Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone played with a 238 ?

Joe4d

Topic says it all, read a right up on this pocket size 1911 based 380 in a Blast and Stab monthly I picked up at airport any one played with one?

If you like small pocket pistols in the 1911 style, you'll like it. Too small for me though.

Handles decent enough, shoots well, even with the small sights. Recoil isn't bad at all.

They are in short supply. I called SIG about two months ago about them. Salesman told me they were backorderd 30,000 units. Mags are in short supply, and expensive (and they only come with one). I'll say handle one before you buy.

• 1 year later...

Great sites for a tiny gun, good trigger, and it's a 1911. What's not to like. Btw, old colt mustang mags work just fine since the 238 is basically a clone with a new slide profile. It's a perfect gun to tote around when my fullsize 1911 becomes cumbersome (ie. excersizing)

Ryan

Funny to see this thread.

I just got back from my local P&G and handled a 238.

My buddy at the shop offered to trade me my mustang straight across for the new 238 in the shop.

Good to hear the same mags work.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I had one for a while. Very accurate little pistol, easy to shoot with little recoil even with Buffalo Bore carry ammo.

If you change the recoil spring out about every 300 rounds you should be fine, they are it's weak link. I don't belive that .380 is enough for self defense.

I've got a P238 for my BUG and/or when carrying a larger gun isn't practical or whatever. IMHO it's a pretty respectable BUG. The SAO trigger beats most of the ultra-long DAO triggers on most of the competitors; it has real sights - night sights on my 'Rosewood', points very well and and Buffalo Bore JHP +P packs a decent wallop.

It's certainly not up to the 1-shot stop standards of the larger calibers, but 6 shots with a 380ACP in my pocket beats the big bore at home, in the glove box, etc.

The wife thinks the recoil is still too snappy on any of the pocket size 380's and much prefers her Ruger K-LCR running 38 Special.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to play with this gun alot. It is my favorite pocket auto. shoots very well on paper. has a great trigger pull. easy to install night sights on. and you can pick out diffrent grips. i have found that it likes remington golden sabor 102 gr. hollow points. I say buy one and enjoy it.

• 2 months later...

I have had mine for about 6 months now and I Love it. I have a Sig P229 SAS Gen 2 which I use most of the time, but when I go to places where I really want a more comfortable carry it's the P238. Shoot's wonderfully, great night sights, very reliable. Yes, the mag's do take a while to get but now I have 4 and I use Power ball's. I would highly recommend if you want a highly concealable gun that delvers a good accurate punch.

Funny to see this thread.

I just got back from my local P&G and handled a 238.

My buddy at the shop offered to trade me my mustang straight across for the new 238 in the shop.

Good to hear the same mags work.

Dave

Dave, that is because your mustang is worth a small mint now.

I love my 238. Its ran flawlessly with everything I've fed it. They do run fine on mustang mags also as I seem to be able to find those cheaper than the sig mags.

• 1 month later...

sell a bunch of them at my shop and generally have great acceptance. Only had one traded in. so that tells me that the people like em.

Buy it and enjoy it. they shoot amazingly accurate for a small gun

jcc7x7

I have been lusting after one for a while now. I had the chance to shoot it a range in Richmond Va who had it in their rental fleet. Shoots AWESOME. Recoil is extremely manageable and it is very accurate for the size of gun. Having said that, the first production batches had significant issues; research on the interwebs to find out more. If you are looking to buy one, make sure it is recent production.

I bought one for my wife to carry as she is a 1911 snob and did not want a LCP or Kel-Tec. She loves it. I have shot a few hundred rounds through it as well and its a pretty nice little pistol. Great sights, ok trigger (better than my Kel-Tec) and it feels like it has less recoil than other small pocket .380s. I would love one, but as I am a lefty, I am pretty much SOL as Sig has no plans to offer an ambi-safety.

Allow me to amend the above statement. I was just talking to a guy at SIG (ordering magazines) and asked him if anything had changed as far as a ambi version of the P238. He said that Sig is working on a design and intend to have an ambi version out in Q1 of 2012. Great news for us lefties :cheers: