Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insurance Companies top of my HATE list

Round_Gun_Shooter

I have worked real hard over the last 4 years to take better care of myself. Dropped 40 pounds, officially wearing the pant size comfortably that I wore 20 plus years ago, I have control of my sugar with no meds just diet and exercise, Cholesterol is obscenely normal, Blood pressure holding steady at 132/68 and I feel damn good.

Went for my 6 mos blood work and was informed by my Doc, the Insurance company says my blood pressure is too high. It should be 130/xxx not 132 so he started suggesting meds. Well, he knows how I feel about medication of any form but "The Insurance Company says it is too high and they really want it at 120/xxx" If the god damn Insurance company wants my pressure lower, let the SOBs stop charging me $1300 a month for the coverage which will allow me to work less and not have to be stressed out over paying their bill......

Doc and I decided to try cutting back on my caffeine intake as the first step but he wanted to know what to tell them when they insist he prescribe meds. I told him to give them a two word answer and the second word was OFF...............

They have their hand in my pocket and now are trying to run my life. Sick and tired of them all...

If you are a Doctor or Health Insurance provider and take offense to my attitude, you get the same two word response :roflol:

There, my BP is down a couple maybe this is the way to go :surprise:

From the Mayo-clinic:

Caffeine is a mild stimulant found in coffee, tea, chocolate and many soft drinks. Too much caffeine can cause nervousness and jitters. It may also increase your blood pressure. The amount of caffeine in two to three cups of coffee can raise systolic pressure 3 to 14 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and diastolic pressure 4 to 13 mm Hg in people without high blood pressure.

If it were me, I would skip the caffeine for a couple of weeks then go back for a retest. If it's below their prescribed limit then you've solved the problem and kept the Insurance company off your back at the same time.

From the Mayo-clinic:

Caffeine is a mild stimulant found in coffee, tea, chocolate and many soft drinks. Too much caffeine can cause nervousness and jitters. It may also increase your blood pressure. The amount of caffeine in two to three cups of coffee can raise systolic pressure 3 to 14 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and diastolic pressure 4 to 13 mm Hg in people without high blood pressure.

If it were me, I would skip the caffeine for a couple of weeks then go back for a retest. If it's below their prescribed limit then you've solved the problem and kept the Insurance company off your back at the same time.

So, ya think 6 cups a day is too much?? Doc thought so too <_< That is the plan. re-test first week in December. Another test I can't study for :angry2:

Hmmm,

I hate it that I have to come to the hate forum to get medical advice. I only drink about a quart of black coffee a day, plus a dish of chocolate ice cream at night. Might have to cut it back just a tad, might even get more than 6 hours sleep then!

A couple of years, after some routine bloodwork related to my annual physical and a follow up test, my doctor tells me, "You're what we used to call pre-diabetic, but we don't use that term any more because people didn't seem to take it seriously."

(*Then why the HELL did you just use that term on me???)

Anyway, my insurance company must have been apprised of the results because they called and said they had this star-spangled program where some on-staff RNs would be keeping tabs on my progress and would be ready to jump in and make suggestions or answer any questions I had at any time. Would I care to participate? Sure. Sounds pretty nice...

For ~ 10 months I got a call from one of the RNs every three weeks or so. Each time they would spend 10-15 minutes asking me a bunch of questions about my condition. Most were about my meds. "What are you taking? What dosage? What frequency?"

One day I asked to have a supervisor speak to me. I asked her, if you people (representatives of the insurance company) are helping to pay for this stuff, why don't you already know this? You should. Don't you get records of the transactions with my pharmacy? And even if you don't (and you should), why do you feel it's necessary to ask the same inane questions every 3 weeks when the answers haven't changed in months???

Bless her heart, she didn't have a good answer. She was just a tool being used by the insurance company to promote a feel-good program intended to make me and others think my/our money was being spent wisely. How lame. I opted out as politely as I could.

The waste of my money still chaps my ass.

If the god damn Insurance company wants my pressure lower, let the SOBs stop charging me $1300 a month for the coverage which will allow me to work less and not have to be stressed out over paying their bill......

Preach it, brother: I'll give you an amen :cheers:

Curtis

No doubt insurance companies can be a royal PITA....half of their policies make no sense at all.

Now, not that I would actually encourage cheating...gasp....but you know, if you were to say, take one of the BP pills maybe before your next check, I'm guessing it might lower the number, get the insurance company off your @ss and not hurt anything.

Even doing a little bit of cardio (if you're not already) should put you in the 120s.

Nothing beats a good hate rant though :D

No doubt insurance companies can be a royal PITA....half of their policies make no sense at all.

Now, not that I would actually encourage cheating...gasp....but you know, if you were to say, take one of the BP pills maybe before your next check, I'm guessing it might lower the number, get the insurance company off your @ss and not hurt anything.

Even doing a little bit of cardio (if you're not already) should put you in the 120s.

Nothing beats a good hate rant though :D

35 minutes of Cardio Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday. Weight routine after that. As for as the pills. I just plain don't take those pills. Let them keep feeding them to the lab rats.

I was thinking today, I am really going to HATE it when my Car insurance company calls and tells me they want me changing my oil every 1000 miles instead of 3000miles.. Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!!!

I'd like the illusion that I am in charge of my life, too.

that said:

isn't there a post around about how to reduce stress?

you can study for the BP test BTW.

Force yoursefl to breathe deep a few minutes before the test

and make sure you are sitting during the test.

You are after a calm physical state, like meditating can be.

that should get the numbers down.

miranda

• 2 weeks later...
If you have access to a hot tub you may be able to use it to lower your blood pressure, it did mine. 107/60 for a normal 130/85 and on meds.

Each time I have sat in a hot-tub for more than 5 minutes it feels like my heart is going to stop. My pulse slows down to a point that I think I'm going to pass out. :unsure: