Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hunters... Hunting with 9mm Major?

Have any of you USPSA/IPSC shooters gone hunting (small or large game) with your gaming gun?

How would a 9mm Major load stack up vs. a 357 Mag with a similar barrel length?

Just got to thinking...

Jeff

Depending on the game you're after, I think they make a very effective hunting round.

I remember growing up, me and my buddy Reggie used to go out to Bigger's Canyon all the time. We would have a blast trying to bulls-eye those womp rats from my T-16.

:cheers:

I have chased a Jack Rabbit around at long range with my open gun :roflol:

It wasnt as much hunting ...as best guess where the poi at that range is :roflol:

NO Rabbits were injured ...just encouraged to run FASTER :roflol:

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

I have not tried it yet, but I'm going to hunt some wild hogs with my 9 major open gun. In the swamps around here you don't ever have more than a 20-35 yard shot anyway.

Id look real hard at bullet selection, most open 9mm shooters are loading hollowpoints, Hollowpoints intended to perform at standard 9mm velocity. Suitable .357 magnum hunting bullets are available. I dont think you'll find 9mm bullets designed to perform properly on game at 1400 or so fps. Personally I have a little more respect for big game than to use stunt guns and ammo.

I have not tried it yet, but I'm going to hunt some wild hogs with my 9 major open gun. In the swamps around here you don't ever have more than a 20-35 yard shot anyway.

Hog hunting was EXACTLY what I was considering... Here in west-Florida, there are a LOT of wild hogs, from 100-200 pounds. I would not call them "dangerous game", but I'd consider them tougher to kill than a white tail. More hogs than I can count have gone down to a 357 Mag out of a 4-6" barrel, at ranges inside 30yds.

I figured a full metal jacket 9mm, cranked up to 9-Major spec, would be comfortable adequate. Through and through penetration is optimal, and shot placement critical to a one-shop-stop, like with any hunting gun.

What is a 124gr 9mm Major load you'd suggest?

JW

Be sure to check your local law concerning minimum bullet diameter, etc. Here in Ohio for deer you have to use a gun with at least a 5" barrel and .357" minimum bullet diameter out of a straight walled case. Other animals may be taken with any caliber handgun. I'm sure other states vary.

I would suggest something with a little expansion, over a fmj. but NOT a 115-125 jhp, Montana Gold makes a 9mm bullet that looks kind of like a soft point, in that there is exposed lead at the nose. I would even consider 147-150gr SP's but with brain shots the fmj will do the job, if you can place the shot, just aim for the ear hole on a broadside animal, I've taken several with 22lr that way, inside 50yds and over 30yds.

trapr

XTP's would probably be your best bet in a hollowpoint, probably the toughest HP out there. Even a 100 pound wild hog has a pretty decent cartilage layer over the ribcage, it and a rib is going to be a tough job for any 9mm HP bullet and I probably wouldn't even try it unless someone else was backing me with a rifle. Neck and head shots I think would be OK, if the bullet blows up it will still get the job done in very short order. I'd hunt whitetail with my 9mm major, so small hogs wouldn't be an issue either to me. With ANY handgun hunting shot placement is absolutely critical, as much so as bow hunting.

Id look real hard at bullet selection, most open 9mm shooters are loading hollowpoints, Hollowpoints intended to perform at standard 9mm velocity. Suitable .357 magnum hunting bullets are available. I dont think you'll find 9mm bullets designed to perform properly on game at 1400 or so fps. Personally I have a little more respect for big game than to use stunt guns and ammo.

+1 My thoughts exactly.

That being said, there are two types of land owners in the south/southeast. Those already with wild hogs and those that will have. Hogs are a nuisance and have multiple litters during rut. Asking for permission to hunt will most likely be met with a welcome. Hogs are hunted with bows, rifles and handguns. I'm sure that some are taken with shotgun slugs. I just have never witnessed it. Around here many are taken with traps. In some jurisdictions and states, there is an season that never closes. There is also liberal bag limits. An 80lbs to 150lbs yearling is great eating and some of the best bacon you've ever tasted. There are also the 300-500 sows that if startled with frighten the beejeebus out of you and you better have something that will stop the charge when it comes. A boar is a whole different matter. They are pretty pissy all of the time. They also move faster than texas stars, more erratic than moving and sliding targets.

I think you would be using the wrong tool. Can it be done? Certainly. So too could a .22 rimfire.

Just my 2¢

Well,I know 9mm WWB works great on rabbits,both Cottontails and Jacks.Heck,they don't even wreck that much meat really.But for hunting hogs or deer,I don't know.Here in SoDak,the minimum caliber rule for handguns is that the cartridge has to be factory rated to produce at least 500 ft-lbs.I use both 44 Mag and 357 Mag for Whitetail/Mulies,depending on what I feel like carrying.In the 357 I use a jacketed expanding bullet,but in the 44 I use a hardcast SWC.I think your idea of using a FMJ loaded 9 Major has merit.At those speeds,I think you would definately have enough penetration,and I'm thinking that the bullet would experiance some deformation.Especially in a hog.A Hornady XTP might hang together well enough though.If I was in the same boat,I'd try both.This sounds like fun,-Mike