conservative in increasing production (don't want to

hire new employees or retool) . "No one Knows" how

long it will last, but some calibers are being delivered

to stores more frequently "lately" (Not sure when this

was written).

Hope I put this in the correct section?

Jack

• 3 weeks later...
Gun broker has thousands, and I mean thousands up for auction. I hope no one buys them and the pinheads selling them choke on 'em! :angry2:

I concur. Whole heartedly agree. <_<

That makes three... I don't try and take advantage of people in hard times, I think it would be hilarious if they got stuck with something they bought high to sell higher. I know, I know, supply and demand economics... yada yada. If I was running around Somalia selling $30. happy meals people would be pissed.

Edited by dsmw5142

Gun broker has thousands, and I mean thousands up for auction. I hope no one buys them and the pinheads selling them choke on 'em! :angry2:

I don't understand that way of thinking. If I had primers that I had trouble selling, I might be reduced to putting them on Gunbroker. Of course I'd start the bidding at my shelf price and offer a "buy it now" at that price. Gunbroker is a great advertising tool. No one wanted the 15,000 Federal Small Pistol Magnum Primers I got in 2 weeks ago so I sold them to a manufacturer in 1 lot. If the BR2's that are on the way become hard to sell I'll do the same thing again. I'm in the business of selling stuff, not looking at it sitting on the shelf and if Gunbroker helps me achieve that goal then so be it, but everything I have is offered here first. Now if the seller is marking the product up 200% and some idiot is willing to pay that, then who's at fault? I just don't understand the animosity towards sellers on Gunbroker. :rolleyes:

I don't understand that way of thinking. If I had primers that I had trouble selling, I might be reduced to putting them on Gunbroker. Of course I'd start the bidding at my shelf price and offer a "buy it now" at that price. Gunbroker is a great advertising tool. No one wanted the 15,000 Federal Small Pistol Magnum Primers I got in 2 weeks ago so I sold them to a manufacturer in 1 lot. If the BR2's that are on the way become hard to sell I'll do the same thing again. I'm in the business of selling stuff, not looking at it sitting on the shelf and if Gunbroker helps me achieve that goal then so be it, but everything I have is offered here first. Now if the seller is marking the product up 200% and some idiot is willing to pay that, then who's at fault? I just don't understand the animosity towards sellers on Gunbroker. :rolleyes:

The only way to explain it is blatant ignorance of the law of demand.

(for those of you who don't know, the law of demand states that there exists an inverse relationship between price and quantity demanded)

The shortage has helped my shooting. Rather than practicing with live ammo (about 250 rounds/week). I've turned to dry fire practice. Not surprising, by draw times, reloading and transitions have all improved....... Also, I'm having fewer misses, thus saving on primers.

Supply and demand works. This will pass. Buy some primers from your "stocked up" friends and return the favor when they're short on something.

I know that a lot of people are upset about the prices of primers, PMAG's, etc. and GunBroker is an easy target. I would rather deal with free enterprise and allowing the free market to set the price anyday of the week. Would you rather have the government set the price? Do you really believe that this administration is going to have a "primer supply bail out?" All of the animosity towards sellers isn't going to help the situation either. If they can get 200% for their primers, let them. If you don't want to pay it, don't. It just amazes me how much energy we waste getting angry over the prices.

Jason

Think all of us who reload on a regular basis have learned a valuable lesson. As much as I hate to admit it I think the change in administrations and rumors of "change" had a lot to do with the increase in demand by all including casual reloaders.

I disagree with the idea that primer manufacturers haven't taken steps to increase production. It's in their best interest to run several shifts in order to meet demand, i.e., running swing and night shifts. It doesn't take a financial wizard to understand the basic laws of supply and demand or economy of scale. Companies who are financially capable will pay off debts and buy new tools during booms in preparation for rainy days.

What I'm getting at is, a lot of the people selling primers on Gunbroker don't even have weapons, reloading presses or anything else to do with the shooting sports. :angry: They bought up a massive amount of the supply simply to sell again at a profit, which in effect amounts to price gouging. How many times have you screamed about the price of gasoline, especially in the southern states, when a hurricane is near? I don't think of it as being "business smart" to buy primers and re-sell on a site such as Gunbroker. I think of it as being more of a vulture, preying on peoples fears that primers won't become available again. :sick:

Bobby,

I think this comes from the incorrect belief that since we all are gun owners we should have some sort of honor towards each other.

Some think that this common interest makes us friends. And the corollary to that is that friends don't take advantage of friends.

I think it comes from the " Us vs Them" mentality of the whole 2nd Amendment fight.

