Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

small rifle primers

sslldd

Can small rifle primers be used in pistol cartridges?

I am new to reloading, but from what I have read, No. Pistol and rifle primers have different cup hardness and are made to operate at different pressure levels. Switching them around randomly can lead to some serious pressure problems.

That is not always the case...I am using SR primers in .38 super for minor loads in IDPA ESP without a problem. They can also be used for major loads in .38 super and probably other open pressure loads. Only used them in .38s myself.

FWIW

Richard

I use small rifle primers in my 38 SuperComp loads for my open gun as well as loads for my 40 S&W limited gun. Nary a problem ever.

CYa,

Pat

Ditto. Used them in my .38 super Open gun, use them in my .40 Limited gun. 0 problems.

Alot of open shooters use them to keep the primer from flowing back into firing pin hole, which would cause sever problems in a match. Yes, they are harder, and they might be a little bigger (as in depth wise) but they will work perfectly.

I only use SRP for 38 Super major and 40 S&W major. I might use a SPP in 40 or 9mm in minor because of a concern with a RP not sealing at minor pressures. Never seen this happen on my or others loads but I guess its possible.

Small pistol and small rilfe primers are essentially identical as far as dimensions. The SR primers will normally be hotter and increase pressures somewhat, but not a huge amount. Cup hardness will vary with brand so that the hardest small pistol might be close to as hard as the softest small rifle....you'll just have to see what happens with them in your gun.

I use SR in .38 Super, Supercomp, and .40 and will try them in 9mm soon. I haven't had any problems so far and it's been more than a couple thousand ;)

Large pistol and large rifle are different sizes (LR are taller) so you can't use LR in place of LP.

Can small rifle primers be used in pistol cartridges?

NO! They are much longer/deeper than large pistol.

I think you missed something. He's asking if small rifle primers can be used in place of small pistol primers. Small rifle and small pistol are the same dimensions.

Large pistol and large rifle are different dimensions (large file being longer), but that's not what he was asking about ;)

I would not use Small Rifle Primers for any revolver round. Shooting a revolver using double action could result in a light primer strike which may not ignite. Most semiautomatics will ignite a small rifle primer. Bshooter

G-man, as usual, is spot on. I would add to NOT try using small pistol primers in a rifle round though. The cup will not take the higher pressures. Bad ju-ju stuff happens.

Ya, SRP's in a competition revolver would kinda suck. Lots of light strikes unless you resprung the gun heavier. Kinda defeats all that work to get the trigger pull weight down.

I use the srp in my svi 40. with no problem, I do not use them in my brazos open as I had quite a few fail to ignite. When I chronoed them in my svi I did find that the srp added about 25 feet more per second. It could be used to bump you up to major pf if you were having difficulty meeting the power factor.

I use Win. small rifle for all my Major 9 and 40 S&W at major pressure.

Small pistol for minor 9 and 40 production loads with "striker" fired guns.

And Federal for 45acp revolver rounds.

Lets say you only load 40 and 223, just use rifle for everything.

Never had a problem with any 1911 based gun lighting off WSR, I even used them quite a bit with a Glock 35.

I would not use Small Rifle Primers for any revolver round. Shooting a revolver using double action could result in a light primer strike which may not ignite. Most semiautomatics will ignite a small rifle primer. Bshooter

8shooter is correct, however I load my USPSA revo. (L frame Modified 38 super 6 shot) with the Wincester Small Rifle. The Action has to be set up heavier to light them off. But when Federals were hard to get I save my Federal Small Pistol for my ICORE gun. That and I had 6 thousand Wincester Small Rifle Primers laying around from the 1980's from the dreaded auto days. later rdd

Dimensionally small rifle and small pistol are exactly the same. Large Rifle are a bit taller than large pistol. Cup hardness and burn rates are a different thing. If you gun will pop the harder rifle primer and loads are built to take into consideration the burn rate they will work fine.

I have switched small rifle for small pistol at times. In a Smith Revolver it worked without a problem. I have one target rifle that only uses large pistol primers. It's been speed locked and will not pop rifle primers.

Rule is start slow and work up carefully.

Boats