Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Timney triggers

kimberacp

Would forum member recommend them? Timney website has two listed; competition model and the skeletonized model for fifty dollars more.

Have anyone tried these or is there something better to go with?

thanks

I am partial to the Timney trigger for the AR - very crisp break at about 3 lbs. Mine is the skeletonized.

Easy installation, use locktite, no issues. Huge difference from stock.

I like it as well or better than the Accuracy Speaks trigger and the Rock River 2-stage - can't go wrong on any of them.

I don't like super light triggers like the JP's and such that I have tried.

Granted, I haven't tried every trigger or trigger system in the world so I can't say which is best - pick one and go with it.

I do like the Timney.

A lot of shooters (including myself) in Az have had trouble with the Timney, usually failing to reset. I sent mine back and they sent me a new one. I don't compete with a Timney (JP for me!) but I did go through Kyle Lamb's class with my new Timney and it worked just fine - and that class was a real workout on the gun.

I use the Chip McCormick Super Match drop in trigger.

Works fantastic in all my 223 AR's.

It did not light all the primers when used in my 308 AR.

Would not Barnaul ammo for some reason. Worked fine on other 308 ammo though including handloads.

I have the Timney larger radius trigger and love it. I really wanted a flat trigger, but there weren't any available (the McCormick was not in production at the time). The Timney was the next best thing.

I have one on one AR and a Benny installed JP on the other, I like them both can not much tell the deference. Have not shot a competition with the Timmey.

Make an offer and I will ship the Timmey to you = regular one not the skeleton

• 2 months later...

At the recommendation of KGUNZ11, I had my AR trigger done by Frank White at Compass Lake. http://www.compasslake.com Basically, $100 for about as nice a trigger you would want. He modifies the stock parts and you end up with an adjustable trigger that is as smooth and crisp as you could ask out of a trigger costing 1/4 what most cost. Mine is set at 4lbs.

A great many Camp Perry shooters use his triggers.

Fast turn around time, too.

Mark K.

Edited by Mark K

I have the skeletonized 3lb Timney. I bought it new from another 3 gunner that said it was part of a big special order. Install was brain dead easy and the pull is a crisp, glass breaking 1.5lbs. I measured the pull weight with two different scales and its consistently 1.5 lbs with both. No doubling and fast reset, though I've beat the reset a couple times but it was probably my fault.

I've tried other triggers out including the finely tuned JP, RRA match and that new Gold trigger. The JP I've shot is a GREAT trigger with ever so slightly pretravel and a crisp break, but this trigger had a lot of work done by a gunsmith and wasn't drop in. I didn't care for the RRA match trigger and the Gold trigger was nice but for the money I would buy another Timney.

I havn't shot the McCormick trigger but someone at the club I shoot had one and it goes full auto. He called McCormick and they said his model wasn't one of the ones that they had trouble with. I've seen him put 4 rounds in a target on one trigger pull and thats not fun when you aren't expecting it. McCormick had a recall but that was for a different model.

Timney 3 lb is great, works well, installs easily and is about bullet proof. You can also adjust it downward if you will just heat the locite.

Jared is likely as good or better. Harder to install. Harder still to adjust. Requires regular maintenance.

Gold trigger is now my choice. All the atributes of the Timney and as crisp as the Jared, Best reset of all the triggers out there for an AR.

I won a Timney when they first came out. It had alot of creep and broke at 3.5#

I called Timney and they told me to send it to them. I got what I believe to be the same trigger back with no creep but it doubled about every thrid pull of the trigger. I sent it back again and got a new one in the package. It worked pretty good for about 800 rounds and started to double. I sent it back and they sent me one with a more straighter trigger that was not skeletonized. Right after that they started selling a 4# version that looked just like the one I had. But the one they sent me measured just shy of 3.5# and had a better feel and reset to it. I sold it not long after and replaced it with another JP.

I've always gone back to the JP until the AR Gold came out. And again...I was lucky enough to pull an AR Gold off the prize table at last years MG Nats. I find the AR Gold to be the cream of the crop at the moment. And I'm into it 6500 rounds without any issue. After winning one....I can say I would buy another. But if I had not won the first one....I probably would not have bought one to try.

My experience has been along the lines of 00bullitt. I've purchased 3 in all. One was returned for a refund, and the other two were sent back to the factory, which they replaced. The replacements seem satifactory, but one of them has a little creap. They are installed in match rifles now and both seem to function fine, except one is a little creepy.

I also have Jard (non-adjustable), Accuracy Speaks (non-adjustable), RRA 2-stage, and JP. Of all of them are fine triggers, but I'll have to come down on the JP side as my preference. I have not tried the Gold, but if I win one in a match, then I'll certainly try it. B)

Skeletonized #3.5 Timney came factory installed in my P.O.F. AR15.

It is supper fast and consistent and I've had no problems as described by some above.

So, I bought another and installed it in another AR15 and had a variety of problems, as set forth above.

I now run Chip McCormick Triggers in my other AR15's.

In my AR10 I run a #4.0 Timney designed for the AR10.

It is consistent but noticeably heavier than the Timney in the P.O.F. but it consistently ignites even hard military surplus primed ammo, which the CMC did not.