Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy Powder/Primers while you can...

kgunz11

In the future, I'll just keep these tips to myself, since it's common knowledge to everyone.

Pleased don't. Most members of the community appreciate your input. Those that don't can feel free to ignore.

:cheers:

Curtis

+1 :cheers:

A.T.

+1

:cheers:

+200!

Bobby,

Even here we have those that see the Big Bad Wolf around every corner and who view all with a conspiratorial bent. If they really thought about it, they would probably change their own minds.

Who am I kidding, probably not! Thanks Bobby. :cheers:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to start a buying frenzy, and I don't want a Y2K thing going on, but I felt kind of obligated to share the information with my brotherhood.

This is how it shakes down...

This past Spring, we didn't see it too bad, because distributors had thousands of primers on hand. Partly because of the election, partly because of industry demand, and partly because of military contracts, those supplies were depleted in short order. Yes, granted, a lot of folks went out and stocked up because of the current political climate, but that's not what is going to hurt us in the coming Spring. Ya see, when things got schnitty in early 2009, distributors were stocked up, now they're not, and they're not going to be. My prediction on the bad component market is minimum 5 more years. I don't have time here to spill out all the beans, and there are lots of politics involved. Just know the 2 power houses have united, ATK and Hodgdon will be working together to fill military contracts, foreign and domestic. On one hand, I don't want our guys making ammo for turd world countries, on the other hand I hope they thin themselves out with the ammo we are sending them.

For more scary stuff, go here, and start reading down the list.

http://www.defenselink.mil/contracts/

And here some stuff from other places:

MINNEAPOLIS --Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) has received an additional $42 million in small-caliber ammunition orders from the U.S. Army Sustainment Command in Rock Island, Ill.

Work on the contracts will be performed by ATK Small Caliber Systems at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP) in Independence, Mo. The orders are for the production of 5.56mm, 7.62mm and .50-caliber ammunition.

ATK began operating the LCAAP in 2000 and is the largest supplier of small-caliber ammunition to the United States military, producing a mix of 5.56mm, 7.62mm, .50-caliber, and 20mm cartridges, as well as ammunition links. Working in partnership with the Army, ATK has expanded manufacturing capacity at the plant and is also under contract to modernize the facility. The company has delivered an overall business total of 1.4 billion rounds of ammunition in Fiscal Year 2009.

And read this, pay attention to the ATK items. Keep in mind they Own Federal, Speer, Alliant Powders, RCBS, and much more.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/?s=ammunition+shortage

No Sir, the war ended a few years ago. The US, in an effort to promote democracy in Iraq and A'stan, sold the IF M-16's. Of course they had to have ammo for those new rifles and instead of us Fed Ex'ing it all back home, we just let them keep the ammo too. Now we have to build OUR reserves back up. That is part of what is compounding this component shortage. I use to have access to bulk powder in 45 lb kegs from General Dynamics, but not anymore. Hodgdon Powder Company has contracted them to supply their powders and their is an exclusivity contract involved. Now if I want to buy bulk powder from them, I have to purchase it from Hodgdon. Hodgdon and ATK are joining forces to work together presumably on defense contracts, so basically, the biggest kids on the block are now best friends. Is it starting to make sense now?

No Sir, the war ended a few years ago. The US, in an effort to promote democracy in Iraq and A'stan, sold the IF M-16's. Of course they had to have ammo for those new rifles and instead of us Fed Ex'ing it all back home, we just let them keep the ammo too. Now we have to build OUR reserves back up. That is part of what is compounding this component shortage. I use to have access to bulk powder in 45 lb kegs from General Dynamics, but not anymore. Hodgdon Powder Company has contracted them to supply their powders and their is an exclusivity contract involved. Now if I want to buy bulk powder from them, I have to purchase it from Hodgdon. Hodgdon and ATK are joining forces to work together presumably on defense contracts, so basically, the biggest kids on the block are now best friends. Is it starting to make sense now?

All the Iraqi police and army I saw over there were carrying Wolf Ammo, in Glocks, AK's and M-16/M-4.

Good thing the local shop just got in 10k Wolf and Freedom Gunworks has them (for now) readily flowing. Guess I'll become part of the hoarding crowd.

I just got a batch of Wolf Small Rifle (copper colored) for use in 40S&W and super. Wideners advised the magnum or 223 rifle versions are needed for use in an AR, but I went with the regular rifle for the handguns since I wanted a bit extra cup strength for the super (no need for the extra strength in the 40, but I wanted to standardize on one small primer).

I have been very pleased with the quality, and have not experienced any problems with seating or making them go bang.

It seems that small rifle are availible in places alot more often than small pistol. In a worst case scenario, could SR primers be used in place of SP primers for 9 minor? Just wondering.....

DaG

It seems that small rifle are availible in places alot more often than small pistol. In a worst case scenario, could SR primers be used in place of SP primers for 9 minor? Just wondering.....

DaG

Most of the time, yes, I believe so.

DaG

Most of the time, yes, I believe so.

I used small rifle in minor 9mm, 40, as well as major 9 and 223... one less thing to have to worry about.

I wish I could say he was, but he wasn't. He wasn't able to sell me anything, and that is what started the conversation.

I see that you are getting a LOT of PMs over this......

No Sir, not really. The PM box is full with mag tuning instructions and stuff. I need to go in and clean some of the old stuff out. Email addy is in the sig line.