Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best route for buying a new limited gun

Sarge

I currently shoot production with an M&P but I can feel the urge building to make a move in the next year or two. I have made an observation over the last few months that I would like opinions on.

I have noticed a few problems with guns straight from the factory as opposed to those coming from gunsmiths such as all the big names mentioned here. Seems like many don't run well all the time. Failures to feed or eject etc.. Is this most likely the gun? Or are the shooters/ammo the culprit?

I am talking the high end makers not off brands.

Bottom line question. If money is not an issue should I buy a gun from a smith such as the ones listed here when I make the leap as opposed to an off the shelf factory gun?

My recommendation would be for you to shoot as many as you can. Ask people you shoot with if you can shoot theirs. Find things you like. Then talk to a few smiths and try and find one that is on the same page as you. Try and nail down what you want and have it built. You can purchase a factory gun and I am sure have lots of trouble free use. What the custom gun is going to give you is a gun that is exactly what you want.

My opinion only, and it is worth exactly $.00

Randy

I currently shoot production with an M&P but I can feel the urge building to make a move in the next year or two. I have made an observation over the last few months that I would like opinions on.

I have noticed a few problems with guns straight from the factory as opposed to those coming from gunsmiths such as all the big names mentioned here. Seems like many don't run well all the time. Failures to feed or eject etc.. Is this most likely the gun? Or are the shooters/ammo the culprit?

I am talking the high end makers not off brands.

Bottom line question. If money is not an issue should I buy a gun from a smith such as the ones listed here when I make the leap as opposed to an off the shelf factory gun?

Always a good idea to have it worked on by a custom gunsmith, but don't

neglect the magazines. Once you try to jam 20 rounds into one mag, it

needs a little tweaking too. Lots of problems are the ammo, the gun,

and the magazines. I bought a TruBor (Open div) and kept having jams,

until I realized it was from one particular mag - stopped using that one mag,

and the jams went away.

Jack

There is no question about it, the custom guns built by some of the smiths here on the forum are the only way to go. Even if you buy a factory gun, you'll end up putting the extra money in it eventually.

I would also strongly suggest that you keep an eye on the classified here. There have been a number of excellent limited guns for sale recently, most of which have already been tuned and tested.

+1

I would go with a Triangle 6" (Benny Hill) or a Brazos 5". I would also go right out and buy a custom gun instead of a stock gun. If you buy a stock gun you will just end up wanting a better trigger, different sights, stippled grip, etc...

Brazos Custom SC Series limited. http://www.brazoscustom.com/sc_limited.htm

Or a factory STI with Brazos High Performance Package.

EDIT to add: I currently have a factory STI Eagle with Brazos High Performance Package that I purchased from Brazos in Feb 2008 and it has ran flawless not one problem!

The only things I have done is installed a ITS trigger and stippled the grip all done by myself.

I do recommend tuned mags also from Brazos.

Either way you can't go wrong!

:cheers:

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Definitely try every gun you can get your hands on. You especially want to take note of various configurations and how you like them. Long vs. short dust cover, weight forward, weight to the rear, weight neutral, etc.

I bought a Brazos Pro SC in 2005 and it has run flawlessly since. All I have done to it is change the springs (recoil, mags, firing pin) and clean/lube it. But even the Pro SCs come in various configurations so you will want to get a good idea of what you want before you get on the waiting list.

I submit you will not have a clue what you want until you have shot one a LOT. Then you will know.

Look at what the BD's shoot. Pick one you like the looks of and shoot the finish off of it and it you don't like it, you will know what you don't like about it.

It's a lot easier to make one lighter then heavier. ;)

I'll echo a couple things here and relate my experience, from a low B class and little $$ to play with perspective.

1. Ask other limited shooters at your club if you can try their gun. You'll get to shoot 20 rounds or so from a few guns, most likely. This will not help you decide what to get, but it will accelerate your desire to have something NOW!

2. Buy a used gun here in the classifieds. Something that is similar to what you borrowed, or something that you think you will like.

3. Shoot it for a couple of years and just get familiar with it. Experiment with a couple of loads that work. If you're new to the STI/SVI platform, it will take about that much time to figure out what is working for you and what is not.

4. Pick one of the big name gunsmiths to build you something that you really want.

That's the path I took and it has worked for me. I actually eased into it by going with a G35 for production, then morphing it into a limited gun, then going SV and STI.

I'll go ahead and agree with quite a few of the already mentioned comments above.

I'll agree with 99% of what Splashdown said. You can certainly be competitive in Limited with a Glock and use that to ease into a 2011. Dave Sevigny and Bob Vogel prove that time and time again when they shoot Limited. Many Glocks can hold 20 rounds of .40, and with kicka$$ sights, Tunsten guiderods, and large honking magwells, they can come close to rivaling a 2011 hi-cap, but the trigger is not nearly as nice as a 1911 tigger can be. You really have to try one if you dont know what I mean.

I also agree that you can buy a very, VERY nice hi-cap Limited gun from a big name smith and have it built the way you want it, but don't be too surprised ..... you may still end up wanting to change a few items on the gun in about a year (or even less).

So in that regard, I'll agree with Singlestack in that you NEED to shoot a gun for awhile before you completely realize what exactly, you like or dislike about it.

I've steered a few local shooters into some really great deals on Limited guns here on the forum. One guy got an STI & 4 mags at a good price, and another local guy picked up a chromed SVI with 4 mags, CR Speed holster, belt, and 4 magpouches for less than $2000. :surprise: When they do pop up, the great deals go really fast on here, but sometimes you get lucky. :)

And if you do borrow a gun or two to try, dont just shoot 20 rounds out of it, or you most likely will be a little bit charged or nervous and maybe not be able to tell what you really like or dislike so quickly. Shoot it for a whole stage or two if you can. Just to get a good feel for it. You can shoot mine at the next local match if you want. PM me Kevin.

Edited by Chris Keen

I would agree to shoot whatever you can, I shot several 2011's before I made my mind up to buy one. I bought a STI 5" tactical and am leaving it alone because it is what I carry for duty, I am wanting to save up to have one built. If I am at a match you can give mine a try and see how a stock one shoots, then compare it to Chris Keen's and you could see the difference between a stock and cutomized one.

Factory guns are better than they have ever been, but will still likely perform at their best with better springs, etc. Since I am privy to lots of factory guns being one of STI's top distributors, selling the best parts from everyone else, and selling lots of Bedell Custom pistols, I can tell you that our custom guns offer the best parts selected by Dan, Chuck, and me for their superior performance, construction, or fit and finish. Factory guns have parts that are selected for their cost and ease of use.

Factory guns are better than they have ever been, but will still likely perform at their best with better springs, etc. Since I am privy to lots of factory guns being one of STI's top distributors, selling the best parts from everyone else, and selling lots of Bedell Custom pistols, I can tell you that our custom guns offer the best parts selected by Dan, Chuck, and me for their superior performance, construction, or fit and finish. Factory guns have parts that are selected for their cost and ease of use.

+1

Buy an Edge or Eagle and shoot the bbl out of it. Then you have a platform to build on and you'll know exactly what you want to change about it. I didn't like the weight of the full dust cover on my Edge, so it got chopped off. The slide got lightened too. Now I'm pretty happy with it. It took me several thousand rounds through the gun and shooting my Eagle to realize I liked a gun that was a little lighter in the nose. I don't need that extra weight to manage recoil, but I did like shedding some to make the transitions quicker.