

I buy all things computer from Newegg.com. If you're not one to build computers, they have some nice ready built desktops for less than 1000 bucks. You could even buy a computer with crappy memory or hard drive and then easily upgrade it yourself (saving money in the process as weird as that sounds).

I buy all things computer from Newegg.com. If you're not one to build computers, they have some nice ready built desktops for less than 1000 bucks. You could even buy a computer with crappy memory or hard drive and then easily upgrade it yourself (saving money in the process as weird as that sounds).

+1 on Newegg. If you shop carefully and watch their specials, you can really make out well.

First off, I have owned Dell computers exclusively for the past 15 years. Also, I always buy from their Small Business line - there are better deals on better computers, without being forced to buy and uninstall un-wanted software and crapware. My personal choice for the office has always been their Optiplex desktops, but the new Vostro line looks just as appealing.

For the best buy in a computer, I turn to a little known think called the Dell Outlet. These are computers that have either been returned with a faulty component or returned because they were the wrong spec or never delivered or all kinds of other reasons. They are "refurbished" and come with a full factory warranty (I always get computers with a 3 year warranty), and I have had both desktop and laptops from them without issue.

The trick is to figure out what you want and then go to the Outlet and look to see if they have one that matches your requirements. The search engine there is pretty incredible. You may have to wait a few days, but the stock turns over extremely fast so if you see one that appeals to you, get it right then and there or it may be gone an hour later.

One of the interesting things about the outlet is that these systems are ready to ship which means they go out the door very fast.

If you are not in a rush, wait for Windows 7 to release.

If you are buying new and want the best value for your money, have a look at the Vostro 420. With an Intel E7500 (Core Duo) CPU, 4GB memory, and a Radeon 4350 video card, the price is under $700. That's going to be my next office computer.

Every time I've purchased from Newegg, shipping has been free (items big and small). My 2 monitors aren't enormous (around 23-24 inches 1080 hdmi), but where can you find them for 150 each shipped but Newegg? If you sign up for their e-mail, they send some great weekly deals. Newegg is probably the only retail e-mail subscription that I open up nowadays.

+1 on Newegg. If you shop carefully and watch their specials, you can really make out well.

OK, here goes, sorry for the long post but there are a lot of little things that will help in this decision. :D

Look around at the prices for built PC's on the big name companies OR, if you can build your own, what it will cost to part a box together from a site like newegg. Most companies will have a "price point" that is a pretty obvious break between the cost of an above average box and the "bleeding edge tech" boxes. Most of the time the difference between the above average and the bleeding edge is a matter of 4 to 6 months in time. :D You can cut hundreds off of a box by not buying bleeding edge tech.

FIRST, I would strongly suggest looking at what the Operating system you will be running will support processor wise OR be willing to plan for the future and buy something you can not use to it's fullest at the moment. Most of the current Windows Operating systems only support a DUAL processor unless you buy something like Vista Ultimate edition. The different flavors of Linux can support more cores by default but, I don't know what your familiarity is with Linux so I will leave that choice up to you.

I would ALWAYS suggest a high end video CARD (NOT-integrated) with at least 512mb of ram if not more. Video is one of the major slow downs of a lot of boxes, especially when using Vista with all the graphic "cool stuff" turned on. Make sure it is at least a PCI-X 16 card and that the motherboard has one PCI-X 16 slot, if not more than one.... The nice thing about cards is that they can be upgraded and extend the life of your PC. Get a good motherboard too. As others above have said Giga-byte is a VERY good manufacturer. I had about 2 bad boards from them a year... If I built a box..it would have a Gigabyte in it.

Otherwise go with 2GB of ram, a good and fast SATA-II drive or two, a good 400 watt or more power supply, and a decent case that has QUIET fans and good airflow.

On the RAM, unless again, your operating system supports more than 3GB of ram natively...why buy more if it will not be utilized correctly. 32bit OS' like standard windows can see up to 4GB but that includes the vid card memory so you can only *effectively* use 3.5 GB of ram including your video card. So if you buy a vid card with 1GB of ram and then put 4gb in the Motherboard... You are at 5GB and the system will just look at the other 1.5GB and say "wow, that is nice...wish I could use it correctly." If you get a 64bit OS then you don't have that issue and can slap a silly amount of RAM in a box :D more than you probably need! Heh! ;)

I prefer having two hard drives, one smaller one with the operating system on it and a second larger one with the data on it. That simple trick has saved me more times than I care to count at work, Systems I built at my stores, and at home. If the OS drive goes out OR you get a virus and have to reinstall your operating system, your data is fine!! I will normally put a backup of the stuff I just cant loose in a file on the other drive just to be on the safe side... (me paranoid...never! LOL) If you can only go with one, again, look for the price point breaks and get a SATA-II at least a 7200rpm or a 10,000 rpm if you can afford it.

If you build it yourself, don't scrimp on the power supply and case!!! The power supply is pretty much the heart of the PC and I have seen time and again people drop a LOT of $$ on a system and get the cheapest Power supply they can and then wonder why, in a year, the Power supply dies and takes their expensive computer with it in a surge of sparks and smoke..... :sick: I spent 10.00 more per Power supply at my stores and actually SAVED $$ on warranty work by NOT having to replace power supplies and fried systems...trust me...it is worth it! Same with the case fans. Generally the quieter the fans, the better they are. I really like Zalman for most things and Thermaltake is a close second. Their stuff just generally works, and works well. I do think that coolermaster makes some good fans and cases as well. I have a coolermaster case on my box right now with three 120mm fans and a Thermaltake CPU fan, and it is whisper quiet.

The final decision on what to get is up to you though depending on what your *needs* are. With PC's there is a big difference between what you "want" and what you "need" and if you are aware of that it can help you make some good decisions.

By the way, most of my boxes last at least 5 years with only some minor upgrades. I have spent considerably less than my friends that buy a new box every 2 years by just getting a good solid UPGRADEABLE platform. My current box has had a Processor upgrade, RAM upgrade, and a vid card upgrade and is now almost 6 years old. :D It runs Command and conquer 3 just fine at HD resolution with most of the graphics goodies turned on.

It is all about planning for the future! :D

(edited for my bad spelling LOL)

Edited by Classic_jon