Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It must be spring...the snakes are out

GentlemanJim

This is a 5 and a half foot bull snake in my front yard

He seems to have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed...he is quite ticked off

Disregard the audio...Nanci was not pleased at filming him :roflol:

His strike was about 5 feet..he was pretending to be a rattlesnake

The vid doesnt show it well...but these guys can deform their head to mimic the shape of a rattlesnake.

And yes it was me he was trying to bite :roflol: ...PS no I did not hurt him...they eat mice...and thats good

th_PICT0017.jpg

You sure have funny looking grass out there in New Mexico.

Hello: I am moving out there soon but maybe not after seeing that thing. Looks like it would make a fine pair of boots :surprise: I shot with Jim and Nancy at Double Tap this year and she was using the same type of language towards the cold weather :roflol: I am not a fan of snakes but if they eat rattlesnakes I like that snake :cheers: Cool video. Thanks, Eric

<_< She did as she was told and worked the video ..!Whack!

Went out side barefoot with the fast snake .....cuzzzz Jim said to.....!Whack!

Jim said "Hold my Beer, watch this".....!Whack,... <_< Whack again! Once for hold my beer , and another whack for. watch this

Its eyes are round , not vertical slits , So :unsure: its not poisonous ..?Rite? .....Whack!

Hello: I am moving out there soon but maybe not after seeing that thing. Looks like it would make a fine pair of boots :surprise: I shot with Jim and Nancy at Double Tap this year and she was using the same type of language towards the cold weather :roflol: I am not a fan of snakes but if they eat rattlesnakes I like that snake :cheers: Cool video. Thanks, Eric

It certainly was cold enough at that match to cause a colorful metaphor to escape my lips... :mellow:

So, where are you moving to?

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, b****, you knew I was a snake."

Edited by JThompson

GJ,

That looks like the gent I found under a palm frond Monday. I was just getting done with a call of nature, (we do that at our shop out the cack door) and I thought I saw the tip of something sticking out from under a palm frond. I stepped on him as he coiled and tried to get a good couple of strikes on my boot. Reached down and grabbed him, (their stress reaction is to crap on you, ewwww!) and slipped him into the bed of my friends truck.

Now that is what we do for fun out here in the desert! :devil:

Tim isn't even scared of them, but he was suprised when he went to put his gear away! We let him go on a dune covered in creosote. I am sure he will live well there. It is in the middle of some agricultural land and there were so many rodent holes, he's sure to get a meal!

I dont know why...but the larger bull snakes seem to have a more agressive behavior.

A few years ago I came across one that was over 7 feet long..biggest I have ever seen

I tryed to catch him...and man o man what a mess :surprise:

He managed to whip around and bite me...and not just a little bite!...he gave me a NASTY bite on my arm.

This was in the field hunting deer...and even after cleaning the wound..I got a pretty good infection from it.

These puppys have a ton of tiny razor sharp teeth.

If you catch one..and just hold him for a while, they calm down and play nice.

Jim

ya right!

Just hold him awhile (insert smug whiny voice here) ...NOT!

Remember the saying that the more often you handle a firearm the greater the possibility you will have an accidental discharge?

Well, you keep handling those snakes and eventually you will get bit! :excl:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some stuff I kinda knew, but Wiki Answers states it so elaquently.

King Snakes and Milk Snakes both Old and New World are a primary predator of numerous venomous snakes, including Cobra's. A Black snake consuming a Rattler is more likely a Mexican Black King Snake or an Eastern King Snake (Although Eastern's moreoften have thin yellow bands). California King's are normally Black with thicker yellow or white bands, more often in the Pet Trade California Kingsnakes are all black but more often then not as they grow gain other colors browns, grays, whites, or yellows. However all three types of King's live in areas where Rattlers can be found, Mexican Blacks and California Kings inhabit the same areas of Prarie and Diamond Back Rattlers, as a result when confronted both species practices "Tail Ratting", doing this produces a sound like that of a rattle snake. Eastern Kingsnakes not only prey on Timber Rattlesnakes but Coral Snakes as well. Kingsnakes and Milksnakes are slender, unlike most snakes there is no distinction between the head and body where-as most snakes have a spear-like shape. The body build allows for more better manuvering during constriction of another snake, Florida King Snakes can consume a Rattlesnake inches short of their same size. Bull Snakes, though not normally Black also eat Rattlesnakes but usually do not share the same cannibalistic nature King's and Milk's do. The Bull Snake also has a spear-like shape, the smaller jaws of King's and Milk's makes it harder to consume larger rodents that another species of the same size could do with ease. California Kingsnakes inhabit as far South as Arizona and as far East as Nevada, Mexican Black Kingsnakes inhabit the same areas stretching farther South into Mexico. Eastern Kings inhabit the Eastern Coast as far North as Maine and as far South as Florida, The Mississippi River is usually a Western border. The much rarer and harder to identify Blotched King, varies more by color then other Kings and gets larger. Usually Black or Darker gray scales with a lighter outline around them, inhabits more of MidWest. Colorado and Wyoming are home to Bull Snakes which are much larger snake eaters than King's and Milk's naturally, so the siting are rarer. So whichever region you live in decides what snake it is, if its a captive bred snake as a pet then it is most commonly the black morph California Kingsnake.

The point is, kill the good snakes = leave more room for the dangerous snakes.

Edited by nashvillebill

• 2 weeks later...