Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visual exercise

TravisT

I pasted Bill's version of Travis's original post in here, just to make this thread less confusing to newcomers...

be

Objective: Increasing the speed of your focal shift, strengthening of the stereopsis and fusion faculties, and improving your ability to shoot irons with both eyes open (binocular vision).

Materials needed: A piece of string approximately 6 feet in length. 4 beads (or something similar), two white and two red.

Construction: Attach one end of the string to a solid object (I use a wall, but make certain it’s a plain background), at a height level with your nose. Thread the 4 beads onto the string, starting with a white bead first. Alternate the colors (white, red, white, red) and place them 12 inches apart. The gap between the wall and the first bead (should be a white bead) is 12 inches.

Execution: While holding the loose end of the string to the tip of your nose (there should be 12 inches between the first red bead and your nose....string should be taut), focus (with both eyes open)on the third bead from your nose. Hold this focus until the beads form an "X" *. Once you can see the "X", shift your focus to the closest bead to your nose (first red). When the first bead comes into focus, shift back to the second red bead, and allow the "X" to form again. Continue this sequence and attempt to reduce the time it takes to form the "X".

*Allow me to clarify what I mean by an "X": there should appear to be two of the first red bead…two of the second bead within the first dual-bead image….and two of the fourth bead. The third bead, or focal-point, is the center of the "X".

Things to ponder before attempting this exercise: We possess a visual field of view that totals approximately 155 degrees (windage). Out of this 155 degree sweep there exists a 120 degree overlap. Objects that fall within this overlap are seen by both eyes. Because the two eyes are not located in the same place on our head, what each eye sees in the aforementioned overlap, is slightly different (parallax). This is illustrated by the formation of the "X" in this drill.

(Edited by TravisT at 6:38 pm on June 10, 2002)

When I try to dry-fire or shoot iron sight both eyes open I see two of each target and sometimes two front sights. I can kind of focus on one front sight when I see two (I know it's the dominant eye seeing the "better" of the two sights), but the double targets just kill me; they slow me down horribly.

Is binocular iron sight shooting something that can be learned, or am I hopeless? (I am severely myopic, corrected with contact lenses.)

P.S. Before anybody tells me to shoot a dot, Open guns suck! ;)

I guess I've just never understood the problem a lot of people have with "seeing double."  And I don't say that to put down the people who do, it seems to be a very common problem.  The short answer to your question would be, "Yes, it can be learned," at least I did.  Imagine that your mental energy is a river, then just pour that power river through your dominant eye.  You can actually feel the flow of power from your brain through the eye.  Just let the non-dominant eye go away.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that my particular eyesight might make that easier for me.  I'm cross-dominant, right-hand/left-eye, and my right eye is really weak, so letting it blur out isn't exactly a great challenge for me!

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 5:50 pm on May 4, 2001)

Killer post TT, thanks - I love conceiving permutatons.

I have to say (and those who know me know I am not a negative person), I'm NOT SURE if some people can ever learn to shoot a pistol with both eyes open. Although I have never tried the training exercise TT recommended (and I wish I would have heard that one abut 20 years ago), I have never been able to shoot a pistol, in ALL situations, with both eyes open. I can, however, shoot a shotgun, under all situations, with both eyes open. This IS the result of training to accomplish this task. With a shotgun, it is paramount to look at the target AT ALL TIMES. Because of this, it is easier to override your body's natural inclinations. With an iron sighted pistol your focus is always moving (from targets to the sights), so it is more difficult for a person with a strong eye dominance to not have double vision on closely place targets, like a plate rack. The problem is that eventually you have to look at the gun, unlike a shotgun, so it is then that double vision rears its ugly head.

And there is one more consideration. Again, I'm just not sure of the neccesity of shooting A PISTOL with both eyes open. A reliable source once told me that someone did a study on pilots landing fighter planes on aircraft carriers and they found that many of them suinted or shut one eye while actually landing the plane! This is incredible because it would SEEM that the requirements of landing a plane on a ship would absolutely require the use of bonocular vision. Go figure. I have noticed that I don't always like the way my sights appear when shooting with both eyes open; they appear more "transparent."

I had an in-depth discussion with "The Burner" on this very subject. He told me that he is VERY sensitive to ALL the conditions which affect his ability to see his front site VERY CLEARLY. He said that, often, he will adust his non-shooting eye while actually presenting the gun or shooting a stage!, just to obtain a crisper view of the front site. Of course, this will vary with the perceived need to see the front site clearly on each particular target.

I have found that ON THE PRACTICE RANGE, when Rob and I set up a course of fire which totally stresses target acquisition - I can acquire and shoot targets as fast as the GREAT ONE himself. (I am using the "taped eye technique" and he shoots with both eyes open.) Again, go figure. I'm not sure, or I quess I'm not convinced that, with a pistol, it matters.

Probably, an important thing to consider is whether you feel you are handicapped by only shooting with one eye. If you do, then you are.

Last, if I were training to compete (read 20 years ago), I would heartily undertake TT's training tip.

Brian

I'm one of those who started with iron sights, so I don't miss the weak eye input. (I do shoot a C-Mored Open gun a few times each month; I'll try the occluded eye tape trick with it.) Dry firing in my garage, I can sort out the double vision thing and use both eyes, but on the range, it's hopeless. But if it can be learned by training, I'm willing to give it another try.

Speaking of shotguns, I can't shoot trap two eyes open, even though I'm righty/righteye. To dust a clay, I have to acquire and track with two eyes, then close my left eye to take the shot.

Here's another thing: I've always had trouble (misses) with iron sights on swingers. (But I shoot As with an Open gun.) Does the two-eye method help a lot with swingers, or are they strictly a target focus vs. sight focus thing?

Travis,

I tried the exercise. Interesting! Since there wasn't much distance between the third (red) bead and the last (white) bead I found that while I had an easily perceptible half of the X up close I couldn't get much of the effect past the red bead. If that made any sense. Also since I was using a white wall as a background the last white bead tended to fade out against it which made the problem worse. Adding another red bead past the white bead (so now I've got FIVE beads - red, white, red, white, red) seemed to help a lot. With a longer distance between the middle red bead and the last bead in the string, the "bottom" half of the X is now much more apparent, and the red bead stands out against the white background much better, as well.

I found I can form the X almost instantly. What takes some time is shortening my focus back to the first bead afterwards, though even that speeds up immensely with just a bit of practice. This is a hell of an eye workout. I can actually feel the muscles in my eyes - mostly my left/master eye - moving as I switch my focus. The muscles seem to contract as I shorten my focus, and relax as I move it outwards. Once I had the "form an X, then move your focus back to the first bead, them back" thing fairly well down, I found it a lot of fun to try shifting my focus to every bead in line, fast, then on to the next one, from end to end of the string, back and forth, all down the line, and see how fast I can form the X.

I understand the ability to make swift focal changes is something people generally lose as they get older. It seems to me that exercises like this could not only develop this ability to a higher level, but stave off its eventual loss for quite a while. How often, and for how long per session, would you recommend doing this exercise to get the maximum benefit out of it?

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 7:38 pm on May 7, 2001)

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 7:40 pm on May 7, 2001)

Brian , I always , shoot monocular vision , turning my head  near for my right shoulder  , but my arms are never tensioned , to absorb shoot impact. I think ,I use 50% isosceles , but , my first shoot its very fast and for me it is very certain , strong , giving me proud of it , but , after this , at stage resolution I think isosceles position will be better , what do you think about it  ?

ps. I agree with Erik , Open gun is the state of art of gunsmith , Limited is the state of art of human capability

of speed , power and precision , with just our body to win !!!

Limited is no different than Open as far as gunsmith versus shooter ability. If anything gunsmithing is more important with limited guns, to tune it to optimal performance. Just check the site for the amount of posts regarding limited parts and set up versus the amount of posts for open.

Pat

• 3 months later...

Hey guys (and gals), I just wanted to let you know that I've done TT's bead exercise (listed at the beginning of this thread) for the past 6 mornings for a scant 2-4 minutes per morning and have noticed a huge difference in my eye's ability to quickly shift focus.  I've incorporated it into my daily regime and can't imagine how quick my eyes will be after a month or two of this exercise.  Great exercise for limited shooters.

Bill

Bill,

Good post. I was just going over the exercise and debating whether to try it or not. I currently shoot with only one eye open, but I only slightly close or squint the one eye. I've been doing pretty so far (Master Limited with a 100% and 3 + 91% classifiers) but I've always wondered if I could improve that much more by shooting with both eyes open.

I'll give the exercise a try. Brian and Travis, what do you guys think? You think it make that much of an improvement. Travis, do you still do the exercise on a daily basis?

I remember an interview with Rob Leatham in the first issue of Gungames where they talked about the difference in shooting irons vs optics. I also remember that Robbie was winning everything is site before optics were introduced, then it kind of evened the playing field. I remember the writer saying something to the effect that Robbie shot irons SO SUPERIOR to almost everyone else and that was one of the big reasons he overwhelmed everyone and that the optics kind of leveled his advantage. Robbie talked about making quick focal changes and how important it is in shooting irons with both eyes open. Really makes me think now.

I am a fledgling shooter.

Today me and my kids set up the bead thing.

My kids could do this very fast and It gave me quite an eye workout...WOW, this is cool....

My kids also showed me the books I bought them years ago (I forgot about) the Magic Eye series...

You look at the 3D illusions where you look at a close picture using long distance focus...

Good Stuff...we had alot of fun with these books..

(N.E. Thing Enterprises IBSN:0-8362-7009-6).

• 2 months later...

Travis,

Neat exercise. Something I realized that this drill demonstrates the B.A.C (Binden Aiming Concept). I exclusively shoot my AR-15 using this form. It really is wild how once you acquire a target the brain automaticaly switches eyes. Even wilder is that it takes long ehought that it feels like you are turning the power up on a scope.

Anywho, Thanks for an awesome drill to tune up my rifle shooting skills.

Chris

I set up the 5 bead exercise and was surprised in the difference in transition for me.  I could focus from the middle bead to the closest bead very quickly, but the transition of focus from the closet bead back to the middle bead was noticeably slower.  This is a great exercise to cut that transition time down I'm sure.  I even detected a tunnelling effect as my vision transitioned to a focus back to the middle bead.  That really screwed my head up, even got a vertigo type feeling once.  Don't know if it was because the closest bead was only 12 inches from my nose or what.  I'm going to frequent this exercise and see if I continue to get the same feeling.

A near to far versus far to near shooting drill is now certainly something I need to do based on my new enlightenment (thanks to you, TravisT) of how my vision/focus works.  I've always thought it was better to begin shooting on closer targets thinking the first shot could be gotten off so much quicker on closer as opposed to farther targets.  This first shot philosophy might still hold true for targets of 7 yards or closer as compared to 15 or 20 yard targets.  Anyway, thanks for a great drill that I have learned a lot from already.  I still get that funny feeling in my head after a bit.  I think it's just because I'm not used to giving my eyes the workout this drill gives them.