Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun reload times, open, mag fed, tac auto and pump

bigbrowndog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Carl, I thought I'd get more info from the open and box mag guys, since they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast. :roflol: maybe they're outrunning the timer!!!! :rolleyes:

trapr

Well this isn't as scientific as you'd like but you can watch the play time on my youtube videos for mag reloads

Loading on closed bolt with 9 in mag: (current practice)

Locking open to load 10 in mag (old practice)

here is one I found from the Euro champs in 2006, So as you can see the US is a bit behind in the box mag race. the reloads are pretty quick, and the straight drop mag conversion is not something new!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/00327h#play/al...l/0/WT10A3J9-eg

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

So MitchRapp45 and I put a timer on this Saturday morning, but a bit modified... I was comparing two different load styles, both with my BPS heavy metal gun. First method was tucking the buttstock under my strong arm, gun held horizontal with the load gate down. Shoot one, load four, shoot one yielded an average of 6.2 seconds shot to shot. Pretty consistent, and not a lot of gun shuffling, but the physical act of stuffing shells is slow for me in this position, and more likely to end in a shell shower.

The next method involved me rolling the gun over, held strong hand on the stock grip and loading shells weak hand at waist level. I can load shells pretty quickly and smoothly in this position, but I waste a lot of time getting the gun down and putting it back up to my shoulder. Average time here was about 6 seconds shot to shot, with a best of 5.75. While I don't show too well compared to the other posts in this thread, I am considered fair at reloading a shotgun among my B class peers. Also, loading with the gun in the second position I described is VERY consistent for me. No dropped shells, and no fumbling. I need to do this same drill with 8 shells to compare, since most of the time is wasted dismounting/mounting the gun. I expect it would only be three seconds more for 8.

Anyway, as I said, I am not great but I don’t do to bad for an average shooter either. Thought this info might be of some use to your poll Trapr...

Craig

here is one I found from the Euro champs in 2006, So as you can see the US is a bit behind in the box mag race. the reloads are pretty quick, and the straight drop mag conversion is not something new!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/00327h#play/al...l/0/WT10A3J9-eg

trapr

Hi Trapr

You should look at those 2009 Euro champs videos. They are even faster now. :)

The match itself was very fun to shoot. Just got back home couple days ago.

My Molot Vepr didn't work that fast. Too many malfunctions with official SB Corona match ammo. :(

Taisto

Ps. Raine Peltokoski FIN was 3rd on standard division and Petri Runtti FIN won. :D

Edited by Sako92S

Benjamin, I'm looking for this for use in a side match, "no moving". Mike,.......keep practicing,.................holding onto whiskey bottles we don't want anymore accidents.

What is the world coming to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mikey Darby is shooting a "normal" stocked SG, KurtM is using sun visors in trucks,????????????????????????????????? :surprise:

thanks for the video guys, its good stuff.

trapr

Hi Trapr

After watching the Open shooters at ESC 09 its very clear that the Open guns are now a world apart from the tube technology, large capacity mags like the Max-Rounds drum mag are all working well & stage times for the Open shooters were smokin fast.

This is a video of stage 2 at ESC 09 which was a 14 round course & included one target that moved right to left.

Shooting is Vaclav Vinduska the eventual Open Division winner his time was 14.49

for comparision the best time in Standard was from Roberto Vezzoli at 17.10

the best time in Standard Manual was by Bostjan Pavlic at 20.08

Only Modified Division that required no loading was anywhere close at 16.67

Even the pump shooters loading from their chest rigs 2 & 4 at a time were fast & out loaded us on many of the stages, I can see some new loading styles coming into play in the UK before next season.

Here is my best run from the same day as Jon's, we didn't get it any faster than 3.55

We have also done this drill while moving forward a distance of 5M as Benny suggested & the times were virtually the same, however lateral 5M movement did add something like an extra .5 to .75 to the times, will get some more video next time.

Hope to see you soon mate.

N

Edited by Neil Smith

OK here is another one I dreamt up last night, how many rounds can you get loaded????????????

Start, US popper and pigeon flipper, 2 rounds in gun, shoot popper and load as many as you can AND hit the clay before it hits the ground.

I await your answers??????

obviously the straight in and out box mags "should" be able to get quite a bit, but since they don't seem to reply lets see who can get the most. stay cool under the timer!!!!!!!!

trapr