Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Loads

PaulW

Eric,

What are you finding is a good load with 115s and 3n37 with the new power factor?? I am thinking of switching the the lighter bullet with the new gun coming and need a place to start .thanks

Erik,

Too many holes???  Actually I have three small porpuse holes, and dawson's #2 comp.  My barrel has probably 30,000 rounds through it as well.  At the last three big matches I shot I was at about 174 pf, and that was with 9.2 grains.

eerw, I think I use close to 9 gr of 3N37 under a Montana Gold 115 JHP for 170 PF. Check the Vihtavuori pamphlet and web site. As you can see here, individual guns vary greatly.

Paul, wow, you don't even have a hybrid and you need all that powder for 174 PF? Only 8.3 of N350 is getting me like 172 PF. No blowholes, much newer barrel.

This is why you must use caution when duplicating loads. My 115gr loads for my old super was 9.5 of 3n37...granted it was a bit hot at 177 PF. but I'd still need 9.2 - 9.3 for 173 -174 wher I like to be. With the new IMM we have to run even hotter...115 won't make it. 124 will but I need 9.5 - 9.6 of 3n37 or 9.7 of 3n38. that gets me around a 167 PF (at the nationals)

Pat

I'm using 8.5gr of 3n-37 with a 115gr montana gold. I chronied this load at 50 degree weather, and it's at 161 power factor.What would be the ideal load to make power factor with this combination? Will the weather actually slow down a bullet?

8.1 of imr 7625 gives me 169 pf with a montana 115 jhp. I have used 9 gr. of 3n37 with the same bullet to get the same pf , i have found though that there is more junk coming out of the comp and getting on the c-more lens with this powder , impressive flame though.

I've gone back to 124gr bullets for IPSC major.  I don't see a big advantage in 115's with my Super and would rather not deal with the pressures.  7.8gr of 350 or 8.4 of 4756 are my usual loads.

btw, I think Shooters Connection usually carries 3n37

Where can you find the VV powders? Down here no local dealers carry it. Only place is Leck's guns in another town.  I was looking for single cans to try it. I still use AA#7 115gr Zero about 11.3 grs for 169 pf. Had a load at one time with HS7 but didn't like the way it felt.

Mike4045

• 1 month later...

Check this local club page for loads http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/index.html

As stated all guns are different. Start low and go slow.

I use 115 G Hornady, 9.2?? of 3N37, 1.455 and Remington brass, Federal match rifle primer. Chrono guys and my squad mates always go gee 166-167 PF you squeeked it. I say yea. If they would watch the numbers they would have seen a 5 fps difference. I have had my load chronoed at least 250 times. I understand the logic of a safety allowance. I load match ammo very carefully and check it many times during the year.

Jack at Practicalshooting.com gave me the best deal I have had yet on shipped powder. Even cheaper if you pick it up at a big match

The max book load for N105 is: 10.1 gr N105 VV max, 38 Super, 1.260", 130 FMJ, 5.5", 1457 fsp

I have shot 11.5 gr TU-90 Piltol reamed to 23mm chamber, Starline Super comp brass, 130 gr FMJ .59", 1.3", case near full, powder springy 114% of max load, this is a wimpy load

I like a different load: 1.3", 147 gr XTP worked up to above the  LONGSHOT max load for 38 Super, in Winchester 9x23 brass. This load rocks.

Quote: from Erik Warren on 9:57 pm on Feb. 17, 2002
There must be some weird U.S. trade protection that precludes gun dealers from stocking quality Finnish smokeless powder...

Actually, in our locale it's the Fire Marshall. They won't allow the gunstores here to stock any economical order quantity, so everybody has just about quit carrying powder at all.

Gun Control, it seems, takes many forms.

E

• 2 weeks later...

I use 11.7 grs of Accurate #7 with a 115 gr Montana Gold bullet. (1.240) 178pf. Another good load is 8.7 grs of 3N37 with a 125gr. Montana Gold bullet.(1.250) 178pf. These loads can be lowered a bit for the new 165PF. My guns was built 1 year before major power factor was lowered and functions better at 175. Good Luck