Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Iron Sights

RaymondMillbrae

Hey folks,

I have another question for yall.

I am getting my shotgun ready for TACTICAL 3-gunning, so I recently removed my red dot sight. (It was mounted onto a B-Square mount).

Anyhoo...I have a Remmy 870P, and was curious to know what would be the best iron sight to get installed? (I know there are other options for a 3-gunning shotgun, but this is where I am at the moment).

It has an 18" barrel with a silver ball as the front sight.

Should I keep this front sight and only install a rear sight...or should I get a matching, package set?

I did a search on this topic, but not too much popped-up.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

It sounds like you have the standard Remington 18" cylinder bore barrel. It may be less expensive to find a shorter ribbed barrel for it, then add a 10-22 style rear sight. Or find an 18" deer barrel, non rifled, which will have rifle sights on it.

The standard silver bead is too low to work with a rifle style rear sight.

Something like this one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=498375

I prefer a plain rib and silver bead. I tried a Fiber Optic but found it was drawing too much attention and I was getting away from shooting a shotgun like a shotgun. The ONLY time where I felt I might have preferred actual sights on a shotgun was shooting at a 45 yard slug target, but those are few and far between at our range. A majority of the time the vent rib and bead are faster.

I prefer a plain rib and silver bead. I tried a Fiber Optic but found it was drawing too much attention and I was getting away from shooting a shotgun like a shotgun. The ONLY time where I felt I might have preferred actual sights on a shotgun was shooting at a 45 yard slug target, but those are few and far between at our range. A majority of the time the vent rib and bead are faster.

Many of the sporting clays instructors now remove the front sight from the shotguns of students since they want the student to focus on the target rather than the sight which is exactly backwards from what we were told when we learned pistol. I have a friend who shoots with no front sight and for slugs, he has a thin white strip painted in the center of his rib which he centers....does very well that way to boot.

This is not my preferred method but different strokes for different folks.

I had one of those magnetic HiVis fiber optic front sights on my shotgun about ten years ago, I've since replaced it with the screw on HiVis front sight. It worked great the little round magnets that hold it to the rib are incredible strong I don't think it would ever shoot off. I still carry it in my shotgun bag for emergencies.

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

I have been looking at the XS SIGHT SYSTEM sights. They are attractive and seem to be pretty sturdy.

Anyone have them on their scattergun? How do they work?

I have also been meditating on purchasing a new barrel only for 3-gunning. If so, what do yall recommend? (Rifled, non-rifled, 20" incher, 50" incher, etc...).

Another option on my plate is purchasing iron sights for my Remmy 870P (see pix below), and then purchasing a Remmy 1100 for 3-gunning. (I can find an 1100 up north for around $450.00 to $500.00 shekels, out dee door).

Decisions, decisions.

Right now I still need some iron sights for my Remmy 870P below. Once I have iron sights on it, I will go from there.

What iron sights can yall recommend for my scattergun below? I will be competing with this to begin with, and I will go from there. (It is PRIMARILY my home defense weapon).

PS: The B-SQUARE mount will be removed; I have a Knoxx Spec Ops Recoil Reducing stock installed; and notice the front sight "ball bead".

b202535406.jpg

b202535404.jpg

b202535403.jpg

b202535402.jpg

That recoil reducing stock will put you in Open if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, put your red dot back on a just shoot it in Open as is. Open and pump will be tough though!

Your going to have to change your gun around a lot to make it work better for 3 gun and in the end, it still won't be ideal. I'd just keep the 870 as your home defense gun and get a cheap 1100 to hack on.

barrel length: 22-24" is popular. 22" will line up well with a 8+1 mag extension. But whatever length you get just be sure it's choked. Cylinder bore guns have a hard time on long steel at our club.

That recoil reducing stock will put you in Open if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, put your red dot back on a just shoot it in Open as is. Open and pump will be tough though!

Your going to have to change your gun around a lot to make it work better for 3 gun and in the end, it still won't be ideal. I'd just keep the 870 as your home defense gun and get a cheap 1100 to hack on.

barrel length: 22-24" is popular. 22" will line up well with a 8+1 mag extension. But whatever length you get just be sure it's choked. Cylinder bore guns have a hard time on long steel at our club.

I don't know why a recoil reducing stock would put you in Open, never seen a rule about it... Mag capacity, glass, bipods, and ported barrels put you in Open.

jj

I don't know why a recoil reducing stock would put you in Open, never seen a rule about it... Mag capacity, glass, bipods, and ported barrels put you in Open.

jj

It was discussed before here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69953 not sure a definitive answer was ever given though.

I did find this in the 04 USPSA Shotgun Competition Rules...does it also apply to 3 gun?

US APPENDIX D3

Factory Production Criteria and Modifications

3. External modifications that are specifically NOT allowed:

• Weights or devices to control or reduce recoil, except for recoil pads fitted to the rear face of the stock of the shotgun

The Knoxx "Recoil Reducing" Stock is definitely a device that reduces recoil!!!

