Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning down a barrel

Glockcomma

I dropped off a stainless 20" heavy barrel at a gunsmith yesterday to be lightened and shortened. He plans on turning the rear portion of the barrel from the gas port area to the rear shoulder to .800, is that to thin? I've been looking everywhere I can think of on line and can't get an outside dimension at the chamber anywhere except AR15 Barrels.com they show .980 for the first 2.5". I don't want to second guess this guy he has been a gunsmith/machinist for a long time, but I don't want to flinch every time I pull the trigger either.

.800 is way more than enough meat under the hand guard. I've seen .650 plenty of times. Never thought to measure the OD of a class III M-16 bbl, but it probably isn't more than .800.

BTW, the finished OD wouldn't bother me as much as the turning down and what it does stress wise to a barrel. Contouring should be done before the barrel is rifled for utmost accuracy potential. Then again, I have to remind myself most folks are happy with 1.5MOA out of an AR.

That's a relief about the dia. thanks. But now I'm stressed about the accuracy, this barrel is a 1/2 moa barrel and that's with me behind it. It's a sweet shooting rifle but just so damn heavy, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

If your smith goes REALLY slow and removes very little material in each pass it might not hurt much, but it's going to take a long time to do. You don't want the bbl to get above room temperature, so he should use lots of coolant. Even then, you're not out of the dark, the bbl might have stress in it waiting to happen. The safest bet is to sell what you have to someone that doesn't mind the heavier bbl and get one the size you want. AR barrels aren't as hard to get as people think.

I emailed him this morning before I took off to shoot a match in Albany OR. and told him to pass on the lightening, when I got home he had left a message that it was already done. Where is crappy service when you want it. I'll find out if he kept it cool and try to get out and shoot it before to long and report back. Thanks guys for your help, Tim

Thanks Larry yours and Benny's post makes me fell better. I just hope that he kept it cool, it's not this guys first rodeo he has been doing this for a long time I think I'll be O.K. Does anybody know how short of a barrel you can run with a rifle length gas system?

Assuming he kept it cool and turned it properly.....you won't have any trouble. I've had barrels lightened and fluted that came back shooting better than before. I've never had one come back shooting worse. My smith uses a mist type cooling system which keeps the barrel very very cool. I've turned them down to .700 under the handguards and fluted it as well. JP used to do a barrel that was .500 under the handguards. I prefer somewhere between .680-.720 under the handguards with flutes and .740 in front of the block with more flutes. I like my barrels fairly light. The one I shoot in competition now is a Noveske 18" that was fluted after the fact and it shoots 1/2 moa after 5500 rounds.

Mine is really heavy near the barrel extension for about the first 2.5" or so about .900", forward of that to the gas block I had turned to .650".

My barrel is a 18" rifle gas White Oak 1x7 and was SPR profile.

3gunriflewsights.jpg

On my wifes I went down to .630", hers is a 18" midlength gas White Oak 1x7 and was SPR profile.

Drewsbblwork003.jpg

I just picked up my barrel, my man does not use a cooling system he just takes it real slow .0020 cuts he said it never gets hot. It is exactly one pound lighter and the gun feels way better. It's 18" now threaded and crowned, I'll post again after I get a chance to shoot it.

AS long as he uses plenty of coolent to keep it cold, it does'nt matter.

Benny turned down my hbar to .660 or so and it was just as accurate as before.

thank you again, sir! :cheers:

Edited by mike cyrwus

Assuming he kept it cool and turned it properly.....you won't have any trouble. I've had barrels lightened and fluted that came back shooting better than before. I've never had one come back shooting worse. My smith uses a mist type cooling system which keeps the barrel very very cool. I've turned them down to .700 under the handguards and fluted it as well. JP used to do a barrel that was .500 under the handguards. I prefer somewhere between .680-.720 under the handguards with flutes and .740 in front of the block with more flutes. I like my barrels fairly light. The one I shoot in competition now is a Noveske 18" that was fluted after the fact and it shoots 1/2 moa after 5500 rounds.

JP still does - their Ultra-light 18" is .5 under handguard and .745 in front of gas block. But they do lower the rifling to 1:9 I assume to keep heat build-up down.

ah...0.020" sounds like a much more reasonable depth of cut :D Thought maybe your guy REALLY wasn't into taking big cuts. When I'm working titanium for my rings and pens, my big bites are 0.020" deep.

~Mitch

I realize we are talking about 5.56 barrels here, but does anybody have a suggestion for a minimum acceptable diameter for a 6.8 spc barrel? I have a Bison Armory 20" 6.8 barrel on order, and it has a .840 diameter out to gas block, then .750 at the block, followed by .720 to the FH. As it is going to be a 3-gun 'toy' rifle, I am on the fence as to whether or not to get it lightened under the hand guard. I want it light and quick, but I don't want to ruin my new barrel.