Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pike's Peak Video

As incredible as the in car camera is, the balls and skill it takes to do this is simply not done justice until you can see the wider angle shots.

WRC, drifting for people with actual driving skills :P

I surprised that they and Monster did not bust the 10min barrier on the Peak..so much of it is paved now..it really changes the dynamics of the road.

these guys are great if you have ever driven this road..

What is that chirping sound when they go to the under car cam?

I believe it is turbo surge when the engine is decelerating. More technically it's when the compressor side of the turbo "stalls". It can and does damage the turbo over time.

I'd be interested to know what they did to the engine, if anything, to deal with the high altitude. Turbo speed goes up as the ambient pressure goes down, and it's easy to burst a turbo when you go way over the limit.

What is that chirping sound when they go to the under car cam?

I believe it is turbo surge when the engine is decelerating. More technically it's when the compressor side of the turbo "stalls". It can and does damage the turbo over time.

I'd be interested to know what they did to the engine, if anything, to deal with the high altitude. Turbo speed goes up as the ambient pressure goes down, and it's easy to burst a turbo when you go way over the limit.

That sound is the blow off valve. Matt knows, but for others, it is venting the pressure in the intake tract when the drivers closes the throttle. Seems like all the WRC cars (and other high performance turbo race cars) use a type that steps down the pressure in increments, rather than all at once like a street 'race' car. Keeps the lag to a minimum for feathering the throttle while steering with the 'ol *thumb rest [generic]* (drifting for the younger folks). It does seem odd though - Marcus seems like he is letting off or feathering it quite a bit in the lower sections. Possibly tuned for higher altitude and electronic boost control limiting it down low?

Found this pic:

ford_fiesta_pikes_peak_2009_009-0717-950x650.jpg

Definately cool and definately amazing to watch but I can't stand the sound of that purge valve. Maybe I'm just biased... there's a nasty Dart headed 383 stroker under the hood of my baby in the garage that makes me drool every time I fire it up. Now if I could only tune it to put out as much power per cubic inch as that 2 liter.....

It looked to me like it has a sequential gearbox in it, but it also has a clutch pedal. I was under the impression most of the current sequentials in WRC cars don't have a clutch pedal but instead the clutch is actuated electronically when one presses the gear lever. Anybody know what the reality here is?

Hate the sounds of blow off valves but to get 800 hp out of a 2.0 liter(for 15 minutes and 15K feet change) ya gotta be pushing the boost and thats one of the ways to get the power and save the engine. I'll agree it probably loaded with electronics to deal with alt change and keep lag down.

I like the duct taped "gauge" to basically show what gear he is in.

It looked to me like it has a sequential gearbox in it, but it also has a clutch pedal. I was under the impression most of the current sequentials in WRC cars don't have a clutch pedal but instead the clutch is actuated electronically when one presses the gear lever. Anybody know what the reality here is?

That has got me confused too...

It's stock footage from the fast and the furious, lol.

always fun days at the hill climb..

word in the pits was the crew was having trouble adjusting for altitude on the first practice day..they were on the top section of the highway that day.

That sound is the blow off valve. Seems like all the WRC cars (and other high performance turbo race cars) use a type that steps down the pressure in increments, rather than all at once like a street 'race' car.

That makes sense, I've never heard anything like it before except for surge in the engines at work.

That sound is the blow off valve. Seems like all the WRC cars (and other high performance turbo race cars) use a type that steps down the pressure in increments, rather than all at once like a street 'race' car.

That makes sense, I've never heard anything like it before except for surge in the engines at work.

where do you work? I worked in high end engine building for 15 years. Messed with some turbo NHRA import stuff a few years ago.

I really miss this sort of thing. I need to get to the track, to revisit an old flame

That was pretty cool. Any turbo stuff ive messed with used the all at once wastegate mathod, but it was all drag racing stuff, so they didnt have to get back in it after letting off.

Nice, my avatar approves;-)

Hah! I didn't even notice that until now :cheers:

Wow, that is cool, but he lost by over a minute! The winner did it in in 10:15.

Monster Tajima's car has "over 1000HP" - speculation is that number is a few hundred shy of the real output. And we're talking a tube framed carbon fiber twin turbo V6 purpose built hillclimb car versus a massaged 2.0L turbo 4 in a rally car :D I was lucky enough to see Monster do it in 10:01 a few years ago. Absolutely amazing - can't wait til he breaks the 10 minute mark - too bad the paving of the peak takes away some of the soul of the race :(

Also, after talking to a few more rally guys - it seems like the video is pieced together from all of the practice days and the race, which would explain why he is letting off where he shouldn't be in the video...