Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Halloween Match planning

Spray_N_Prey

Well I was starting to plan a "Halloween Match" to take place in October. I was thinking about using No-Shoots as "ghosts" and having the ghost trim on the bottom and maybe some eye holes. Maybe using some cut out cardboard for the scoring targets in the shape of pumpkins or cats or ghosts or whatever. As long as 25% of the A zone can be seen it's ok right?

My idea is to cut out a pumpkin, hold it in the middle of the target and spray the rest of the target black (hard cover). Would this be OK?

also on the No-Shoots it's supposed to be a single color, so you legally couldn't take a black magic marker and draw ghost eyes on the no-shoot?

I think instead of having a bed to lay on for the start, I might make a coffin and you have to retrieve your handgun from the grave.

and NO I HAVEN'T BEEN DRINKING EITHER, hehe.

Just thought it would be fun to have a theme for Halloween and maybe Christmas.

OR

you could come to Memphis and shoot in the Memphis Charity Challenge supporting St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital

A USPSA match open to all, but FEATURING Revolvers. ;)

(Found in handgun match announcements)

YES this is a Thread HIJACK !!!! :devil:

Hopalong

As far as I know the rules, everything you describe is fine.

If you're concerned about nonstandard shaped targets, you could have your small pumpkin or other silhouettes as hardcover over whole shoot targets. Or, if they're larger, as hardcover barricades immediately fronting the complete, unaltered shoot targets.

But, as wmw said, most anything goes at a club match. One of our local stage builders is notorious for removing the D zones or the A zones from his targets (leaving a nonscoring border).

(eta: Hiya, Hop. The 45 you sold me for a song is currently getting dressed up, ready to ride in SS.)

Edited by kevin c

My idea is to cut out a pumpkin, hold it in the middle of the target and spray the rest of the target black (hard cover). Would this be OK?

Just keep in mind that you'll need to have a clearly defined edge after painting the hard cover....

I have a collection of templets for hardcover that I have made over the years. Everything from footballs (Superbowl weekend) to turkey legs (Thanksgiving), hearts (Valentine's Day), four leaf clovers and even candy canes. Yeah I am sick like that. lol For Halloween you might have some sick fun with swingers on a semi-dark stage lit with a strobe light. ROFL *been there and done that*

Joe W.

One of our ranges got some Zombie targets and placed outside of ports. Then they ran some slats on the ports to give it that old boarded up look. You had to put two rounds in the body, then one on the head in that order. it was a really fun stage.

Here is the link to the pictures of last years Halloween match at EAGC.

LINK

AL

The EAGC match last year was fantastic! Alan and crew have some great ideas and pics on their site.

BTW Alan, I think we should incorporate a costume contest into this year's match... ;)

Just keep in mind that you'll need to have a clearly defined edge after painting the hard cover....

Easy trick that I figured out when I am painting weird hard cover targets. Use a template to paint and then go buy a ".44 MAG" marker- the tip is over 1/2" wide- and outline the painted edge.

LINK

AL

The EAGC match last year was fantastic! Alan and crew have some great ideas and pics on their site.

BTW Alan, I think we should incorporate a costume contest into this year's match... ;)

Well we do know Bobby already has his costume......there are pictures floating around on here somewhere.

LINK

AL

Well we do know Bobby already has his costume......there are pictures floating around on here somewhere.

:roflol::roflol:

You can pretty much do what you want for a club match.

Not if you intend to comply with the rulebook. The rules do not provide for any difference in approved targets for a local (Level I) match. Minimum A zone requirements are shown in App B2 and B3. Any hardcover (painted) must have a clear non-scoring border (Rule 4.2.4)

One of our ranges got some Zombie targets and placed outside of ports. Then they ran some slats on the ports to give it that old boarded up look. You had to put two rounds in the body, then one on the head in that order.

You can call them Zombies or you can call the ghosts but the targets and the scoring must follow the rules. "Two to the body, one to the head" (the old Mozambique) is not allowed. It violates both 1.1.5 and 9.2.2.

Those stages may be fun, but the scoring problems these things tend to expose can cause some hard feelings.

:cheers:

You can call them Zombies or you can call the ghosts but the targets and the scoring must follow the rules. "Two to the body, one to the head" (the old Mozambique) is not allowed. It violates both 1.1.5 and 9.2.2.

Those stages may be fun, but the scoring problems these things tend to expose can cause some hard feelings.

You could set up with two targets with a hard cover between them so that you have only body shots for the front target and a head shot for the other. Just requires two hits on the head shot as well.

You could set up with two targets with a hard cover between them so that you have only body shots for the front target and a head shot for the other. Just requires two hits on the head shot as well.

That would be perfectly legal.

And very realistic since we all know that most zombies are headless . :D

The Round topped Bianchi targets resemble tombstones. I have seen them marked

"RIP" help one's imagination.

Scoring the X, 10,8,and 5 ring could be a challage.

dcalvert

Yeah those are perfect tombstone shaped targets but I don't think I could bill the match as a USPSA match. They are not the approved targets. I really want to stay legal and bill the match as USPSA. I thought of those target too and it would be fun for a "halloween action pistol" match.

4.1.4.2 Cover provided merely to obscure targets is considered soft

cover. Shots which have passed through soft cover and which

strike a scoring target will score. Shots that have passed through

soft cover before hitting a no-shoot will be penalized. All scoring

zones on targets hidden by soft cover must be left wholly

intact. Targets obscured by soft cover must either be visible

through the soft cover or a portion of the affected target(s) must

be visible from around or over the soft cover.

4.1.5 Declaring a single, intact target to represent two or more targets by use

of tape, paint or any other means is prohibited.

4.1.4.2 Cover provided merely to obscure targets is considered soft

cover. Shots which have passed through soft cover and which

strike a scoring target will score. Shots that have passed through

soft cover before hitting a no-shoot will be penalized. All scoring

zones on targets hidden by soft cover must be left wholly

intact. Targets obscured by soft cover must either be visible

through the soft cover or a portion of the affected target(s) must

be visible from around or over the soft cover.

I'm pretty sure --- because I just tried it, while changing the office garbage bag --- that covering a target in a white trashcan liner leaves the target visible through the soft cover, in much the same way that "covered" targets remain visible.....

Or, one could carve a slit for the head, to protrude out of the bag, if one was so inclined.....

Of course I wouldn't want to score or paste those targets --- it should slow the match down significantly if all targets are bagged in this manner....