Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ready to order upper assembly from DPMS

BN91205

Hey Gang,

First and foremost thank you very much for helping out a newbie... quite frankly, I'm lost! So, I am now ready to order all upper parts for a lower I bought 10 years ago and has been collecting dust in my safe. Plan on using it for 3-Gun Tactical Division. I know I can order a complete barrel assembly, but there are some things I want that are not available. Here's my order so far:

*A3 Flattop Upper Receiver (complete): Includes charging handle, ejection cover assembly & forward assist

*Chromium Plated Bolt Carrier & Bolt Assembly

*16" Bull Barrel with Gas Block .223

*Hogue Standard Soft Rubber Free Float Tube

*Bennie Cooley Tactical Comp (to be installed professionally; don't know by who yet, but I sure as heck can't do it)

What am I missing to complete this upper? Small parts? Important parts? I already have the Meopta K-dot scope I plan on using with it as well as a JP mount. Sorry for the dumb questions guys, but we all start somewhere. I'm glad there is a forum like BE to humiliate myself on but at the same time get the help and advice I need.

Thanks again,

Brian

Edited by BN91205

I don't know if the gas tube comes with the barrel but you'll need one of those. You also might want to reconsider the 16" bull barrel. If you are set on a 16", get something with a lighter profile and a mid length gas system.

Thanks for the info everyone, decided to simplify it and just order a complete upper from them. I was told somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months would be the wait time. My plan was to build a rifle mainly for plinking and target practice and possibly as a personal protection weapon. 3-Gun was going to be something I would do every once in a while. So be it, I'll order it and wait my turn.

Thanks again,

Brian

I don't know if the gas tube comes with the barrel but you'll need one of those. You also might want to reconsider the 16" bull barrel. If you are set on a 16", get something with a lighter profile and a mid length gas system.

My first AR is a 16" heavy barrel. It's actually a pretty flat shooting, quick handling rifle. I would choose it over my other upper for matches <150-200 yard or so.

I also have a lightweight 16" middy. Very light and good handling, but bounces around much more than the 16" HBAR. Not great for 3 gunning.

I won a certificate from DPMS at the BRM3G in April. I sent the certificate to them in May w/ an order for a complete A3 upper, 20" HBAR chrome lined barrel and received the upper in July. It's a great shooting rifle and pretty fast turn around considering the parts shortage that was still in effect.

+1 on the lighter profile 16" and mid length gas system. Bull barrels aren't typically threaded on the end for the comp either. If you get a barrel with a threaded end you can install it yourself by simply screwing it on. No proefessional help needed.

Thanks for the info everyone, decided to simplify it and just order a complete upper from them. I was told somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months would be the wait time. My plan was to build a rifle mainly for plinking and target practice and possibly as a personal protection weapon. 3-Gun was going to be something I would do every once in a while. So be it, I'll order it and wait my turn.

Thanks again,

Brian

I have seen several standard uppers from DPMS around in local shops now so they are getting more readily available. You might check around for what you want and get it now.

Upper Assembly ordered. When it gets here I will practice, practice, practice! For now I don't know what's good and what's not so I'm happy with my decision and can add on all the other cool stuff later or upgrade as I see fit. Besides, my rifle shooting skills are horrible and I first have to learn to shoot it :)!

Thanks for the info guys!

Edited by BN91205

Upper Assembly ordered. When it gets here I will practice, practice, practice! For now I don't know what's good and what's not so I'm happy with my decision and can add on all the other cool stuff later or upgrade as I see fit. Besides, my rifle shooting skills are horrible and I first have to learn to shoot it :)!

Hope your wait isn't as bad as for me and the .308 upper I ordered in January. Still waiting :/

Hope your wait isn't as bad as for me and the .308 upper I ordered in January. Still waiting :/

January? That's harsh. I guess I got into this game at the wrong time... oh well, I'm just gonna be patient and look for deals on the important stuff - PRACTICE AMMO! UPDATE 9/18/09: Found it in stock at Midway for a good price, ordered last night and got email confirmation it was shipped out this morning!

Edited by BN91205

January? That's harsh. I guess I got into this game at the wrong time... oh well, I'm just gonna be patient and look for deals on the important stuff - PRACTICE AMMO! UPDATE 9/18/09: Found it in stock at Midway for a good price, ordered last night and got email confirmation it was shipped out this morning!

Well, they did quote me 8-12 month delivery time so I figured it'd be a xmas present (having to order xmas presents in Jan is slightly weird though... )

Well, they did quote me 8-12 month delivery time so I figured it'd be a xmas present (having to order xmas presents in Jan is slightly weird though... )

+1 on the long wait on DPMS. i ordered my 308 barrel from them last year, Oct and they said 3 to 6 months

well, it's 11 months and counting. (SASS barrel) guess, that could be the reason why !!

I don't know about DPMS, but I ordered an upper and some other parts from Rock River Arms in June and got them almost two months to the day in August. They wouldn't even quote a lead time when I ordered so I was very happy with the delivery time. :cheers:

Maybe the rush is about over on guns and parts. Now, if the primer folks can just catch up.

Hurley

Hey Gang,

First and foremost thank you very much for helping out a newbie... quite frankly, I'm lost! So, I am now ready to order all upper parts for a lower I bought 10 years ago and has been collecting dust in my safe. Plan on using it for 3-Gun Tactical Division. I know I can order a complete barrel assembly, but there are some things I want that are not available. Here's my order so far:

*A3 Flattop Upper Receiver (complete): Includes charging handle, ejection cover assembly & forward assist

*Bennie Cooley Tactical Comp (to be installed professionally; don't know by who yet, but I sure as heck can't do it)

What am I missing to complete this upper? Small parts? Important parts? I already have the Meopta K-dot scope I plan on using with it as well as a JP mount. Sorry for the dumb questions guys, but we all start somewhere. I'm glad there is a forum like BE to humiliate myself on but at the same time get the help and advice I need.

Thanks again,

Brian

I would seriously consider an upper from a higher quality company. Such Colt, BCM, LMT. If money is tight try Stag. I have nothing but hate for DPMS and that is because I have to keep their guns running for my guys as the department armorer. DPMS is close to the bottom of the barrel in AR quality.

pat

Hey Gang,

Thanks again,

Brian

I would seriously consider an upper from a higher quality company. Such Colt, BCM, LMT. If money is tight try Stag. I have nothing but hate for DPMS and that is because I have to keep their guns running for my guys as the department armorer. DPMS is close to the bottom of the barrel in AR quality.

pat

Wow, this puts a little spin on things doesn't it. I went with the DPMS as their customer service was top notch IMO. They stayed on the phone with me for over 30 minutes answering my questions (and believe me, they were stupid questions). Not to say that the other companies wouldn't have done the same, but I factored that in as well their contributions to our sport and price and availability (ordered Thursday from Midway, shipped out Friday). Are they the best? I'm not sure there's an answer for that as everyone has their opinion. Are they the worst? I doubt that. But for someone like me who has no experience whatsover with AR's I figured I'd buy it, buy a ton of ammo and learn how to shoot it. Thanks for your opinion though, and if it's as bad as you say it is then someone on this Forum will end up with an upper for one heck of a price I guess. I'm happy with my decision :D .

Regards,

Brian

Hey Gang,

Thanks again,

Brian

pat

Wow, this puts a little spin on things doesn't it. I went with the DPMS as their customer service was top notch IMO. They stayed on the phone with me for over 30 minutes answering my questions (and believe me, they were stupid questions). Not to say that the other companies wouldn't have done the same, but I factored that in as well their contributions to our sport and price and availability (ordered Thursday from Midway, shipped out Friday). Are they the best? I'm not sure there's an answer for that as everyone has their opinion. Are they the worst? I doubt that. But for someone like me who has no experience whatsover with AR's I figured I'd buy it, buy a ton of ammo and learn how to shoot it. Thanks for your opinion though, and if it's as bad as you say it is then someone on this Forum will end up with an upper for one heck of a price I guess. I'm happy with my decision :D .

Regards,

Brian

I know DPMS contributes to the sport and thats great. But they still make sub par rifles. That is not internet hearsay that is reality. I would rather they not donate to the sport and use that money to make better rifles.

Pat

Hey Gang,

Thanks again,

Brian

pat

Is Colt the Company that formerly sold the general gun buying public out to win U.S Government contracts for their guns at the behest of the [gun banners]? Maybe that's Internet and GM folklore.....so I ask how can you support a company like that? Good product or not....get real!

Edited by kellyn
Edited for language.

Hey Gang,

Thanks again,

Brian

pat

One more thing.....if we are just talking about an upper receiver..... I tried to order a Wilson 16" Stainless Barrel from Rock River Arms. Could not give a time.....gave up. Point is, you can buy upper component parts that will be "better" quality than your good as gold Colts. Come on.....you speak as though these manufacturer's are doing something special. As readily available as these parts are (except the barrels) at the time....buying an upper from them does not guarantee any better quality. It's the components (or lack thereof) that make the difference.

Steve

Hey Gang,

Thanks again,

Brian

pat

One more thing.....if we are just talking about an upper receiver.....I would venture to argue that your full of BS. I tried to order a Wilson 16" Stainless Barrel from Rock River Arms. Could not give a time.....gave up. Point is, you can buy upper component parts that will be "better" quality than your good as gold Colts. Come on.....you speak as though these manufacturer's are doing something special. As readily available as these parts are (except the barrels) at the time....buying an upper from them does not guaranty any better quality. It's the components (or lack thereof) that make the difference.

Steve

The difference between Colt, LMT, BCM and [expletive deleted] companies like DPMS is quality control. Been an armorer working on AR's for about 7 of my 10 years as a cop now. Do a search on DPMS on this site http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php Its about the best source of information on the web about AR15's.

Read this you might learn something.

071120-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Pat

Edited by kellyn
Language and decorum

Hey Gang,

Thanks again,

Brian

pat

Is Colt the Company that formerly sold the general gun buying public out to win U.S Government contracts for their guns at the behest of the gun banning nazis? Maybe that's Internet and GM folklore.....so I ask how can you support a company like that? Good product or not....get real!

When my neck is on the line I don't care about politics, I care about my gun working when I need it. I am a cop first and a USPSA player second. As for Colt they never sold out any more than Ruger or Smith and Wesson. Besides if you don't like Colt there are other of fine choices such as BCM, LMT, Noveske, Larue. You don't have to settle for tier 2.

This thread seems to be getting turned a little sideways.

BN91205 - DPMS makes good stuff. Wether it is to be used for play or for real world. They support the sport and are a great bunch of people. I would go with a little lighter barrel profile and have the end threaded for your choice of muzzle brake.

But what do I know, 30 yrs in Law Enforcement and the department armorer and firearms instructor for 27 of those years. Maybe A-popo's department got a bad batch, or someone is messing with the weapons who shouldn't be.