Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to work on?

Now that Ft. Benning is staring down at me, I begin to wonder what next few month's practice should focus on...yeah...loading my shotgun for sure. B)

In Pat's recent thread on what to work on for pistol, he broke it into certain definable areas. And, he showed which areas had the most to be gained.

Can this be done generally for 3 gun? Is it the same aspects just with three different platforms? Then there's everything else 3 gun (gear, ammo, etc)...?

Borrowed from Pat's great thread...

Start by looking at what you either do most often. then look at where the biggest gains can be made.

Accuracy.

Splits.

Transitions.

Movement.

Reloads.

Draws. You only do 10, so a half second here is worth 5 seconds. It's important, but far outweighed by other factors. Dryfire the crap out of it at home, then check it at the range.

In the big picture you want to work on everything, it all costs time.

I guess to summarize, I can't see the trees for the forest...nor the forest for the trees...

Before you practice... you need to get the administrative side of things down pat. Do you know where your rifle is hitting from 0-450 yards? Do you know where your slugs are hitting from 0-100 yards? Etc.

You can do all the practice in the world. But if you don't have the administrative side down pat you are wasting ammo and time.

As far as practice, you need to identify what your weaknesses are. What are your weaknesses? Tell use your weakness and maybe somebody can tell you how to remedy it through practice.

Now that Ft. Benning is staring down at me, I begin to wonder what next few month's practice should focus on... B)

What do you suck at the most? For me, 300yd+ rifle.. So there is my pracitce. Second to that, as was pointed out to me by Kurt, was that I am relying on my comp for my 2nd shot on paper up close and not actually aiming it. So there. :rolleyes:

Ken,

What if I suck at all of it? Should I focus on the beer and good cigars? :devil:

For me it is leaving targets early on pistol. It is all mental so the only way to work on that is to erase my memory. If only there was a magical liquid that could take care of that for me.. ;)

Edited by mike_pinto

Tell use your weakness and maybe somebody can tell you how to remedy it through practice.

I was thinking more of an overall breakdown that results in less time overall...not just my specific issues...

For example: If you only change rifle mags once during a match, then spend more time practicing X because you perform X frequently over the course of the match.

One area that seems to be very important (and an area where I'm going to focus) are movements into and out of positions because really you are moving constantly. And even more specifically would be my balance.

I should have pointed out from the beginning that this is from a beginner stand point...so the rest of you experienced guys may have to dumb down for use newbies.

Well...don't get locked on to long range shots as there were only 3-4 over 300 last year.

Depending on which scoring system they use (Horner last year, but I have a feeling it'll be different) will dictate a lot. Like RS, do the lame boring stuff first and it will pay off down the line. Some other "tricks" are what shotgun shells to use. Pattern them and with whatever choke groups slugs the best.

There's a lot of the boring crap that goes in to a winning 3-Gun skill set. Of course we should do all the normal stuff that we would in a pistol match. However, this is a different animal and if the fundamentals are bypassed then you are just wasting time and ammo.

After that, work on gun transitions, SAFELY MOVING WITH ANOTHER FIREARM ON YOUR PERSON, and getting in to and out of positions with your long guns. From there, just execute good clean shots and you'll be surprised at how well you'll do.

Rich

Joel, you have to KNOW what your weaknesses are, RS is also correct in that you have to have the basics down, you must know that your equipment is#1 reliable, and #2 that you know your guns shortcomings or capabilities.

Then you can work on what YOU need to work on to improve.

It really is easy to figure it out,.................. what were you disappointed with from your last match!! What did you find yourself saying "if only I had" the most at.

When you go to the range for practice, or at home. Have a plan and only work on one or two things at a time. Don't try to accomplish too much at one time.

If you know your rifles trajectory and it is useable for the distances needed, and its sighted in properly, then you're good on that one.

If you can shoot your handgun accurately and quickly then thats good to go.

If you can get your SG loaded back up quickly, know where slugs hit out to 75-100yds, know how it patterns with 2 different chokes so you can knockdown plates out to 35yds, and can port load it if needed. then you're good with that one.

All this also includes knowing how to manipulate your guns and make them and keep them running during a stage.

Know all that, you'll be ahead of 50% of the field, the rest will take you knowing how to work on your personal weaknesses.

Trapr

"What to do to get ready for Ft. Benning?" is sort of like asking "How do I prepare for 3 gun?" You need to practice everything.

I would however concentrate on:

rifle zeroing and position shooting especially offhand and dealing with barricades

shotgun loading

more accuracy focus with all guns due to the Horner scoring system

Plate rack work with the pistol at 10-25 yards

Having functional equipment

Get in some semblance of shape and work on contorted positions

Be consistent and know what you can and cannot do on demand.

