Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 round ar-15 mags suggestions?

FN fan

I have been using some 30 round mags I like a lot, with the anti-jamming insert (dont know technical name but it makes sure that the bullets dont go in and tip side to side) and have the spring that doesnt conform, when left with some rounds in them and was just looking for a 45 round mag that does the same and functions well, any suggestions?

C products 40s (the 3 I have) hold 43 or 44 and run in my gun. They come with the magpul style follower and run fully loaded. The best part is that they are $30 at 44mag.com.

Both the cproducts and nordic extensions are excellent choices.

My preference is two pmags with a firebird coupler. Higher center of gravity, you can go prone (which is really ugly with a 45 rd anything) and the mags provide a platform which is almost as steady as a bipod.

Charles,

The one drawback to evenly coupled mags is that some matches have disallowed monopoding off of two mags in any division but open (RM3G).

I agree on two 30 rounders for the higher CG, I personally run a Redi Mag. I only run the long mags for hoser stages.

You would have to be a pretty big guy to use a 40 round mag as a monopod and then your dress...er, kilt might show too much of your personal business. Seriously Craig, the C products mags have run perfectly for me and are a super value. They are an inch or so longer than my other 40 round mags.

Charles,

The one drawback to evenly coupled mags is that some matches have disallowed monopoding off of two mags in any division but open (RM3G).

I was not aware of that. That a match would do that is rather special but I do not desire to drift the thread.

Sudden Death here on the Forum makes some awesome 45 rd mags. I have two coupled together and have never had a problem with them. I also use them for prone as the 30 rd mags are too low for me.

I have also had good experience with the 52 rd Tripp and the extended P-mag conversion by Nordic.

I use the CMMG extended mag. Comes with their stainless steel anti tilt follower, and has a steel body. Like the cprod., finish rubs off rather easily. Works great for me, and $29. Is the cprod. aluminum or steel? Magpul follower or something else?

I use the CMMG extended mag. Comes with their stainless steel anti tilt follower, and has a steel body. Like the cprod., finish rubs off rather easily. Works great for me, and $29. Is the cprod. aluminum or steel? Magpul follower or something else?

CMMG is a great mag. The C Product is aluminum with what I believe is a Magpul follower.

I ran some of the early DPMS 40 rounders and had sporadic performance even after changing followers springs and polishing the feedlips.

Then Tripp came out with the 42 and 52 rounders bought some of them. They needed a little deburring of the feed lips. After that they ran great but were heavy as hell.

Moved on to the first gen Nordic extensions for Pmags and have had rock solid performance from them since day one. Haven't seen a reason to look for anything else (CMMG, C Products etc., New Nordic Extensions etc.).

I have a dozen or so C Products 30 rdrs and 10 of there 9mm ar mags that all perform flawlessly so I can imagine there other mags are GTG as well.

I am also with Brian in that 30 rdrs are to pretty close to being too short to monopod off of in some situations and I am big enough to use the longer mags if need be.

CMMG is a great mag. The C Product is aluminum with what I believe is a Magpul follower.

Incorrect - the C-Products 43 round mags I have are stainless steel. The plastic follower looks like it is a copy of the MagPul, and has worked just fine for me.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

A 45 rd mag is a tool, a specific tool, and is good to have in your range bag. Not necessary for every stage, but damn spiffy when you need it. That being said I use one of SuddenDeath's 45 rd mags and it has been 101% from day one. I highly reccomend his work, and he's a pretty good dude to boot. :cheers:

More often than not when it is a high round count stage or the disaster factor is above average I use two 30 round Pmags with a Firebird coupler for the reasons already mentioned. AFAIK the RM3G is the only match to prohibit using evenly cinched (bottom) mags for monopodding. No biggie, I modded a pair of Arredondo clamps and offset another pair of Pmags. Game on!

... the C-Products 43 round mags I have are stainless steel. The plastic follower looks like it is a copy of the MagPul, and has worked just fine for me.

These seem to be a great deal. They're very well built.. a little heavy because of the steel.. but nice.

It makes the DPMS 45 seem flimsy. But both work great.

The 45s definelty have thier place, you need to test them like everything else. I have a 42 round no-name mag, that works great, until you try to monopod off it. But for 30-36 round stages.. they're worth having... (considering I'll blow the reload, changing 30s).

I've never had a problem with my DPMS 45 rounder or my Tripp 52 rounder but for the price, you can't beat CProducts 44 rounder. I just ordered a few and tested them and they seem to work but I haven't put them through the true test, a match. It seems like components have a life of their own and wait to hear a buzzard before they show their true colors.

• 2 weeks later...