Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The new 627-4 8-shot .38 Supers are here!

Carmoney

The grips are not true Jerry grips, don't know what that's all about, they're some sort of crappy lamo wood and feel horrendous. There is no non-comp muzzle cap included in the package, and no rubber Hogue grips included either.

But otherwise, the guns look great, and are just like the old production run of 627-4s!

post-4033-1247687518_thumb.jpg

Mike,

You going to be shooting this soon and letting us know what you think of it right? :cheers:

I might have a source for one of these if I feel the need <_<

Edited by JoshF

Mike,tried to put a full moon in it yet??? =) the cyl is far from chamfered on the new run

Just shoot .38 Short Colt in it ... they work PERFECTLY with .357 Moonclips ...

.38 Short Colt might fit in the moon clip but you'd need .32ACP or maybe even .22s to load it quickly. The ejector star has a little bevel to it but the cylinders are not chamfered at all - 100% pure 90 degree edges.

I don't think the Short Colts would do too well in a .38 Super gun...............but I've been wrong before :roflol:

Alan~^~

I am currently shooting .38 Short Colt (Starline Brass) with 135 gr. round nose .357 bullets

and standard 8-shot .357 moonclips in (2) of my 627-4 Supers ...

They drop right into the .38 Super cylinder, eject with ease after firing, and are mighty accurate ...

Edited by AultGM

Mike,

You going to be shooting this soon and letting us know what you think of it right? :cheers:

I might have a source for one of these if I feel the need <_<

No Josh, this is a gun I ordered for one of my customers, so other than function testing it after I do the action work, I don't plan to shoot it. However, I ordered in a couple extra guns, so I might wind up keeping one--who knows! :)

Edited by Carmoney

Mike,tried to put a full moon in it yet??? =) the cyl is far from chamfered on the new run

Heck, I always chamfer the chambers on the 8-shooters as part of my action package, anyway. The .357 627s do have some chamfer from the factory, but I prefer a little more for competition use with moonclips.

I am not sure why S&W chose those specific grips (Bangers only had so much say in the specs)...good news is that's an easy change. S&W is also in the process of phasing out the aluminum Performance Center cases, so it is likely that somewhere in this run the guns will not have the case from Mike's photo. The costs on S&W PC products has jumped a good bit since the original run of 627 38Supers (circa 2003), that's why no extra Hogue grip and no solid extra muzzle cap.

FYI - Tom Kilhoffer at TK Custom is producing a batch of 38 Super moonclips...

The big question is HOW MUCH do it cost????? :unsure:

I'm selling them at cost to my customers who are having me do the action work. With the full Carmonize competition action package, plus SDM fiber-optic front sight and Millett target rear sight, you're talking right around $1,400 shipped.

The street price on the guns is probably going to be around $1,150 to $1,200.

Ok guys tell me about the specifics of the 38 super is the grove diameter of the barrel .355 .356 or did Smith just use the .357 diameter barrels that they already have. The 38 super is .356 in days of old but most of the USPSA open 38 supers are .355 so every one can use the 9mm bullets. What bullets are you going to use?

:rolleyes:

Anyone no for sure what the finish/coating is on the 627-4 cylinders, mine is sure easy to

clean up and seems very hard?

Jim/Pa

Sailors :P

I think it's Black T....

My guess in Melonite. S&W uses this finish often, most notably on M&P slides. Harder then hell's hinges & very durable.

Did the action work on the first one of these yesterday, and I'm pleased to say it tuned up really nice!

(The grips still look like shit.) :)

Why wouldn't it? Nothing but standard N frame inside is it?

"Why wouldn't it? Nothing but standard N frame inside is it?"

"The grips still look like shit"

As Groucho once said, 'I resemble those remarks'. :)

Actually, the gun Mike is referring to is mine. The grips do look like shit which is why they'll be off the gun the second it arrives. Can't believe S&W would hang such crappy looking furniture on a nice gun like this. Mike had been doing his magic on it and at the same time cheerfully putting up with my questions.

With the bbl extension pushing the length beyone 5 1/2" been wondering if it would work with a 627 Blade Tech holster.

Did the action work on the first one of these yesterday, and I'm pleased to say it tuned up really nice!

(The grips still look like shit.) :)

Why wouldn't it? Nothing but standard N frame inside is it?