Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me choose a free Glock - poll included

Fullauto_Shooter

Last week I competed in the Fort Hood Combat Marksmanship Competiton and ended up winning a certificate for a free Glock Pistol. I've owned a few Glocks over the years (G17, G34, G35, G21, G19) but candidly prefer the 1911 / 2011 over the Glock platform. The only Glock I currently own is a sweet-shooting G34 with Dawson sights.

The certificate is good only for the following models:

G17

G17RTF2

G19

G26

G22

G22RTF2

G23

G27

G31

G32

G33

I'm pretty sure I don't want a .357 Sig (not currently set to reload that and not interested in spending the $$ to get set up)

So I'm torn between a 9mm and .40. I don't know much about the RTF models - do they offer any appreciable advantages over the standard models?

Also, I get to choose between standard black and OD - never had an OD Glock so that's interesting. All thoughts are welcome.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Depends on what you want to do with it.

For carry, I'd recommend the G26.

Since you already have a Production legal 9mm setup, you may not want the G17 unless you have a desire to create an open Glock. Glock 22's are exceptionally easy to find (police trade ins).

IMHO the rtf is lame, and the OD green is just goofy looking (says the guy with a beat up blue Glock!)

If you prefer a 1911 setup, sell the certificate here if possible and use the loot for another project.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

For carry, I'd recommend the G26.

Since you already have a Production legal 9mm setup, you may not want the G17 unless you have a desire to create an open Glock. Glock 22's are exceptionally easy to find (police trade ins).

IMHO the rtf is lame, and the OD green is just goofy looking (says the guy with a beat up blue Glock!)

If you prefer a 1911 setup, sell the certificate here if possible and use the loot for another project.

That's the thing - not really sure what I want to do with it. I've already got a pretty good carry set-up (Kimber Ultra Tactical) and I agree that the G34 would work just fine for Production should I ever decide to go that route.

Can a G17 handle the pressures / stresses associated with 9mm Major? One of my shooting buddies has a 9mm Open Glock that is pretty sweet, but I think he runs mostly minor loads for non-USPSA matches.

Is the RTF frame the one with the stippling on the grip?

I don't really want to sell it since I won it. But if I did decide to sell the pistol at some point, which model would likely have the highest value? I'm guessing the G17 or G17RTF??

Can a G17 handle the pressures / stresses associated with 9mm Major?

Yes, absolutely. If it's built right in the first place. Meaning send it to SJC in Georgia. :)

Jim

17rtf2. One of the newest models and you all ready have a 9mm. Could make a good backup for production division and will be easy to sell if you want.

Yes, absolutely. If it's built right in the first place. Meaning send it to SJC in Georgia. :)

Jim

+1 get a G17 and have SJC turn it into an Open Gun!

Jim

+1 get a G17 and have SJC turn it into an Open Gun!

The thought of an Open Glock is starting to intrigue me - only problem is that going this route will end up costing at least several hundred more dollars. It's bad when you win a prize and then up with LESS money than when you started. :wacko:

Still open to all suggestions and comments. Thanks to those that have contributed ideas so far.

Well, I've never seen you shoot open...might be something you would want to try...

If it was me, and if I was reloading at the moment (which I'm not right now), I would have to go with the G22 (regular frame). Only because you can shoot every division except open with it...

I said regular frame because I've handled a RTF2 and it didn't feel like it would be worth it. IMHO, if you want a textured grip I'd go with grip tape or a stippled grip.

Last week I competed in the Fort Hood Combat Marksmanship Competiton and ended up winning a certificate for a free Glock Pistol. I've owned a few Glocks over the years (G17, G34, G35, G21, G19) but candidly prefer the 1911 / 2011 over the Glock platform. The only Glock I currently own is a sweet-shooting G34 with Dawson sights.

The certificate is good only for the following models:

G17

G17RTF2

G19

G26

G22

G22RTF2

G23

G27

G31

G32

G33

I'm pretty sure I don't want a .357 Sig (not currently set to reload that and not interested in spending the $$ to get set up)

So I'm torn between a 9mm and .40. I don't know much about the RTF models - do they offer any appreciable advantages over the standard models?

Also, I get to choose between standard black and OD - never had an OD Glock so that's interesting. All thoughts are welcome.

Definitely the G17 RTF. You can put the frame on your G34, or just use it as is. Makes a great IPSC gun, ok for USPSA, but not as good as the G34. In the high heat and humidity, the RTF is truly excellent. Congratulations! By the way, if you put on Sevigny Competition sights, which I highly recommend, it becomes a fantastic steel gun.

That's the thing - not really sure what I want to do with it. I've already got a pretty good carry set-up (Kimber Ultra Tactical) and I agree that the G34 would work just fine for Production should I ever decide to go that route.

Can a G17 handle the pressures / stresses associated with 9mm Major? One of my shooting buddies has a 9mm Open Glock that is pretty sweet, but I think he runs mostly minor loads for non-USPSA matches.

Is the RTF frame the one with the stippling on the grip?

I don't really want to sell it since I won it. But if I did decide to sell the pistol at some point, which model would likely have the highest value? I'm guessing the G17 or G17RTF??

