Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun reload times, open, mag fed, tac auto and pump

bigbrowndog

I'm wanting to know times for comparison to each other????

Start: port arms, loaded with 2 rounds in the gun.

On signal fire one and hit popper, reload and fire one at another popper distance to popper 15ydsish. here is the deal I'm trying ot figure out how many rounds the hand loaders would have to reload to be competitive with the Open and mag fed guys.

So I figure Open reloads a tube, mag fed a mag, and the hand job folks load 3. If I'm right or can get a close time for each then we may have a after match shoot off with all comers shooting together heads up.

so if you're looking for a reload drill to try give it a shot and get me some data.

trapr

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I figure Open reloads a tube, mag fed a mag, and the hand job folks load 3. If I'm right or can get a close time for each then we may have a after match shoot off with all comers shooting together heads up.

:roflol::surprise:

Sorry, but I can't get past the hand job comment... I have never though of it in those terms...

Took a box of shells to the range this evening.

Best time for shot, reload three, shot, was 3.63. First shot .90, 2.73 for the shot to shot.

All the other times I reloaded 4, and most of my times were mid to low 4's. 4.3 average.

I did this from outdoor ready. And I actually aimed the shots.

Cool thanks Mike, I just need to get some open and box mag guys to try it. I was shooting and loading 4 last night, after seeing a youtube video of a UK buddy doing a drill, he managed 3.54secs with a pump which is pretty spiffy, I mananged a few in the same range but more than one little fumble and you were over 4secs.

I plan on working on this myself this weekend, since all the matches have been cancelled due to rain. It will give Kurt and I something to do next week, when he gets back.

trapr

Wow, reading these times almost embarrasses me. I did this (from low ready) a couple of weeks ago shooting one of the MGM auto poppers with my Limited M1Benelli. My fastest time was 5.85 from beep to last shot (like I was saying, I suck with a shotgun :roflol: ) with most times being in the 6.0s. The instances that I dropped shells or threw them,etc. I just stopped and started over. I have just started practicing the weak hand reload.

Hurley

Edited to replace shot to shot with beep to last shot (my posting skills sometimes suck also).

Edited by HRider

I tried it with my M1 and M2. Just under 4 for all runs, fastest in 3.6 secs. I also loaded to 8 in 7.2 secs. A personal best.

Should get in alot of shotgun practice this weekend. I think all area matches are canceled due to rain. Maybe shoot some slugs out to 100 yds.

Mike

the first hand job one is Gort!!!! the second one is interesting given the hand job to hold the mag in on the last mag.

Kurt, I read your post as shot to shot, not from the timer?????????Sorry.

Here is mr Holloway from the UK,

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

a modified port arms;

muzzle up, always in line with your line of

vision. Buttstock at belt level, along your strong side.

Thanks. Like a start position on a stage. I am going to the range this PM and check this out. Been practicing-but at home, need to see if I can repeat with real shells.

Trapr,

Yes, ( Hand job) times are with a stock M2 taking 4 shells at a time from the belt. I have some single fastest time runs but I assume you are after an average run.

I'll ask my Saiga buddies to check their times too. I know RJ is getting comfortable with mag changes on his.

Carl