Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My yellow lab being bitten

RangerTrace

After our workout this morning, I let the dogs out to play, while I enjoyed a Monster on the front porch.

A short time later, I noticed Parker, my 9 year old (retired drug dog) yellow Lab, favoring his back, left leg. I checked him out and noticed a little spot of blood on this toe. I didn't notice any swelling at the time, so I just put him back in the dog run with some rimadyl.

A few minutes later, I found a small copperhead snake on the front sidewalk and killed it. I'm sure the snake bit him, but Parker won't tell me anything :surprise:

With the vet's advice, benadryl seems to be taking care of the swelling.

Damn snakes <_< My wife REALLY HATES THEM! :angry2: But, at least we don't have rattle snakes around here!

Sorry man, that sucks. Our lab is whimsically inquisitive about everything and has the threat assessment skills of a Hassidic comic doing a standup routine in Beirut. Not such a bad deal in St. Louis but since moving here to Phoenix he is never ever off the leash during rattlesnake season.

Hope your guy heals quickly.

Yeah my two got into it with a pretty good cottonmouth about three yrs ago, i had to laugh when i saw them there faces where like balloons got the benedryl in them and they never looked back. Hope Parker recovers fast.

I hope your Parker gets well soon... Your wife is a smart lady, disliking snakes, that is.

My Parker is my avatar.

Good for you....Parker is my man! I got him at 3 months old and named him after Parker County, Texas (where I was stationed at the time). He is the most loyal dog/partner I have ever had :cheers:

Was watching the Outdoor or Sportsman channel the other evening and they were training hunting dogs with rattlesnakes that had the venom milked out of them. Dogs got curious and close once and got bit. After that you couldn't drag one of those dogs within 10 feet of the rattler. Hope your dog has learned his lesson too.

I hope your dog's is OK.

I hear about a lot of dog's being bite by rattlesnakes. They almost all seem to make it through fine. Anybody know if dogs are more resistant to the venom?

One of my dogs got nailed in the chin a few years ago, came out just fine(not sure any wiser) My dogs now get a rattlesnake vaccine every year..

Going by your avatar, if I were a snake I'd stay away from your dog.

He's acting a lot better this morning. The foot and leg are still swollen, but he doesn't appear to be in pain.

Glad to hear Parker is doing better!!!

Our friend's pooch got nailed by a Western Diamondback a couple of weeks ago. They live 20+min off the nearest paved road and probably next to an hour from the nearest vet so they actually keep some antivenom handed....good thing or they would have lost a dog from what the vet said later. I don't have to worry about one of our dogs, but the other one has a crazy prey drive and probably should have already had the snake conditioning training done. R,

I'm glad to hear your dog is doing better. We lost our 10 year old chocolate lab (Tequila) to a cotton mouth bite a few years ago. She was bitten in the arm pit and got her lymph node. My wife worked for a vet for several years and luckily snake bites are rarely deadly to dogs, painful as heck though.

After our workout this morning, I let the dogs out to play, while I enjoyed a Monster on the front porch.

A short time later, I noticed Parker, my 9 year old (retired drug dog) yellow Lab, favoring his back, left leg. I checked him out and noticed a little spot of blood on this toe. I didn't notice any swelling at the time, so I just put him back in the dog run with some rimadyl.

A few minutes later, I found a small copperhead snake on the front sidewalk and killed it. I'm sure the snake bit him, but Parker won't tell me anything :surprise:

With the vet's advice, benadryl seems to be taking care of the swelling.

Damn snakes <_< My wife REALLY HATES THEM! :angry2: But, at least we don't have rattle snakes around here!

Hope he's doing well. Our labs ran across water moccasins a couple of times - vet advised Aspirin for swelling, and neither dog ever looked like he was in much pain, but both were puzzled by the swelling. Vet said snake venom was rarely a serious issue in big dogs unless an airway was constricted or the dog was in poor health.

• 2 weeks later...

Just this past weekend, my wife and I are in Middle TN, and our 10 yr old Jack Russell finds a big copperhead. Fang marks on her front leg are a good half inch or more apart. She limps pretty bad Saturday night and Sunday, but with a few doses of baby apsirin, she's a Jack Russell again by Sunday night. Guess the snake didn't inject much venom, because the swelling wasn't too bad.

Dogs are tough!

dogs are quite resilient animals.

My dog once got hit by a car at about 40MPH, he got up when I got there and put the leash on him. took a dump and limped home. amazing

I think some bites are dry. My 2 Catahoulas killed a pair of mating cottonmouths a few years ago that washed up on my back steps after a torrential rain. Fortunately they were not that big and Catahoulas have crunch bite. I still worry about them during snake mating season or when we are in the woods. They definitely didn't learn to stay away from snakes.. Hope your dog is ok.

My dog once got hit by a car at about 40MPH, he got up when I got there and put the leash on him. took a dump and limped home. amazing

Wait...I'm confused...who took a dump?

Wait...I'm confused...who took a dump?

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Parker is good to go, thanks! I would have been worried about the Jack Russell. Our Vet said it was Parker's size (85 pounds) that kept it from being a big deal. We have a Westie that might not have been so lucky.

BTW, I killed it with a shovel. :sight: