Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix for the snapping shellplate on a 650

For anybody in Australia who wants to try this.

My local bearing supplier didn't have them in stock but got them withing 24 hours.

Part numbers are

Timken NTA 815 for the bearing

Timken TRC 815 for the thrust washers.

Note: Those thrust washers are 1/16" thick. They did have 1/32 (.032") available but I forgot what I was supposed to be buying:wacko:

Peter

Brisbane

Australia

G'Day Pete,

Thanks for the info, got my 650 last Friday and man is it good .... the guys in here are really at the top of the game as far as this stuff goes.

Lazy Dave

Little River Raiders

Single Action Shooting Australia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XDNiner friend gave me these parts yesterday and I installed them today. Haven't load any rounds yet with the bearign/washers installed but the shellplate feels SOLID. Thanks for coming up with this.

:cheers:

Well I got home from the match today and there was a little box for me on the doorstep. I installed the parts and what do you know, it works like a charm. Great fix and thanks for sharing it with all of us.

two thumbs up,

Dave

Edited by werewolf45auto

• 5 weeks later...
For anybody in Australia who wants to try this.

My local bearing supplier didn't have them in stock but got them withing 24 hours.

Part numbers are

Timken NTA 815 for the bearing

Timken TRC 815 for the thrust washers.

Note: Those thrust washers are 1/16" thick. They did have 1/32 (.032") available but I forgot what I was supposed to be buying:wacko:

Peter

Brisbane

Australia

Peter...any chance you can tell me where you got them from?

Thanks,

John.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking my shellplate's down to the powder coating place tomorrow morning and having xylon applied. He has a minimum charge of $30.00 but for that minimum he'll do three shellplates. He also thinks the process will be about .001" think. Can anyone see a problem with this idea?

Thanks Wildkow

p.s. BTW he'll do Teflon but that's a $150.00 minimum. He didn't think it was necessary since Teflon is usually used for high heat enviroments.

I got my parts today but still have some powder that gets kicked out of the case. I just tried 1 case at a time right now but maybe when all stations are full it will be better who knows.

I did notice the plate is much smoother which is still worth the upgrade of these parts but with 45acp and Bullseye powder I get a few flakes that get shaken out. The other thing I liked is that the shell plate can be tightened more which should help eliminate the variances in COL from it tilting and having that play removed which used to be there.

I got my parts today but still have some powder that gets kicked out of the case. I just tried 1 case at a time right now but maybe when all stations are full it will be better who knows.

I did notice the plate is much smoother which is still worth the upgrade of these parts but with 45acp and Bullseye powder I get a few flakes that get shaken out. The other thing I liked is that the shell plate can be tightened more which should help eliminate the variances in COL from it tilting and having that play removed which used to be there.

Try tightening the shell plate bolt every so slightly, until the pull handle won't snap back up with your hand off the handle from mid stroke, Just to the point where you feel tension on the upstroke, but not too tight.

There is a little magic, and you'll have to play around, but others that are loading N320 with .45's and me with lots of powder that pretty much fills a case in 9mm Major have no spillage.

Also, the bearing will take a *set* after a few pulls from a new install while it squeezes out the grease that it has in it... that will also loosen the tension, so it may take a couple of adjustments to get it where you want it...

Alan

Try tightening the shell plate bolt every so slightly, until the pull handle won't snap back up with your hand off the handle from mid stroke, Just to the point where you feel tension on the upstroke, but not too tight.

There is a little magic, and you'll have to play around, but others that are loading N320 with .45's and me with lots of powder that pretty much fills a case in 9mm Major have no spillage.

Also, the bearing will take a *set* after a few pulls from a new install while it squeezes out the grease that it has in it... that will also loosen the tension, so it may take a couple of adjustments to get it where you want it...

Alan

Yep....I had to play around a little with bolt tension...My fav 9mm load the case is full to the point its almost compressed and I don't lose a single flake now

Opps, I double posted for some reason, please delete this second one.

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Okay, got my shellplate back from the powder coating place and was charged only $10.00 for them to apply xylon coating. It's like teflon but can't be used in high heat environments. With Alan's washer and pin bearing fix each time I pull the handle it takes very little effort and is smooth like butter! In fact so smooth that the first time I pulled the handle three rounds spun out into the round bin! :rolleyes: The only problem is that there is still a little snap and a tiny bit of spillage occasionally. Since it doesn't happen every time could this be from a misaligned shellplate? I think that maybe the primers are catching and then snapping into the primer pocket. I know about the ring index cam but it seems I have run out of adjustment to get the plate to align just right so if anyone has a link/method of adjusting/aligning the shellplate please let me know.

After reading Alan's post above I'll go out tomorrow and adjust it as he suggests. But over all it really is as smooth as butter and there is A LOT less powder spillage when loading 9mm than there was before. The only problem I ran into with the coating process is that the indexing holes on the shellplate are plugged with a plastic insert that the powder coating guys didn't catch until they were partially melted because the coating process requires the plate be heated to around 300-400 degrees. The plugs look like part of the metal shellplate but they aren't! So if you intend to do this don't forget to remove them. I think I'll call Dillon and ask if they are really needed? BTW, what would happen if a bevel or a slight radius was put on those index holes so instead of snapping into place the bearing rolled into index hole?

Wildkow

Edited by Wildkow

Ok...although my bearing kit did smooth things a little, I've found the same effect can be achieved with bolt tension without it. I have also found that with the bearing kit 'fix' i am now crushing a number of primers...somehow the shellplate is getting out of alignment....suggestions?

thanks

Ok...although my bearing kit did smooth things a little, I've found the same effect can be achieved with bolt tension without it. I have also found that with the bearing kit 'fix' i am now crushing a number of primers...somehow the shellplate is getting out of alignment....suggestions?

thanks

Let's try one more run up this hill.

If you are crushing primers, then you are too tight.

Also the note about beveling the index holes in the shell plate will do more harm than good... you would want a slight bevel (which should be there already).

Here's why... the index hole that the ball fit into is actually part of the alignment as well. It's what centers the plate at each station, so if you are crushing primers, check this.

With nothing in the press, crank the handle a few times. Now without touching anything else, look at the hole where the primer ram comes up thru the shellplate and as you are looking just take your left hand and rock the shellplate back and forth, if you see/feel it click/move into place, then you have it too tight. Basically, you are not allowing the index hole to pull the plate into the center such that each station is lined up. If it's didn't move, then you may have a press that is slightly out of time... Crank it thur a few more times and this time on the last crank, attempt to put the press thru the primer seating motion and while watching the priming station, see how centered the primer ram is to the hole in the primer disk and the shellplate. I can't tell you what is in or our of time, but it should be a perfectly aligned each time when it's correct.

hope this helps,

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson