Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So whats wrong with the STI ACT mags ?

el pres

It is hard to argue with Wilson mags period. They are notorious for working in every gun, all the time, for a long time. The 47D is a staple, but the ETM is the nicest thing ever to happen to your single stack pistol. They also reload with 8 rounds like most mags would with 6. That is the only reason to go with them, they are the best, they are proven, and they are available. It isn't just ACT, but Kimber, Colt, Promag, and many other factory mags just won't hold up to hard use. If you want your stuff to work 100% all the time, use the best.

The ones that came with mine were Novak. they never run 100%. Just went with Wilson's, so I don't have to worry about it. A malfuntion will cost me a match. I can't use gear that does not work 100%. Almost 7k thru them and no issues. I do use the Novak to LAMR.

the act manufactured, stamped (insert pistol manufacturer brand here) mags i have were from the batch that had feed lip cracking issues. work fine but i don't like the lip issue. they were replaced by the pistol company, as there were guaranteed for life, but i promptly sold them. i use the old tripps and wilsons with no issues whatsoever.

Slightly OT but I have a Kimber Stainless Compact that doesn't work with any of the 8 Wilson mags I have. Works fine with CMC mags though, go figure. I do think Wilsons are the best but nothing is 100%.

Assuming they don't crack, there's nothing wrong with ACT-Mags. Until Check-Mate introduced their extended-tube 8-rounders, ACTs were my mag of choice. If you have Novak's branded ACT-Mags, the former will replace any that crack, but mags that don't crack would certainly be preferable.

Wilson mags are certainly not magic, and with specs all over the place on "1911" pistols, it's likely that you may have to do a little testing to find a brand that always works in a given gun.

They also stand behind thier products. A friend of mine called them to purchase new springs and followers for 4 Wilson 47D mags that were 8 years old, they told him to ship them back to them. A couple of days later he received 4 brand new 47Ds from Wilson before he sent the old ones back.

They also stand behind thier products. A friend of mine called them to purchase new springs and followers for 4 Wilson 47D mags that were 8 years old, they told him to ship them back to them. A couple of days later he received 4 brand new 47Ds from Wilson before he sent the old ones back.

I have had the same results with Chip McCormick at half the price. I've been running my six CMC Power Mags for over 4 years.

I do own two Wilson 47Ds as well.

The ACT-Mags have a bad reputation for the feed lips cracking. Also, in my experience the floorplate is very fragile. The very first - and only - time I ever did a speeload with an ACT-Mag on an indoor range with a concrete floor, when the empty magazine hit the concrete the floorplate shattered into a zillion pieces and the spring and follower went zinging off across the range. Not a fan, to put it mildly.

No, these mags are not made by Novak's, though they're sold by Novak's with their name on the side. They're not made by STI either; ACT-Mag is an Italian company.

I have had the same results with Chip McCormick at half the price. I've been running my six CMC Power Mags for over 4 years.

I do own two Wilson 47Ds as well.

I am in the same boat. I bought McCormicks because I got a good deal and they were much less than Wilsons, and haven't had a mag-related malfunction yet. They still look stock as well.

I will agree with almost everyone here regarding Wilson 8rnd mags. They are great. I really like their follower.

However, if you decide to get 10 rounders then I would stay away from Wilsons. Their 10 round mags have a pin on the front that is intended to prevent over insertion. However, after a short period of time that pin/tab moves or breaks and you start getting over insertion jams. I've seen quite a few of this exact same jam and they were all with Wilson 10 rounders.

Chris

I have used alot of mags for years and the best I have found are Cobra Mags, Wilson and Chip Power Mags. Novaks do work but, I have found the other three to be of better quality. I use Cobra Mags now for my 9mm and 45 now.

I don't know why a few very well known manufactures supply one with thier products but, I would say for the money when you go and get a few magazines you can not go wrong with the way the first three will back the products they make.