Gotcha. Admittedly, I don't see how some people can sleep at night with some of the powder and primer prices I have seen on Gunbroker. It's one thing to start the bidding at MSRP and let the market dictate the price it brings, it's a whole different story when the starting price is twice the current shelf price. I've determined in my own personal business that powder and primers is a non profit area of business. I have entirely too much money invested in it, and if I could go back I don't think I would buy it all again. I wanted to do it as a service to the shooting community, but after the low profit margins and the fees associated with HazMat shipping, I think I might be losing money. Heck they even charge me to schedule a pick up. One thing we have considered was shipping HazMat on 1 day out of the week and make that on Friday. Bad thing about that is I want to be an expedient shipper and I wouldn't be for the guy that ordered on Monday. Another thought is to ship HazMaterials on Wednesday and Friday, so nobodys order is ever more than 2 days from leaving. After all the forms you have to buy and fill out, all the stickers to put on the boxes, the insurance, and the cost of the boxes, there's no money in a $4 profit on a pound of powder. :( I'm in it way too deep to back out now. <_<

What I'm getting at is, a lot of the people selling primers on Gunbroker don't even have weapons, reloading presses or anything else to do with the shooting sports. They bought up a massive amount of the supply simply to sell again at a profit, which in effect amounts to price gouging. How many times have you screamed about the price of gasoline, especially in the southern states, when a hurricane is near? I don't think of it as being "business smart" to buy primers and re-sell on a site such as Gunbroker. I think of it as being more of a vulture, preying on peoples fears that primers won't become available again.

Capitalism is based on mutually beneficial transactions. Seller wants money more than his primers, buyer wants primers more than his money...each side gets what they want. If you want your money more than the primers, you are not required to buy the primers. It's a free market...enjoy it while you can.

At one of the local shops, there were 4 - 1k bricks of FSPP for $99.95 a thousand. There was little sign beside the primers that said 'Rick's Y2K stash'. Rick was a guy working behind the counter. When I told him he should be ashamed of himself, he just laughed and said he had already sold 6 boxes.

Actually the "supply and demand" has gotten so bad that CME exchange has added Primers as a trading basket. I trade on futures somethimes and the guys in my trading room talked about TRADERs who bought like 250,000 K at a time and will sell when the price is right. Some did ammo too. I was lucky i got my ammo i needed when I saw it coming in Oct. But need primers now. I'll just wait for the back orders, no way I'm paying 200+ %.

BTW- anyone wnat to sell some small pistol primers at a decent price ? let me know if you do.

I read the American Rifleman article on primers and realized that what I suspected to be true, which made me mad. While I was fortunate enough to have purchased 20K of WSP primers prior to November 4th I just broke into my last case. I've had 15K of WSP on order from Cabella's since January and have yet to see my package.

I am starting to see primers at my local shooting range and they are selling at "regular" prices.

I guess I'm fortunate, our local gun store has had a fairly consistent supply selling at MSRP, they do limit you to 1000 a week.

I wish I could find that around here. I haven't seen anything cheaper than $40/k.

I just got a phone call from PV - my order for 25,000

Wolf primers from February will ship today:))

Jack

I couldn't agree more. I'll shoot airguns or maybe even join the brady bunch (sarcasm) before I buy one lone primer off of those crooks.

SP and SR primers are starting to show up from time to time in my area.

Edited by Shadowrider

I haven't been able to buy any primers THIS YEAR! I have some on backorder but you know how that's going! I tried to suggest to my wife last fall that maybe we should get a couple more cases of primers, but she said "why... you have enough for the season don't you?" And then I got a 650, an XDm40, and an XD40 tactical to round out my "collection" and the primer thing got serious!

I couldn't agree more. I'll shoot airguns or maybe even join the brady bunch (sarcasm) before I buy one lone primer off of those crooks.

SP and SR primers are starting to show up from time to time in my area.

I have Area 7, Area 8, Nationals, Area 4 and Ohio State and Gator Classic left for the year. Now this does not count the practice sessions or local matches...I needed primers and i bought them of a certain organization out in a certain western state with a "Big Sky" for $60.00/1000...This is 60 little lessons i learned about the fact that i let my "war" stock deplete to 3000...

I know, I know , I know..but what was i going to do... throw rocks.... LOL

T-VS

I've heard it will be a year before things might go back to normal.

I'll never have less than 40,000 primers again.

I agree, 40,000 minimum. :cheers:

If we all thought like that, it would create the ultimate shortage. It is a manufacturing issue, and a demand issue. It's hard to watch people laugh to the bank, c'est la vie. It will be longer until prices come down too, everyone that buys 40k will dry up the supply, and pricing will remain fixed. Demand will not go down on primers until there is a flood. We have to NOT want the stuff, and that isn't happening.