Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Decimate"

G-ManBart

For some reason I've been reading and hearing people on TV use the word "decimate" a lot lately and it's painfully obvious none of them know what the heck it means!

Case in point was a show I was watching tonight. They were talking about an animal population that is threatened. They said "it has been decimated, with nearly 70% fewer numbers than X years ago". That's a really, stupid sentance. Why?

The practice of decimation was developed by the Roman army. When an army unit did not fight hard enough, they would decimate the unit to encourage the others to fight harder. That meant lining up the unit and killing every tenth solider....decimus is the Latin for tenth. So while decimation is very unpleasant for those involved, and it's a significant number, it's certainly not a 70% casualty rate. I almost e-mailed a popular fiction author because he used the word over and over and it was wrong every single time!

It's become a word I hate to hear :ph34r:

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Ade...lient=firefox-a

The above link (if it doesn't work google define:decimate) lists several definitions for the word, including "To severely reduce; to destroy almost completely" and "The killing or destruction of a large portion of a population."

I guess you are all correct but I feel your pain.

decimate |ˈdesəˌmāt|

verb [ trans. ] (often be decimated)

1 kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of : the project would decimate the fragile wetland wilderness | the American chestnut, a species decimated by blight.

• drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something) : plant viruses that can decimate yields.

2 historical kill one in every ten of (a group of soldiers or others) as a punishment for the whole group.

Definition #2 is the one the Bart was using, but #1 would work in the usage in the TV show in question.

Often times, and I hate this as we have this discussion at work all the time, common usage now allows a word to become accepted even though historically is it not correct.

Often times, and I hate this as we have this discussion at work all the time, common usage now allows a word to become accepted even though historically is it not correct.

To quote Wingmen10, "Tru dat".

Edited by Jadeslade

I think words are cool, I had a Latin teacher that got me started thinking about word origins original meanings and how they are today. Never thought of Decimate but the 10 is right there.

And so is "mate" :rolleyes:

So your 10th wife is the decimate! lol

-ld