Did I mention rifle zeroing and shotgun loading

The guys do a good job of really wringing out your skill set at Ft. Benning. Be prepared for anything. You've got to be speedy but you have really got to be accurate. If you cannot hit rifle plates at 100 plus yards consistently, you will suffer. If you cannot work over a plate rack with your pistol at 20 yards, you will suffer.

"What to do to get ready for Ft. Benning?" is sort of like asking "How do I prepare for 3 gun?" You need to practice everything. That's kind of what I meant...everything --- but what saves the most time for the least effort. And before I get too many "can't short change practice" posts, I understand that too..."perfect practice makes perfect" - piano teacher voice still rankles in my head.

I'm just trying to figure out if there are finer points to the game aspect like:

"be sure to at least engage each target/don't get hung up on one single target"

"you can ask the RO for time...to determine remaining time on the COF."

"show up a day early to scout the courses"

Well the good news is I know where my slugs are at 100 yds, i know where my rifle is at 100 and my Burris Bullet drop compensator seems to be on as well at least to 400 yds, and the pistol is also poa...but the shooter?

The above, are all welcome points...maybe I asked the wrong question...maybe I need to attend a few more matches...

Thanks for the advice!

:cheers:

Edited by hk_mtbr

Joel, all those things you brought up are worth doing, take every advantage you can, Gen Sun Tzu said it best,........look for advantage, not perfection. this I believe is in regard to planning and not your skill set.

Getting there early to scout out the COF's is definetly on my to do list, as is make sure you minimize your penalties as much as possible, like engage all the targets!! and know when to stop shooting!! If the RO will give you info back thats a plus, some will, some won't. Also read the course description yourself and read it carefully, many times things are assumed when they are not necessarily so, if you think you have found a loophole ASK the RO! It happens more often than you might think, my squad discovered one at DPMS last year for a stage, and it was a doozie, until the MD came and nixed it, we asked the RO and he gave his approval but the final authority decided against us. I found one at the BRM3G, and asked the MD he had not thought of it before, but because we were the first squad on the stage, he changed the wording to eliminate the option.

Also I try to not watch other people shoot stages, if at all possible, I may watch the stage being shot, but I will not watch shooters it can put unneeded stress into your plan, by making things look harder or easier than they really are. Lastly, take a pair of binoculars with you to actually look at the LR rifle targets, so that you can see where they actually are and not where you THINK they are, light and shadows can be very deceptive.

trapr

Ken,

What if I suck at all of it? Should I focus on the beer and good cigars? :devil:

For me it is leaving targets early on pistol. It is all mental so the only way to work on that is to erase my memory. If only there was a magical liquid that could take care of that for me.. ;)

I had this problem for years, I fixed it by not allowing myself to transition until I saw the sight lift on the second shot. Not call the shot, or see it fully cycle just try to she it start to rise before you transition. It will all look slower through the sights but actually it is the same speed and you will not have those misses on the last target of an array.

When you practice this make sure and take good cigars to the range as it will speed up your learning. ;);)

Edited by ap3

I certainly like the way you think!

Actually, instead of working on it, I bought a faster pistol. Benny says it will hit nothing but alpha's every time I jerk the trigger back. Looking forward to it!

Really though, for three gun, watch some of the videos of the big matches like RM3G and FB. There you will see some of the best shooters, and some of the average shooters and the way they approach stages. Unlike Trapr, I still watch people run the stages if I am not 100% sure my way is the best way. I will also ask the veterans how they are going to run the stage. Most, if not all will tell you.. Nobody started this game as a pro. Everyone will tell you who helped them along with progression..

Mike

Speak for yourself Pinto, I started off with a 25th place at my very first 3-gun match (S.O.F, 250 shooters ), Then I was 13th (S.O.F.), Since then I haven't been out of the top ten at any 3-gun match I have attended.......Kind of Like you with an International Skeet gun :cheers:

As for what to work on...Being able to load your shotgun fast and with "eys off"!, Rifle shooting out to 300 from real weird positions and really push the first hit speed, Pistol...well there is that bumpy thing on the front. KurtM

Oh yea and if Kelly hasn't mentioned it.....KNOW YOUR ZEROS!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been thinking about this... here is my top 3;

Shotgun reloading

Rifle zero, "including" increments of 50 y out to 500 y

New scoring, D hits or - 1.5 second not good. Practice controlled shots and trigger pull especially moving from shotgun to pistol...

• 2 months later...

Without a doubt knowing where your POA/POI is crucial, for all three weapons. Second, practice reloads till it's muscle memory. Third, shoot the stage in a controlled manner. This is a marathon, not s sprint race. Finally,get into shape. These stages will get your heart rate up and tax your ability to make the difficult shot. Set realistic goals for yourself. Have Fun.

Ken,

:cheers: every time me and ole jack daniels got together, my mine was purged thoroughly. unfortunately waking up the next morning was vividly clear. on pistols, i have found that closing my eyes just as i finish the trigger pull works best. that way, if it is a bad shot, i won't see it.

1chota :cheers: