Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Get Out Of Bed?

ErikW

You know how you sanp your head around, to get on target when doing a draw from uprange (like El Prez)?

Try the same thing with your limbs. Set up so that you can fling your limbs accross your body at the beep, letting their momentum help get your whole body moving.

(did that make sense?)

Does anyone make a timer with a start signal that sounds like a key going into a door? :rolleyes:

Obviously this is a problem scenario for me too, although all too often the "bed" is a piece of carpet on the gravel (which is a different challenge).

I think the answer depends on whether you have to engage targets from the bed or not before you leave it.

Shooting from the bed: For the physically fit, I would surmise that doing a situp (perhaps aided by a little leg kick) would be the best while drawing the gun.

Getting up from the bed, then shooting: swinging your legs over the side at the same time you push with your arm (on the side you exit the bed) should help speed with the exit. Start the draw as soon as your torso is more or less upright, regardless of where you are with respect to exiting the bed.

If the stage doesn't prohibit you from having your feet on the ground, try putting them there. If you can visualize, start laying in the bed as you would any bed, and then move your lower legs and feet off to the right. This will put your torso in a coil, of sorts, and it worked for me. The other thing I do, like when the gun is in the bedside table drawer, is I look at the drawer while I'm laying down. I think this pre-tensioned, coiled position has worked best for me.

Overall though, I think a strong mid-section is essential to get out of a laying position quickly.

Guest Larry Cazes

Erik, assuming the gun is unholstered off to the side such as on a bedstand, I would keep it simple! We have done quite a bit of this both from sitting position and lying down on a bed in our action pistol group in SJ. Assuming that you are not constrained from a particular position, I laways start on my side facing the gun with both my feet and hands on the edge of the bed. Then a quick movement of your feet to the floor with your hands/arms/torso moving upright is very quick.

How much of the starting position is defined in the course description?

Erik,

From lying on my back with my feet on the bed or off the ground I always try to get my feet moving first. I like to position my feet so that the outside (farthest from the gun) foot is on top (ankles crossed) so that when I move, it falls over the edge of the bed. Then use the momentum from your feet/legs falling off the bed to lever your hips over while pushing up with your arm if possible to get your shoulders started. Push yourself upright with your inside arm. Don't rush it, just try to make it all one smooth motion.

If the bed is especially soft start with your hands flat beside your hips (you can also plant a hand under your small of back to help lever you off). If you are going to the right, roll by rocketing your left knee up and over and let it pull you off the side to low crouch (up onto your right elbow). Grab the blaster and go. Low crouch is pretty easy to get moving fast from.

Guest Brad Stahlberg

If it's an option I lay on my back in basically sitting position, pointing in the direction I need to move to. At start I thrust my legs to the ground while sitting up at the same time. For me keeping my mid section more relaxed allows me to get up faster.

If the stage would allow it and depending on where the gun is , I wonder if it might not be faster to lay face down with your arms ready in a push-up type position and your eyes on the gun , say on an adjacent night stand. If the targets are on the headboard side then as the buzzer went off you could push up with your arms while letting your legs slide off , you would very quickly be standing and facing the targets at the same time. Starting on your back you almost have to roll sideways to get off the bed and the face down start would eliminate that time wasted rolling. Obviously, you would have to try it both ways to see . Maybe do it at home with a par time set on your timer and see what works.

Most of the Lying in Bed, oops I mean Laying in Bed stages I've seen the stage designer mandated the laying on back position, ankles crossed and with a mandated hand position such as on chest or behind head. Positions specifically designed to make it as hard as possible to get off the bed quickly.

The two worst ones that I remember were Area 2 in Arizona where you were laying in bed covered with a blanket and it was soo damn cold I didn't want to get out from under the nice warm blanket and I forget which match but the other one was similiar, in bed covered with blanket and it was about 105 degrees. Nice heavy wool blanket! I think there was about a half gallon sweat puddle in the middle of the bed.

This where focus and superior visualization skills come into play. Listen intently for the first part of the buzzer tone, but imagine replacing the tone with , "Honey, I'm home."
Whoa, that'll teach you how to do a sit-up (without even thinking about it) if nothing will...!!

Erik, I have found that, to find the best way to perform this kind of tasks, the best you can do is just do it 30 times at home for a couple of days. You'll figure out what's the best way for you. The technique will reveal itself when you practice.

Actually, I've got a tall waterbed, not good for practicing.

I blew it at the Infinity bed stage, which allowed me to have my feet on the ground and hands grasping the bed. I should have held my knees up in the air and swung them down to use the momentum to bring my upper body off the bed. Doesn't matter because I shot the stage wrong anyway.

Matt B. was taping that stage - I can imagine all of us that used that "feet and fanny in the air" start position ending up on the outtake chapter of one of his new DVD's (he also caught me kicking myself verbally for slamming my hand down on the gun and unseating the mag, right after he recorded me saying I was going to pinch the gun up as he recommends on his DVD :wacko:).

Ah . . . getting out of bed.

Something we do every day without even thinking about it. So simple . . . so mundane . . .

And yet . . .

In the Kentucky Section match this past weekend, there was a stage where you had to start on your back on a table ("Emergency Room"). For some reason, I did not roll onto my side, swing my legs over, and lever myself up like I always do. No, that would have been too simple and would have only made me a few seconds slower than the next slowest person.

Instead, for some unknown reason, I tried to sit up. :blink::unsure::blink::wacko:

And I tried, and I tried, and I tried . . . and I kept kicking my legs and trying . . . and finally I made it (much to the relief of the crowd and the ROs who very graciously held the table for me).

It took about 20 seconds.

So that's an extra 15 seconds because my li'l peabrain vaporlocked and I got stuck in a bad loop.

On the bright side, I did finish the stage. NEVER QUIT!

Everyone in our squad used the legs and butt in the air technique on the "Nate's Bedroom" stage. One of my squad mates, who will remain nameless, was assuming the position and let fly with a thunderous flatulent AD. You could hear this baby double plugged. Everyone was laughing so hard the shooter had to stand down for a while until we all regained composure. The range officer threated to give him a procedural for sh_ting on the RO. :lol:

Got a good laugh when I saw this thread's title!

With no deliberation and a thunderous roar!

Okay, even if you figure it out... don't forget that these weirdo starts are little more than a "trap" - that take your attention off the shooting.

be