Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

130 gr Black Bullets International

Dan Hefta

I won 3500 130 gr Black Bullets International bullets, I usually shoot 115 gr Montana Gold bullets and like Universal Clays powder. I shoot a Glock 34 and need to make minor 130 PF. Does anyone have a good staring point for me? So I don't have to waiste any precious primers.

I would highly recommend playing with some Solo1000 for them, though. I run 147 blackbullets and 3.3-3.4gr of Solo, and it's wonderfully soft shooting - a little softer than Titegroup. Only Clays and VV130 are in the same nighborhood when it comes to felt recoil. Solo shoots as soft as the other powders, but due to it's lower burn temperature, smokes a lot less than most of the fast powders when used with lead or moly.

That said, the smoke from them isn't THAT bad. Along the lines of what you see from most of your .45 and wheelgun buddies that shoot lead. It's noticable if you fire an entire magazine without moving, the sun is in the wrong spot, and you're looking for it. If you're paying attention to the shooting, you don't notice it until you're clearing the gun.

I'm guessing somewhere around 3.6 to 3.8 gr of Solo 1000 would put you in 130ish pf. I haven't a clue with Universal Clays, but it's a slower powder.

Hodgdon charts show 4.2 through 4.7 with a 130 FMJ. Being this is a moly, I would suspect you are going to get more speed with a lighter charge. 4.2 is where I would start and 4.5 is where I would stop. 20 rounds of each is only 80 primers to chrono, and well worth the knowledge IMO.

At the GBC I chrono'd my 125 Bear Creek molys and they weigh 128. 4.1 Solo 1000. Got 1050 +/-. Very soft minimal smoking, cleans easily in my 2 stock G34 and 1 G17. Never any pressure sign or problems. Mixed brass, wolf primers. 6-7K so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Preliminary results:

Glock 34, stock barrel

BBI 130gr, which weighed in the 130-132 range based on a quick sampling

mixed brass

WSP primers

same seating die setting that gives 1.169" with Berry's RNs, which works out to about 1.135" with the BBI's

3.3gr N310

1008.7 fps avg = 131.1 PF

3.6gr N320

1037.0 fps avg = 134.8 PF

It was overcast and I was having difficulty getting the chrono to work, so I cut my testing short after these two loads, and tiny samples at that. Hopefully this coming week I'll be able to get another chrono session in and get some better samples.

Edited by MoNsTeR

• 2 weeks later...
Very soft minimal smoking, cleans easily in my 2 stock G34 and 1 G17.

I stopped using moly bullets in my Glocks and HK USPs because they'd gunk up the bores and cleaning it out took forever. I was using Tite Group and after seeing your post I'm wondering if the problem was more the fault of the Tite Group than the moly bullets? Going to have to scare up some Solo 1000 and give it a try.

I'm guessing that you were also using Precision's bullets?

Their coating is hell to clean. BBI's is not. No more difficult than any dirty FMJ load for me. (Glock 34 barrel, and a lax 500-1,500 round cleaning schedule.)

That said, I shoot an indoor IDPA match each Tusday, and run about 100 FMJs through the gun. So I don't know if they're scrubbing the bore - similar to shooting FMJs after running lead through your gun. Moly's are shot each weekend at outdoor IDPA and USPSA matches, about 500-1,500 per month.

I'm guessing that you were also using Precision's bullets?

Their coating is hell to clean. BBI's is not. No more difficult than any dirty FMJ load for me. (Glock 34 barrel, and a lax 500-1,500 round cleaning schedule.)

That said, I shoot an indoor IDPA match each Tusday, and run about 100 FMJs through the gun. So I don't know if they're scrubbing the bore - similar to shooting FMJs after running lead through your gun. Moly's are shot each weekend at outdoor IDPA and USPSA matches, about 500-1,500 per month.

Yeah, I was shooting Precision Molys and also Master Blasters. Used Tite Group with both. Thought that Black Bullets Int. coating would be identical to MB since they bought the MB equipment. Still wondering if the higher flame temp of the TG might have something to do with the fouling I experienced. Going to give the molys another try with Solo and see how that goes. Being able to shoot more for less $ is always a good thing! :)

• 2 weeks later...
[

Yeah, I was shooting Precision Molys and also Master Blasters. Used Tite Group with both. Thought that Black Bullets Int. coating would be identical to MB since they bought the MB equipment. Still wondering if the higher flame temp of the TG might have something to do with the fouling I experienced. Going to give the molys another try with Solo and see how that goes. Being able to shoot more for less $ is always a good thing! :)

I tried the master blaster bullets, and found that I did get some leading/moly residue in my barrels (regardless of Glock or 1911). However, I've shot 2500 of the .40 BBI, and almost 3000 of the 130 9mm, and have very minimal bore fouling. Did not clean my M&P 9 for a good 1500 rounds, and even then, clean up a snap. I've heard that BBI has played around with the mixtures of their bullets. They are definetly better than the old company.

I run 3.8 VVN320 with the 130s. Just chrono 134.5 at the Indiana Sectional.

Tony Hawkins won Production at the match using BBIs.

Got a better sample yesterday through my new G34. Same components as before, 3.3gr N310. 1017.3fps mean (PF 132.2), SD of 6.6, ES of 25.8, sample size of 15. Looks like I've found my new load.

I bought the sample pack and shot them thru my XDTac 9 and they seem accurate. My buddy and I just split 3000 so as soon as I can get them loaded I plan on doing some practicing with them and I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

More data! Don't you love data? I love data.

same basics as before

3.4gr N310

mean 1052.9 fps (PF 136.9)

SD 8.3

ES 28.8

N=12

3.5gr N310

mean 1066.7 fps (PF 138.7)

SD 4.6(!)

ES 12.2(!)

N=9

3.7gr N320

mean 1067.5 fps (PF 138.8)

SD 11.4

ES 35.7

N=8

Edited by MoNsTeR

Thanks to MoNsTeR for the load data. I got my hands on some 130 grain BBI's a month ago and tried them in my first IDPA match. I used the 3.6 gr recommendation, but with Ramshot Competition. COL 1.30" and fired out of a Glock 19. I think PF was 128 or 129 when I checked it.

• 3 months later...

Even more data...

3.6gr Solo 1000

Wolf SP

all other specs same as above

mean 1006.5fps (PF 130.8)

SD 10.1

ES 38.2

N=13

also I re-tested my 3.3gr N310 load since I changed to Magtech SP and had the chrono out...

mean 1031.3fps (PF 134.1)

SD 5.5

ES 19.9

N=14

The Solo 1000 load is pretty decent, a good substitute for N320 if you can't find any or can't do math and think it's too expensive ;) But I love the N310 load and just bought 8 more pounds, so I'm sticking with it.

Even more data...

3.6gr Solo 1000

Wolf SP

all other specs same as above

mean 1006.5fps (PF 130.8)

SD 10.1

ES 38.2

N=13

also I re-tested my 3.3gr N310 load since I changed to Magtech SP and had the chrono out...

mean 1031.3fps (PF 134.1)

SD 5.5

ES 19.9

N=14

The Solo 1000 load is pretty decent, a good substitute for N320 if you can't find any or can't do math and think it's too expensive ;) But I love the N310 load and just bought 8 more pounds, so I'm sticking with it.

What are you running for overall length?

More data:

Smith and Wesson M&P9L stock barrel

4.04gr Universal clays with the 130gr BBI, OAL 1.162", light crimp, no pressure signs

50degrees, overcast, perfect chrono weather...

1074fps average. SD:12 PF:139.8 It had light smoke when shot, don't think it would effect me much during a match.

I'm not sure if changing the oal will help with accuracy or not, I will play with that and report back.

I'm guessing somewhere around 3.6 to 3.8 gr of Solo 1000 would put you in 130ish pf. I haven't a clue with Universal Clays, but it's a slower powder.

Hodgdon charts show 4.2 through 4.7 with a 130 FMJ. Being this is a moly, I would suspect you are going to get more speed with a lighter charge. 4.2 is where I would start and 4.5 is where I would stop. 20 rounds of each is only 80 primers to chrono, and well worth the knowledge IMO.

SA--you were right on the money. I loaded up my case with 3.75gr of Solo with the 130gr BBI OAL 1.162" and they were at 131.4pf in 38 degree temperatures. I had a SD of 8. Pretty darn good in my book. SEVERAL of the velocities were 1015, 1016, 1017 fps. Many duplicates in the 30rds I fired off. Only reason the SD was 8 was I had 2 loads go into the 995, 994 fps area and I peaked at 1030fps. I was very impressed with this load!!! It shot very soft and it was more accurate with the BBI's than any other powder combination I have tried so far out of my M&P 9L.