Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from Dillon to EGW (9mm)

ampleworks

After having to toss 30% of my last match's ammo to the practice bucket, I bought an EGW/U 9mm die.

I put it into my 550 and adjusted the same as my Dillon die was. I ran a few rounds and was surprised on how much more difficult it was to size brass. Currently, I'm not using any type of lubrication on my brass.

Is this typical or should I begin using some type of lube?

Thanks

Hello: I found if you run the Dillon sizer all the way down to the plate it will size all the 9mm brass. 40 now is a different story that is where I use the EGW die. I also use polish in my tumbler and don't need the Hornady One Shot for reloading pistol brass. Thanks, Eric

I'll try the the case lube. I've loaded 3 years with the Dillon die without issues but I guess I have just ran into a batch of Glocked brass.

At current prices, a new die was cheaper than new buckets of brass.

Thanks for the advice.

Running the U die dropped my reject rate on 9mm from 4%+ to <1%. Use some lube!

One Shot is probably the most popular. If you don't lube, you will eventually stick

one so hard that it tears the rim off. Been there, not fun. :angry2:

shoot 2-3 squirts of caselube into a plastic bag or bowl, drop the brass into it, shake it around and pour it into the case feeder. this will keep the lube out of the inside of the case. tumble the loaded rounds for 1/2 hour or so to remove the lube. (no, it will not cause detonations)

IMHO anytime you are resizing a case you need to lube it.

jj

I run the brass separate through the undersized die on a single stage press. Allows me to inspect each piece of brass before it goes into the casefeeder.

Yeah, it is an extra step that takes a little bit of time, but you wouldn't believe how easy the strokes are on the 650 once you do this. I use the Oneshot lube on all my 9mm brass, just makes it easier on me the handle puller. :D

I leave the regular sizing/depriming die in the regular spot on the dillon. You know, after several thousand rounds I will inevitably have some spent primers in the spent primer catcher. I like the setup, kinda a double check for the cases that inadvertantly end up in the wrong bin.

Getting case lube inside a pistol case is not an issue. In fact I find with some brass it is prefferable as it eases the case on and off the case expander, rather than having to yank hard on the upstroke of the handle. The amount that goes in and stays in is miniscule, both Hornady and Dillon have done extensive tests on their respective lubes and it will not harm powder or primers if it gets into a case.

I use Dillon or the new Hornady Water based lube. I use a large plastic tub and put no mor ethan 500 9mm or equivalent and lightly sparay in asome lube, shake and spray some more and then shake again. All done.

Getting case lube inside a pistol case is not an issue. In fact I find with some brass it is prefferable as it eases the case on and off the case expander, rather than having to yank hard on the upstroke of the handle. The amount that goes in and stays in is miniscule, both Hornady and Dillon have done extensive tests on their respective lubes and it will not harm powder or primers if it gets into a case.

I use Dillon or the new Hornady Water based lube. I use a large plastic tub and put no mor ethan 500 9mm or equivalent and lightly sparay in asome lube, shake and spray some more and then shake again. All done.

I know the lube causes no ill effects on the powder. I just find it annoying when you try to measure your powder throw and the powder sticks to the lube inside the case.

jj

I throw a couple squirts of the dillon lube and a couple blasts of OneShot in my case feeder when I load it up. I'm also running through the dillon die first in station 1 of the 650 (to size and decap) then through the Udie in station 2. Not sure if the 550 has enough stations to accomodate this. I figure progressively resizing the brass is better. Although I could be work hardening it more...not sure. This method has been working well for me though - in both 9 and 40.

~Mitch

After getting rid of the ring that the EGW/U came with and replaced with a Dillon, it was smooth sailing. Add in Dillon Case Lube and once again 100 primers = 100 rounds!

Reloading is once again fun and no longer a chore. :roflol:

Is it worth getting one of these dies from the start? I'm just getting a 550 and I'm wondering if I should just start reloading with a EGW/U die? Or should I start off with the Dillon die and see if I start having problems? I'm only loading 9mm and I'm using moly bullets.