Edited by Filishooter

Thanks again, guys.

Filishooter,

I read the thread that you linked us to, and there was a quote by DILLON1050 that said:

QUOTE: Not permitted? Appendix D of the IPSC shotgun rules says "Modifications allowed" and also says "External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed, except for recoil pads fitted to the rear face of the stock of the shotgun." The Knox stock has internal springs, nothing external, so I can't see anywhere in the rules that disallows it. QUOTE

Is he off in space somewhere, or is he somehow correct?

Can I use the Knoxx Spec Ops stock for the Tactical Division?

Is he off in space somewhere, or is he somehow correct?

Can I use the Knoxx Spec Ops stock for the Tactical Division?

I think he is referring to the Compstock which looks like a standard shotgun stock from the outside. But who knows, things have changed since 04. I know the M4 type stock you have on your gun is available as a factory option from Remington. If someone shoots that gun, its not a "modification" but a factory installed option, right?

I would suggest before you buy or do anything, just showup to your local range(s) hosting 3 gun and check with the MD. I'd be willing to be that he would be fine with what you have regardless of what the USPSA rules say. The important thing is to get you shooting 3 gun, equipment details can be worked out later.

Hey folks,

I have another question for yall.

I am getting my shotgun ready for TACTICAL 3-gunning, so I recently removed my red dot sight. (It was mounted onto a B-Square mount).

Anyhoo...I have a Remmy 870P, and was curious to know what would be the best iron sight to get installed? (I know there are other options for a 3-gunning shotgun, but this is where I am at the moment).

It has an 18" barrel with a silver ball as the front sight.

Should I keep this front sight and only install a rear sight...or should I get a matching, package set?

I did a search on this topic, but not too much popped-up.

Thanks.

I like ghost ring sights on a shotgun.

Pat

Your right. My first three gun I used my duty Vang Comped 870. It has ports and a Knoxx stock. I was shooting open with 14 inch 6 round gun. Not fun.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hey folks,

I\'m back again.

I have decided to play with my Remmy 870P for a while.

I really like ghost ring sights for the rear, as I find that I have shot the most accuate with this type of sight.

I am also convinced that a fiber optic front sight will give me the best results.

So in my search, I have come across WILLIAMS FIRE SIGHTS.

And Lo and Behold...I think I have found the best of both worlds - a fiber optic front sight with a rear ghost ring sight.

remingtonghostring.jpg

The price is great, and I am just about to take the plunge.

What do yall think?

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this product?

So far, from what I can see, it\'s a winnning combination.

And by the way, because of my front bead sight, I believe I will be needing the set-up in the below picture.

l_962000084_1.jpg

Since I originally posted this thread, I have removed the B-Square mount, and I have modified the rear sling attachment point to be more comfortable. (GG&G sling attachment).

b205648394.jpg

b205648396.jpg

b205648397.jpg

I am also considering a DMW Easy Loader, but am not sure yet. (I seem to have a good grasp on the existing loader as it is).

Feedback on the sights would be appreciated.

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

if you think using those sights will not interfere with the other 95% of your SGing I say go ahead. Most of us willuse a low profile front and rear sight, some will use high profile sights because thats what came on the gun, but I personally would not recommend intentionally placing high profile sights on the SG.

Are you havng to use a non vent rib barrel??? if so then that is probably the best answer for your situation.

Trapr

I used to run a rifle sight like that. IMHO, for what we do, I think it sucks. For slugs it is great. But for shot it was actually fairly slow (when compared to a ribbed barrel).

Ribbed barrel with an FO front sight and a flip-up 10/22 rear is what I run on my M2. An FO with a triangle is what I have on my ribbed 1100 and 870.

You will need to silver solder those sights to your gun. If you REALLY want to go that route you might want to consider getting an 870 barrel with rifled sights. Or if it was me I'd get a ribbed barrel.

Just out of curiosity, what's up with a ribbed barrel?

I know it provides stiffness, and from what I understand, some better cooling. But what else...sight height?

And RELIGIOUS SHOOTER, you say that it is great for slugs shooting (ghost ring?), but said that for shot is was fairly slow.

Why?

Why is it slow for shot shooting? (Less target is visible)?

Just curious.

a ventrib barrel allows more low profile sights to be used and tends to be at the eye height when the gun is shouldered.

I can't speak for RS on his stmt. but will guess that, Yes, they can obscure too much and cause you to try and use them for normal shot shooting which will cause you to go slower.

Trapr

Just out of curiosity, what's up with a ribbed barrel?

I know it provides stiffness, and from what I understand, some better cooling. But what else...sight height?

And RELIGIOUS SHOOTER, you say that it is great for slugs shooting (ghost ring?), but said that for shot is was fairly slow.

Why?

Why is it slow for shot shooting? (Less target is visible)?

With a set-up up like that the rear sight got in the way. I had to take the time to align them with the front sight.

You should just get two boxes of shells and shoot at a plate rack using both sighting systems.