Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight drifts

ChrisMcCracken

I've got a FO front sight on my 1911. It sits in a side-to-side dovetail cut, as is standard practice. After my last time at the range I noticed it was almost completely out of the dovetail to the right. I tapped it back in place and tried it again today. After 50 rds it was drifting to the right again.

Other than aiming further right as a match goes on or learning to point shoot whenever it eventually falls off, how do I fix this problem?

Find where you want it to be (when the gun is hitting to point of aim), mark that spot with something like a pencil (you can see the mark in good light but it won't hurt anything). Then, take the sight out, degrease both the sight and the dovetail, put a drop of blue locktite (that you can remove without heat) and reinstall. See if that works before you try anything else. If needed later you can swage out the edges to make the fit tighter, but that'll be a little ugly.

I hesitate to mention this as it's a little hillbilly. I have a hi-power that was doing that. I used Reynolds aluminum foil as a shim under the front sight and it tightened up quite nicely. Your everyday Reynolds is exactly .0005" thick, I used the heavy duty at .001" thick. Double over for a .002" shim it did the trick. Not a gun I trust my life too or compete with seriously, but it's also never come loose again. YMMV

Kevin

I hesitate to mention this as it's a little hillbilly. I have a hi-power that was doing that. I used Reynolds aluminum foil as a shim under the front sight and it tightened up quite nicely. Your everyday Reynolds is exactly .0005" thick, I used the heavy duty at .001" thick. Double over for a .002" shim it did the trick. Not a gun I trust my life too or compete with seriously, but it's also never come loose again. YMMV

Kevin

That's a good idea.

Dave

Kevin

That sounds similar to some beer can shims I had to use on a rifle scope/mount recently.. :roflol:

Take it out, clean it up, put a PILE of red Loc tite in the dovetail and drift the sight back in to center. Clean up the mess, then drill through the sight and slide, install a roll pin covered with red Lot Tite, grind ends flush and clean up mess. Set aside for 24 hours, assemble and never worry about your front sight again. When it breaks, and it will if you shoot enough, it is a little harder to get out and replace but I won't run a dovetail front sight that isn't pinned. My match isn't going to be ruined because my sight is moving.

An easy fix I have used for loose sights is put the sight upside down in a small vice and hit all four corners of the underside of the site with a punch to dimple up the metal a little. then proceed with a dab of blue locktite and re-install. I have never had one move when this was properly done, and it is an invisible fix. Blue locktite alone can degrade over time and it can start to migrate again.

I don't care what sight you use and what locker compound you use, it will move unless you red loct tite it and pin it. Everything else is half assed. I have tried everything else and this is what work for tens of thousands of rounds. SuperGlue works better than most methods in this thread.

Kevin

That is not a bad idea. I have a .22 rifle that I bought a while back. When I bought it, it had a cheap scope on it and no rear sight. I ordered a new rear sight but, it seems the dovetail was damaged when the original sight was removed.

This might be the perfect hillbilly fix for that little plinker.

I would agree that installing a pin is a good fix, but lacking the tools or skill to perform that task, you can use a sharp punch to dig up a series of small pointy burrs on the bottom of the sight (where they won't be visible), to the point where you have to apply some force to knock the sight back into its proper place, then reinstall with red loctite.

I would agree that installing a pin is a good fix, but lacking the tools or skill to perform that task, you can use a sharp punch to dig up a series of small pointy burrs on the bottom of the sight (where they won't be visible), to the point where you have to apply some force to knock the sight back into its proper place, then reinstall with red loctite.

+1

I've done that on a few guns, all I would add is to put a couple of punches with the dovetail on the slide, give the locktite 2 surfaces to lock into. also if you can find red loctite 272, which is high strength, high temperature, it hold better than plan red loctite 271.

I don't care what sight you use and what locker compound you use, it will move unless you red loct tite it and pin it. Everything else is half assed. I have tried everything else and this is what work for tens of thousands of rounds. SuperGlue works better than most methods in this thread.

What about green Loctite?? That's what I use and it seems to work pretty good so far.

Loctite has so many different products they don't make enough different color plastics for bottles. Back to the topic, I use Loctite 290. It's a wicking grade, color, Green. You apply it to assembled parts, it sucks into the clean joint. Most of the adehesive gets removed when you slide the sight into the dovetail, if you use Red, Blue, etc.