Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vihtavuori Powder for 9mm

YABA

Im thinking of trying some vv powder for 9mm 147gr speer/mg bullets. I looked at the vv reloading info and it seems that 320 or 330 would be the powder of choice. I shoot PPC so my main concern is accuracy especially at 50 yds. Which of these powders would be the most accurate , or is there perhaps another powder to consider?

Im currently using 231,wsf, bullseye.

I use N320 in 38 Super and love it. I've heard that N330 is a really good choice in with 9x19, but no experience with it. It might be better for you with those heavy bullets. Most folks I know who shoot at 50 use 115s.

I can't speak directly to those bullets, but I shoot N320 w 147 JHP and never had a problem shooting plates at 35-40 yards. Don't know what sort of accuracy you're looking for. I love N320 with 147s in my m&ps. Another benefit of that powder is that's it's proven to me to be very temperature stable. Get the same PF from my loads at 90 degrees and 40 degrees. Most folks I've talked to say it has about the same 'feel' as Titegroup, which seems to be another popular load.

Hope this is of some help.

JimInFL

When I was shooting MG 147s my load was 3.6gr of N320. This was a great load. It of course shot very nice and soft, and was actually very accurate. When I was doing what I supposed to that load would shoot under 2 inches at 25 yards out of my Glock 17. At 50 yards it would shoot inside of 4 inches. I see you are using WSF....FWIW the most accurate 9mm ammo I ever loaded was with WSF.

I have heard the same things about N330 you have. From what it sounds like it is the king of 9mm powders. Only problem is finding some. If accuracy is your concern I've heard of some people loading very accurate ammo with N350, which you can still get your hands on.

Edited by shrek1974

Im thinking of trying some vv powder for 9mm 147gr speer/mg bullets. I looked at the vv reloading info and it seems that 320 or 330 would be the powder of choice. I shoot PPC so my main concern is accuracy especially at 50 yds. Which of these powders would be the most accurate , or is there perhaps another powder to consider?

Im currently using 231,wsf, bullseye.

For sheer tight groups, N-330 get my vote in 9MM. That said, all the VV powders from N-320 (for some, even N-310) to 3-N-37 shoot very well in my guns. If I had to pick only one for all-around 9MM use, it would be 330.

VV 330 (340 will work about the same.... ;)

4.8grains-5.0grains

115 XTP JHP(MG are fine out to 35yds...XTP shine at 50yds)

1.120 OAL

Fed small pistol match primer

equals really small group at 50yds....(above is Bianchi load :)

I also really like VV 310 with 147grain bullets loaded out to at least 1.130 OAL too....

Good luck,

DougC

VV 330 (340 will work about the same.... ;)

4.8grains-5.0grains

115 XTP JHP(MG are fine out to 35yds...XTP shine at 50yds)

1.120 OAL

Fed small pistol match primer

equals really small group at 50yds....(above is Bianchi load :)

I also really like VV 310 with 147grain bullets loaded out to at least 1.130 OAL too....

Good luck,

DougC

I wanted to try that last load of yours. How many Grains are you using.

Thanks,

Jan

My favorite 9mm PPC loads:

5.1gr Vectan BA9 (unfortunately I've been unable to locate this powder in the US)

Zero 115gr JHP

OAL: 28.65mm

Federal 100 primers

Gave me 5-shot groups of ~30mm @ 50m from a ransom rest.

4.0gr VV340

Zero 147gr JHP

OAL: 28.6mm

Federal 100 primers

Gave me 5 shot groups of ~35mm @50m from a ransom rest.

Factory Winchester 147gr FMJTC gave me 5 shot groups of ~32mm at 50m from a ransom rest.

Factory Magtech 115gr JHP gave me 5 shot groups of ~35mm at 50m from a ransom rest.

All groups shot with a SIG210-5 LS.

Edited by gose

My favorite 9mm PPC loads:

5.1gr Vectan BA9 (unfortunately I've been unable to locate this powder in the US)

Zero 115gr JHP

OAL: 28.65mm

Federal 100 primers

Gave me 5-shot groups of ~30mm @ 50m from a ransom rest.

4.0gr VV340

Zero 147gr JHP

OAL: 28.6mm

Federal 100 primersGave me 5 shot groups of ~35mm @50m from a ransom rest.

Factory Winchester 147gr FMJTC gave me 5 shot groups of ~32mm at 50m from a ransom rest.

Factory Magtech 115gr JHP gave me 5 shot groups of ~35mm at 50m from a ransom rest.

All groups shot with a SIG210-5 LS.

Very close to my current infatuation...3.8 grains N-330 @ 1.125 under the Zeros.

Have enjoyed reading response to your post. Have been reloading for almost 50 years and yesterday purchased Vahtavuori powder for the first time. One pound of 3N37 and one pound of N320. Cost, $46.00 per pound! Yes, that is correct-no typo. Don't know what it is elsewhere, but in Fairbanks it is $46.00.

Hope to try the new powder this weekend with 125 and 147 lead in 9X19. Bullets from Missouri Bullet Company.

Will run test through chrony using mag primers (Why mag primers? Because that is all I have.)

Ps- The very first loading I did in 1963 was with a Lyman 310 tool and 2400 powder. The powder was about $3.15 a pound.

Well, I just ordered a pound of 320, 340 and 350. 330 wasnt avaiable.

All the VV pistol powders seem in perpetually short supply but N-330 is by far the hardest to find. If you shoot it and like it, my advice is to always "buy ahead" furthur than you normally would.

3.6gr N320, 147gr MG CMJ, 1.130 OAL works just fine for me.

+2 on this load except that my OAL is 1.072".

This gives a PF of 132 and a push straight back.

Change the powder to 3.9gr/Unique and this will gives a PF of 137.

Edited by RePete

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticing that all the OALs given are shorter than the MIN OALs stated in all my data!

Vihtavuori and LEE both have the min OALS AS 1.142" for all thier 147gr loads.

BTW...I finally got my hands on a lb each of 320,340,350. So far 4.8 gr n350@1.150" is the most accurate to date. 4 shots under an inch @ 50yds of a rest...problem is recoil is excessive enough that I could never shoot a match with it.

Edited by YABA

Just noticing that all the OALs given are shorter than the MIN OALs stated in all my data!

BTW...I finally got my hands on a lb each of 320,340,350. So far 4.8 gr n350@1.150" is the most accurate to date. 4 shots under an inch @ 50yds of a rest...problem is recoil is excessive enough that I could never shoot a match with it.

What bullet are you using?

And what's the velocity of your load?

What bullet are you using?

And what's the velocity of your load?

Speer 147 TMJ

Average velocity was 1008...I want to rerun this again, my chrony seemed to be giving the odd eratic reading so I think its worth redoing.