Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visual exercise

TravisT

OK.  I had filed TT's drill away as something to do once I got some other basic skills ironed out.

I was doing the Instant Message thing, discussing a stage with DBChaffin.  He pointed me back to this post (that guy is sharp).

So...on the actual shooting...which is faster?  Taking the time to draw and line up on a distant target and getting the faster transition to a closer target, or getting the faster draw at the close target and taking the extra transition time to get to the far target?  At what distances does it become a wash?

(Edited by Flexmoney at 4:24 pm on May 2, 2002)

Well, sometime ago I did set up three full targets at 7, 10 and 15 yards for the purpose of testing my near to far vs. far to near times. Sorry for not posting the results, but I didn't come away with anything earth shattering. I fired several strings each way and don't remember the times now.  What I did learn from the session....There wasn't a lot of difference either way, but when the gun came up on the 15 yard target quickly after the draw the times were a couple of tenths quicker.  I did have a couple of runs when the first shot on the 15 yard target took too long to get off.  This was due to my inability to get the sight into the A zone as consistently as a I could at yards for the first shot.  Obviously, I need more dry fire at that range to eliminate the problem of quickly getting the sight on the A zone at 15 yards.  I was also able to seemingly call my shots better by starting at 15 than at 7.  I would be interested to see what findings others come up with also.

I gave it a few quick runs today.  I used Ron's drill...one target a 7 yards, another at 15 yards, 5 yards lateral spread between the two.  My "shooting box" was in the middle.  I went from a surrender draw...going for speed, shooting minor.  

My overall time was about .25 faster if I started on the 7 yard target.

I would like to explore this more.  My practice today wasn't very scientific.

When I was a kid I had a lazy eye so I had to do eye exercises to strengthen the lazy eye.   One that I still do occasionally is to fully extend your arm and hold up your index finger.  Slowly bring your finger in and touch your nose while keeping both eyes focused on your finger tip.  Then slowly move your finger to the far left edge of your vision keeping both eyes focused on your finger tip (only your left eye will move, but it's important to control both eyes) Then slowly move your finger to the far right edge of your vision again focusing both eyes on your finger tip.

After doing this exercise for awhile, try crossing your eyes (staring at your nose).  Keep one eye locked staring at your nose and slowly roll the other eye in a full circle without moving the locked eye.  Then switch eyes.  I guarantee you'll have a headache, but you'll really be able to gross out people at parties!

This exercise really helped me with double vision when I was a kid.

• 2 months later...

Once you pass 40 you need all the help you can get with quicker focus.  Any drill which helps you see the object in focus faster is great.  Trap shooters have used a drill like this for years, it was called "Seeing the Extra Target".  Also distance is a big issue when you try to focus.  Close you can use one, far is better with two.  My eye doc has the technical explanation...if the kids just knew how good they have it...

Can some one explain TT's drill to me, all his posts are empty. And I think I can bennifit from this one. I'm righty/left-eyed and I am only able to shoot well with both eyes open at close range, and would like to be able to do it all the time.

Here's what I have archived on my computer:

TravisT:

Objective: Increasing the speed of your focal shift, strengthening of the stereopsis and fusion faculties, and improving your ability to shoot irons with both eyes open (binocular vision).

Materials needed: A piece of string approximately 6 feet in length. 4 beads (or something similar), two white and two red.

Construction: Attach one end of the string to a solid object (I use a wall, but make certain it’s a plain background), at a height level with your nose. Thread the 4 beads onto the string, starting with a white bead first. Alternate the colors (white, red, white, red) and place them 12 inches apart. The gap between the wall and the first bead (should be a white bead) is 12 inches.

Execution: While holding the loose end of the string to the tip of your nose (there should be 12 inches between the first red bead and your nose....string should be taut), focus (with both eyes open)on the third bead from your nose. Hold this focus until the beads form an "X" *. Once you can see the "X", shift your focus to the closest bead to your nose (first red). When the first bead comes into focus, shift back to the second red bead, and allow the "X" to form again. Continue this sequence and attempt to reduce the time it takes to form the "X".

*Allow me to clarify what I mean by an "X": there should appear to be two of the first red bead…two of the second bead within the first dual-bead image….and two of the fourth bead. The third bead, or focal-point, is the center of the "X".

Things to ponder before attempting this exercise: We possess a visual field of view that totals approximately 155 degrees (windage). Out of this 155 degree sweep there exists a 120 degree overlap. Objects that fall within this overlap are seen by both eyes. Because the two eyes are not located in the same place on our head, what each eye sees in the aforementioned overlap, is slightly different (parallax). This is illustrated by the formation of the "X" in this drill.

Pat Harrison:

I tried the exercise. Interesting! Since there wasn't much distance between the third (red) bead and the last (white) bead I found that while I had an easily perceptible half of the X up close I couldn't get much of the effect past the red bead. If that made any sense. Also since I was using a white wall as a background the last white bead tended to fade out against it which made the problem worse. Adding another red bead past the white bead (so now I've got FIVE beads - red, white, red, white, red) seemed to help a lot. With a longer distance between the middle red bead and the last bead in the string, the "bottom" half of the X is now much more apparent, and the red bead stands out against the white background much better, as well.

I found I can form the X almost instantly. What takes some time is shortening my focus back to the first bead afterwards, though even that speeds up immensely with just a bit of practice. This is a hell of an eye workout. I can actually feel the muscles in my eyes - mostly my left/master eye - moving as I switch my focus. The muscles seem to contract as I shorten my focus, and relax as I move it outwards. Once I had the "form an X, then move your focus back to the first bead, them back" thing fairly well down, I found it a lot of fun to try shifting my focus to every bead in line, fast, then on to the next one, from end to end of the string, back and forth, all down the line, and see how fast I can form the X.

I understand the ability to make swift focal changes is something people generally lose as they get older. It seems to me that exercises like this could not only develop this ability to a higher level, but stave off its eventual loss for quite a while. How often, and for how long per session, would you recommend doing this exercise to get the maximum benefit out of it?

TravisT:

I just added the last red bead….you improved the device. Also, thank you for sharing your alternative method…excellent!

In regards to frequency and duration; I’ve found good results with as little as a one minute, twice a day (LOL…I sound like an infomercial!). I like to intertwine my dry-fire practice with my eye exercises. You may have noticed that it’s difficult to sustain the activity, without suffering some minor eye-strain. It’s at this point, that I’ll switch back to target and sight acquisitions with my gun. What’s cool is how much quicker you can retract your focal point to the front-sight, then back to the target, after the muscles in your eyes have been thoroughly warmed up. In a match, that’s measured on the clock!

One other good focus technique that I have used is looking at the "Magic Eye" pictures.  Those pictures cause you to focus at a number of depths.  As well as when you finally see the picture you are forcing your eye to focus on a point in space.  I bought one of the Magic Eye books and have been using it with some success.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing this exercise for awhile and noticed a couple of things.  I can actually form the X on the string and follow it from the far bead to the close bead even when shifting my focus as quickly as possible.  Since I didn't try this when I first started I don't know if this is an improvement or not.

It's also a lot harder to form the X when the string is quivering.  I didn't have any beads so I used some 4-40 nuts and colored them with marking pens.  I think their extra weight adds/prolongs the string movement.  I sure hope it's the extra weight and not my shaky hands!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...