Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy Powder/Primers while you can...

kgunz11

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get enough to last you for a while. There is going to be another dry spot coming the first of the year so expect shortages with powder and primers.

Maybe you accidenatlly got over stocked on primers and you are trying to cause a panic to sell them? :lol:

Getting overstocked would be a nice problem to have. At the moment, I only have 20,000 Win Large Rifle and 20,000 Wolf Small Rifle. Considering I've gotten 400,000 primers in the last 5 weeks, getting overstocked is not a problem I have, but I wouldn't be complaining if I was. I'd love to have 20,000 of everything we carry in stock 24-7, but that ain't happening.

First of the year huh?.....the Shot Show (January) is traditionally the time when everyone in the industry buys. Sporting goods stores clear out inventories before the end of the year because hunting seasons are over, reduces taxes on existing inventory, and new pricing is announced. Deals are made and contracts signed at the show every year....your contact in the industry should know this. Nothing new here.....

Edited by Rembrandt

First of the year huh?.....the Shot Show (January) is traditionally the time when everyone in the industry buys. Sporting goods stores clear out inventories before the end of the year because hunting seasons are over, reduces taxes on existing inventory, and new pricing is announced. Deals are made and contracts signed at the show every year....your contact in the industry should know this. Nothing new here.....

Are you "in the industry" Sir? We're not talking about guns, we're talking about reloading components. Reloading component orders are programmed in September for the following year. It's a quarterly thing, and 4th quarter of 2009 people will be making purchases for the following year. Some of the larger buyers "program" orders in advance to qualify for special pricing and discounts.

In the future, I'll just keep these tips to myself, since it's common knowledge to everyone.

In the future, I'll just keep these tips to myself, since it's common knowledge to everyone.

Pleased don't. Most members of the community appreciate your input. Those that don't can feel free to ignore.

:cheers:

Curtis

+1 :cheers:

A.T.

Are you "in the industry" Sir? We're not talking about guns, we're talking about reloading components. Reloading component orders are programmed in September for the following year. It's a quarterly thing, and 4th quarter of 2009 people will be making purchases for the following year. Some of the larger buyers "program" orders in advance to qualify for special pricing and discounts.

I do appreciate the info, believe me. I might have enough to last out the current shortage, but not a future one if I don't get some more. I'm just tired of hearing shortage, shortage, shortage. I think we need to start a poll on how many primers you currently have in your possesion, how much you shoot each year, and are you buying more primers even though you have enough to last 5 years, just because you think there might be a future shortage. Come on guys, if you have enough for 2 years, give the rest of us small timers a break. I see post where guys say they have 40,000+ primers in hand, then in the next sentence say "I saw them on the shelf, so I bought another 5,000", or "Or I saw them online.....". I know everyone wants to have enough for what they want to do, but enough is enough......

I've got about 15k and there is no way that will last with how much I shoot. Although I have slowed a lot lately I need at least 50k to get through the year and that would be cutting my shooting in half.

So, are you saying you need 35,000 more for this year? That's better than 10,000 per month :surprise: . If you say you've cut back to half, and you used to shoot 100,000 a year, then all I can say is, you obviously don't work for a living :bow: ! Shooting ain't work, it's fun! :roflol:

My thanks as well Bobby. It used to be that you could safely order more components just before you ran out of the current supply. That certainly is not true anymore. Now I feel like I need to have at least a six months or more supply of powder and primers. Even bullets can be out of stock for two or three months.

kgunz I appreciate the info even though there ain't a whole lot I could do with it right now. I confess that I saw the primer issue coming and bought 25,000. This year (my first USPSA year) I have loaded between 3,000 and 4,000 so it is time to reorder! :devil: I couldn't resist. I am good on primers for now. But I sure would like just one teeny tiny bottle of solo 1000 to try my new moly bullets with. nudge nudge. Anyone around cincy got some? Bring it to Circleville tomorrow and you will be rewarded handsomely.