Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

District 9

Anubis

Excellent Science Fiction movie. If you're not a fan of sci-fi, and I don't mean Star Wars and Star Trek, then maybe this movie isn't for you. There is a chance you'll like it, but I do think fans of science fiction will definitely enjoy it.

My parents walked out an hour into it, feeling grossed out by the disturbing scenes (eating of alien parts), and told me it was a bad movie. I feel, now having seen it, that they missed out on the best part of the movie.

You do have to give it the first half to build up to the point where the main two characters (Wikus and Christopher) begin to act to fulfill their core goals.

I didn't exactly like theme or "lesson," which was sort of leftist-humans bad, corporations bad, contractors with guns REALLY bad, weapons manufacturers bad. I was glad for the redemption of sorts for some of them, won't say who. As a sci-fi movie, it was excellent. The CGI was better than I imagined it could be. The story was shot and done well, and the way it was shot as a documentary made it very interesting. I want to see it again and see what I missed. There were one or two BIG unanswered questions, and it looks like District 10 might be intended to answer them if it's made.

Well, it may have come across as a "human bad" image, but did it not accurately depict the evil mankind is capable of?

I thought South Africa was the perfect setting for the sort of interaction between the humans and the prawns that went on.

Well, it may have come across as a "human bad" image, but did it not accurately depict the evil mankind is capable of?

Yep, it did, from several sources at once. It was the most serious sci-fi movie I think I've seen.

Exactly how we felt about it. I would add also that there were more questions (by us the viewers) about how the heck the aliens got themselves in that predicament. A clearly technologicly superior race, could not be so easily dominated----could they???

Out of gas? :unsure: Guess we'll find out in 3 years...

Great movie! Definitely not your regular summer blockbuster CGI display. This one was smart.

I think they covered that in the first part of the movie. They said something about them being "lower, working class" types who had no initiative, and that they had lost all their leaders (due to illness or whatever).

I loved it. I used my newly developed critical thinking skills (just began a philosophy 101 class at the cc :P ) and filled in the blanks as the movie went along, as much was left unexplained. I think that not knowing really is a great deal of fun, as the resolution and sequence of events kind of implies some sort of closure for most of the unanswered questions. I believe it's something worth upgrading to Blu-Ray over :blink:

Hating the main character added to the final bit of the movie, imo. It definitely is a thinker though, no standing on the sidelines with this movie. I loved it.

P.S. If you like bad guys getting turned into red vapor via "BFG-9000" equivalent guns, then see this.

Great movie but many unanswered questions as well. D10 will probably be more Hollywood, big budget, big names and less entertaining.

I have my own theories on the D9 visitors but the makers of this film were likely looking for more Hollywood money for D10. They left alot of things open for Hollywood to screw it up. Some big name company will buy the rights and we will have a innoculated and much less realistic version of D10 to see in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

This movie sucked so bad, I have never walked out of a theater but I was one scene away from leaving, the only reason I didnt leave is I wasnt sure if the person I was with wanted to leave or not. Later I found out they only stayed because they wernt sure if I wanted to leave or not. This movie was a gross out nasty obscene peice of garbage, I have seen alot of movies with blood and guts and sometimes it contributed to the story sometimes it didnt but in this movie actually made me nauseous , the puking, and garbage eating, and spewing fluids really had nothing to do with the story, There was no reason whatsoever for it. I will admit the second half of the movie looked like they changed directors to someone who actually wanted to show an action flik instead of just gross everyone out. But all and all I really want my money back on this one.

• 3 weeks later...