Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" AR barrel

Viggen

Here is the situation.

A DPMS upper - 16" barrel with a full length gas tube. Accuracy is supurb. I got lucky and when shooting groups it stayed under .5" at 100 yds. At this age and with my eyes I never expected that with anything. Anyway, the reliability just isn't there - bolt doesn't reliable pick up another round. After trouble shooting the various possibilities - magazines, chamber, bolt, gas tube, etc., etc., it seems to come down to an oversized gas port or hole or whatever it is called in the barrel. And that's what the gunsmith tells me. I tend to believe him since he does a lot of good AR work.

So it's new barrel time but I don't want to lay out that much money, really I can't right now, and this barrel shoots real well. I was wondering if maybe one of the adjustable gas blocks like what JP makes could be used to adjust gas flow in place of replacing the barrel and a smaller gas port. Has anyone done this sort of thing when working around this sort of situation?

Edited by Viggen

As nice as it would be to simply strap on an adjustable gas block I am pretty sure the problem lies in the rifle lenght system on a 16" gun. You are not getting too much gas (hole to big) you are not getting enough gas which is caused by either the port being too small or not enough dwell time which is the time between when the bullet passes the port to when the bullet exits the barrel.

One of my setups is the DPMS 16" long gas barrel, JP adjustable gas block, light weight carrier and buffer. I have the gas tuned to reliably work with Wolf 55's (known to be underpowered ammo) but I normally shoot hotter mil spec or reloads in it.

It has been a flawless performer for several years (couple thousand rounds probably) with no functioning issues whatsoever. No premature wear on the extractor or anything else. It handles very nicely too.

Ive seen Mickster's 16" run and it is extremely reliable.

Viggen,

What ammo?

What stock and buffer are you running?

What carrier?

I would be surprised if it were the bbl.

All factory DPMS parts - upper and lower. Factory bolt and bolt carrier.

All ammo, any weight, any brand - factory or reloads, results are the same.

There is no way that I know to increase the dwell time and there is no way the gas port is too small. That leaves the choice of metering the gas with an adjustable gas block.

I am aware that a full length system on a 16" system is not the way to go, just what I have in front of me right now. I need a way around the problem without putting out for a new barrel.

Viggen,

What ammo?

What carrier?

There is no way that I know to increase the dwell time and there is no way the gas port is too small. That leaves the choice of metering the gas with an adjustable gas block.

I am aware that a full length system on a 16" system is not the way to go, just what I have in front of me right now. I need a way around the problem without putting out for a new barrel.

Be more specific, Is it an A2 rifle stock or a telescoping carbine stock???

What buffer, stock rifle type or a carbine standard, H, etc.???

What I am getting at is the weight of the carrier/Buffer has much to do with reliability in your case. I bet you are running a pretty heavy carrier/buffer set up. take some weight out with a light weight buffer and possibly the carrier and it will probably be more reliable. If i had specific details of exactly what you got now I could suggest something to try that might be less expensive/eisier than a new bbl.

Metering the gas is not your problem, as an adjustable gas block aint gonna give back something you aint got (enough gas) so you need to help it by reducing the mass the existing gas has to overcome to move the bolt carrier/buffer in a proper manner.

Edited by mpeltier

Viggen,

What ammo?

What carrier?

Be more specific, Is it an A2 rifle stock or a telescoping carbine stock???

What buffer, stock rifle type or a carbine standard, H, etc.???

What I am getting at is the weight of the carrier/Buffer has much to do with reliability in your case. I bet you are running a pretty heavy carrier/buffer set up. take some weight out with a light weight buffer and possibly the carrier and it will probably be more reliable. If i had specific details of exactly what you got now I could suggest something to try that might be less expensive/eisier than a new bbl.

Metering the gas is not your problem, as an adjustable gas block aint gonna give back something you aint got (enough gas) so you need to help it by reducing the mass the existing gas has to overcome to move the bolt carrier/buffer in a proper manner.

Stock A2 Rifle type, buffer is whatever DPMS put in.

Might be time to trade for a decent bolt action.........

The buffer you are using now is over 5 oz. Either put in a JP Buffer or swap the weights in it now for some pieces of aluminum that will bring it down to about 3.0 oz. And put a generous amount of a good slippery grease on the buffer spring. If that by itself does not cure your problem try a light carrier.

Here is the situation.

A DPMS upper - 16" barrel with a full length gas tube. Accuracy is supurb. I got lucky and when shooting groups it stayed under .5" at 100 yds. At this age and with my eyes I never expected that with anything. Anyway, the reliability just isn't there - bolt doesn't reliable pick up another round. After trouble shooting the various possibilities - magazines, chamber, bolt, gas tube, etc., etc., it seems to come down to an oversized gas port or hole or whatever it is called in the barrel. And that's what the gunsmith tells me. I tend to believe him since he does a lot of good AR work.

So it's new barrel time but I don't want to lay out that much money, really I can't right now, and this barrel shoots real well. I was wondering if maybe one of the adjustable gas blocks like what JP makes could be used to adjust gas flow in place of replacing the barrel and a smaller gas port. Has anyone done this sort of thing when working around this sort of situation?

You can have a good machinist gunsmith fix the gas port. A 16" carbine length gas system should have a gas port of .063" and no bigger than .067"

This is from Randall at AR15barrels.com:

Remove the front sight base.

Drill down about 0.15" to 0.175" with a #43 drill bit.

Tap this top 2/3 of the barrel wall thickness 4-40.

Install a 4-40 x 1/8 setscrew firmly into the port until it stops against the shoulder you left at the bottom.

Verify that the setscrew is about 0.025" to 0.050" below flush from the surface of the gas block seat.

Peen the top of the setscrew so it's locked into place.

Drill down through the setscrew with a 1/16" drill bit.

Re-assemble the barrel.

I agree with mpeltier, buy a JP lightened bolt carrier and buffer and that should help the small amount of gas you have cycle better due to less weight of mass its moving. You could also barrow a friends carbine lower to see if just the buffer and spring difference would help.

Here is the situation.

Viggen, click on page two to read what I had to say about 16 inch rifle length barrels and trust me, it is the truth!

I have the exact same barrel and yes, mine is a tact driver too!

I would bet that a carbine buffer spring in your gun would make you a happy camper!

Oh yeah,my gas port is .100.

Another thing, do not put heavy grease on the buffer spring as it will slow the action down.

• 1 month later...

As the world churns....

It turns out that it's not really a gun problem.

It's an operator/ammo putter togetherer problem. At the advice of son I changed powder, obviously, it couldn't be the powder, and so far it's running 100%, and this after I was about to walk out back and use the chopsaw to just be rid of the problem.

I had been running 2015BR - wonderful powder that metered great, gave marvelous accuracy, but the gun didn't like it.

Switched to Ramshot TAC - meters great, great accuracy, gun likes it.\

(Pardon me while I go into a closet and scream)

As the world churns....

It turns out that it's not really a gun problem.

It's an operator/ammo putter togetherer problem. At the advice of son I changed powder, obviously, it couldn't be the powder, and so far it's running 100%, and this after I was about to walk out back and use the chopsaw to just be rid of the problem.

I had been running 2015BR - wonderful powder that metered great, gave marvelous accuracy, but the gun didn't like it.

Switched to Ramshot TAC - meters great, great accuracy, gun likes it.\

(Pardon me while I go into a closet and scream)

That's great....I have a 16" barrel with a rifle length gas tube. I do have a JP lightened carrier and never have those problems with function. However, I don't reload right now. Did you state that your reloading in your first post?