Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STEAK!

Seth

Lifted from an episode of Good Eats:

1/3 c. olive oil

1/4 c. soy sauce

4 green onions

2 cloves garlic

Juice of 2 limes (or a good quality substitute)

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

3 tbsp. brown sugar

Take it for a spin in the food processor or blender until smooth.

Place steak in 1 gallon-sized zip top freezer bag and add marinade. Squeeze out as much of the air as you can when sealing the bag.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, turning at least once.

It's very good.

OK, I admit to not being a hunter (although on the range, through their own bad luck wandering behind my targets, I have managed to off Stuart Little, Peter Rabbit, and Jonathan Livingston Seagull).

Shave it? Why, if yer skin'in it? :unsure:

Edited by kevin c

I had steak for dinner tonight. I have NO idea what my brother does to cook it, but it is better than any other steak I've ever had... I've even tried to spy on him while he does the dry rub, but he took the labels off of the spices and mixed them together so no one could figure it out. :(

Seth (might need a 2nd beer!!!)

Might? I can't believe that is even in question. :cheers:

Oh, and you shave if it says "oink", skin it if it says "moo".

Edited by SDM

Oh, and you shave it is says "oink", skin it if it says "moo".

I did have the 2nd beer...

And thanks for clarifying that. I assume that that's correct?

:surprise: Heat it over a little fire?? Heck, just walk mine through the kitchen and it will be cooked perfect for me. :roflol: Dang, now I am hungry again, a nice rare peice of beef with sauted portabella mushrooms and a green pepper corn sauce would be heaven right now.

Joe W.

Oh, and you shave it is says "oink", skin it if it says "moo".

I did have the 2nd beer...

And thanks for clarifying that. I assume that that's correct?

Essentially - method depends on volume but the hair is removed. Everything I've ever seen involved hot water followed by physical removal.

Nobody likes to pick the hair out of their pork rinds.

I'm a medium to medium well guy. I can't get in to the rare stuff, and especially (for the Texans) the Wayne Holloway school of cooking steak, "Wipe his ass, knock his horns off and put him on a plate. And, don't put it one of those warm plates. Put it on a salad plate. I don't want that thing cooking more on the plate. I need more biscuits to sop up the blood with too."

Rich

It depends on the cut, but I generally shoot for somewhere around medium, or just slightly less.

Wanna know the secret to learning how to cook great steaks? A meat thermometer. I like the kind that is a fork with the probes in the tips, but there's a lot of options out there. Try one. Learn the temperature ranges of the desired degrees of doneness in advance and you can plate what everyone wants without slicing into them and letting all that delicious juice run down onto the fire.

As experience grows you'll be able to tell by time and appearance how well steaks are done on your individual grill and you won't need the thermometer (but I use one anyway just to be sure).

Oh, and let them rest for 5 minutes in their own juices before cutting into them.

I want my steak rare, but I also want to keep it over the coals a long time to break down the conective tissue.

There is more to it than WHO cooks the meat and you don't very often get the extra good steaks at a grocery store unless they have a very experienced buyer and supplier. A good steak will be very limp; meaning if you hold a long KC Strip on one end the other end should droop to the floor. If it doesn't the animal might have had an adrenilin dump before hydraulic loss. A vet/USDA FSIS would do a lot better job of explaining this than me. I have just cooked a lot of protien products. And I have room to improve!

FM