If you generally prefer the 1911/2011 platform I don't see how that's going to change when considering an Open gun. Maybe as something fun to fool with, but if you try it and like it then you might wind up eventually going with a 2011 Open gun.

I'd be pretty torn picking from that list too. I have three G22s, a 23 and 27. For carry purposes I like the 23 the best as it's big enough to shoot well, but not so big I have a hard time concealing it. The 22s take a little more effort for me (not a big guy). I'd probably get a G19 so I could practice with the same size/feel gun as the 23, with a bit less snap (Glocks beat my fingers to death). I normally carry a G27 on an ankle rig as a backup, but I'd have no qualms with the 26 if I was carrying a 19 as primary (good idea to keep the ammo the same so one spare mag works for either). R,

I voted for the G17. I can't give a great reason why to choose it over a G22, G19, or G23 other than it's a great gun for Production division. I think any direction you go you're a winner.

Well, I've never seen you shoot open...might be something you would want to try...

If it was me, and if I was reloading at the moment (which I'm not right now), I would have to go with the G22 (regular frame). Only because you can shoot every division except open with it...

I said regular frame because I've handled a RTF2 and it didn't feel like it would be worth it. IMHO, if you want a textured grip I'd go with grip tape or a stippled grip.

Hey Ross, thanks for the ideas. I haven't seen you around lately - you been shooting much? I've actually been shooting Open for the past 9 months or so almost exclusively - got a heck of a good deal on an Open STI that I coudn't pass up. Still mulling over this Glock decision, but leaning toward either a G17 or G17RTF2. Take care.

Doug

Get the G22 in 40 and throw that baby under the seat of your truck and you're good to go.... :ph34r:

Yep - until the Fort Hood Gate Guards found it during one of their "Random Inspections" at the Gate. Love the Army, but working on post really interferes with my ability to CCW. I'm from the deep south (MS) so I grew up with a rifle and shotgun ALWAYS in my pickup and usually kept a pistol or two in the glovebox or under the seat - you just never knew when you might roll up on something that needed shooting.

Is there any place left where you can still do that?

I voted just the standard Glock 17 since, in my opinion, it's the most generally useful gun Glock makes, for the following reasons:

(1) Cheap 9mm ammo. More affordable than .40, MUCH more affordable than .357 SIG.

(2) Large enough to be considerably easier to shoot fast and well than the G19 or G26, not enough larger to be hard to conceal. (As long as we're talking a belt holster; ankle holster is another matter entirely.) Really, if you look at it, the G17 is not a particularly large gun. It's about the size of a Commander (albeit a bit wider) which most people consider a decently compact handgun.

(3) It gives you the most options re gripping surfaces. You might or might not like the RTF frame. With the standard G17 that doesn't matter. You like the grip "naked", then run it naked. You want texture only in specific places, and of a specific texture, put the grip tape only where you want it; if it's too rough for you, hit it with a file.

(4) Easier to carry and conceal, and just as easy to shoot, as the G34. I know the G34 isn't one of your free options, I'm just pointing out that you're really not losing anything by going G17 instead. In my practice sessions I've found I shoot identical scores on the IDPA classifier with a G17 as my G34. I carried my G34 as my daily concealment gun for four years, so it can be done. But when you can shoot the exact same scores with the smaller gun as the larger gun, and the capacity is the same (the G17 uses the same magazines, and in fact the exact same frame) as the G34, it does become awfully hard to make a case for carrying the larger gun!

(5) Purely an emotional consideration, but I like the fact that the Glock 17 is the least common demominator handgun. There is something to be said for going out and kicking ass with such a common piece. Everyone has one. You go trounce the competition with one of these things, no one's going to be able to say you "bought the win" with some super-expensive, esoteric handgun that most people don't have. I've run into the attitude several times before that "You can can tell a lot about a man by the gun carries." Usually coming from 1911 fans just dying to show you their tricked-out carry guns. Well, what MY carry/match gun says is, "I don't care whether or not you're impressed with my gun." :lol:

Duane makes some good points. I chose the G22 based on another consideration. You can buy a OEM G17 and G31 barrel for your G22. Not that many folks care but this gives you basically 3 guns in 1. In fact the G22 mags will work with the 357 SIG. I used to switch out the extractor of the G22 with the G17 but found thru experience, that it's not necessary. This set up gives one more bang for the buck, pun intended.

+1

I'm the same way-- I have a G17 that's about as good as a Glock can get without being a G35 with the same mods. :rolleyes: I prefer my 1911 as well, and if I were in your shoes I'd sell the cert and put the money towards a 2011.

+1

I'm the same way-- I have a G17 that's about as good as a Glock can get without being a G35 with the same mods. :rolleyes: I prefer my 1911 as well, and if I were in your shoes I'd sell the cert and put the money towards a 2011.

+1 for one platform if you really prefer it over another

+1

+1 for one platform if you really prefer it over another

A glock 17 would allow you to shoot in several divisions as well as IDPA. On the other hand, if your leaning towards conceal carry a glock 19 would be hard to beat. I shot one yesterday and wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.