Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying my first AR-15

sgrc1

So, looking around the local shops for my first AR-15, I am considering 2 options:

a) Buy the cheapest model I can find, so far this has been an Armalite flattop (non floating tube) for about $1100 and send it to Benny to work his magic....

B) Buy a nicer model, shoot it for a while and then decide what I want/need added and probably still send it to Benny, I saw a nice S&W MP15 (it has floating tube with picatini rails on all 3 sides, foldable sights, etc...) and this was about $1750.00.... there were models in between these 2 but these are the 2 extremes of the scale.

On both scenarios, I am not quite sure what mods would be required for eventually shooting in tactical/limited division?, I dont see myself shooting in Open as this would require also an Open pistol which I don't own and don't plan on anytime soon...

Last question, for both options above: What should I have Benny do and is it worth buying the better model and shooting for a while so I can then have first hand experience on what I need/want done to it.

I know this is a broad question but appreciate any insight anybody can share.

Txs,

p.s> I will post a similar topic under shotgun.

Any decent gun, good trigger and have enough money to put some good optics on it. Usually a free float tube, and a good trigger and comp and you are good to go. It dosent need rails as there isnt much reason to hang stuff off them for 3gun

Benny is easy to talk to, he is not much for letters , but he will read and post on this forum. One thing that works is wait and catch a buy on the forum,

I think having something to shoot and get started with is good.

Call Benny early in the day, he may be able to take time to talk. The Better equipment will hold its value higher.

+1 on the flat top receiver. Much more flexible than an A1 or A2 top end.

Barrels are particularly hard to find these days so I'd probably base a purchase on the barrel. Unless you are dead set on a 16", a 20" is more flexible as it can become an 18" if you choose. I believe Benny is fond of DPMS barrels. I have had good luck with my Sabre Defence.

It's easier to find the other upgrade parts like match trigger assemblies and float tubes, although the JP free float tubes are pretty scarce.

If you're thinking about working with Benny anyhow, you might want to see if he has anything kicking around the shop you could get.

Good luck,

John

Edited by iainmcphersn

A flat top with float tube, no rails. 18 or 20 inch barrel. Beyond that all you need is a JP trigger and Bennys comp. Just make sure it has a rifle lenght gas system.----------Larry

Not to hijack.....but why a rifle length gas system. I plan to use an 18" bbl on my build

A flat top with float tube, no rails. 18 or 20 inch barrel. Beyond that all you need is a JP trigger and Bennys comp. Just make sure it has a rifle lenght gas system.----------Larry

Not to hijack.....but why a rifle length gas system. I plan to use an 18" bbl on my build

Rifle length gas system allows for a smoother gas impulse than the shorter mid/carbine length gas systems. This results in less overall recoil and gun movement.

Plus 10 to Larry's advice.

Edited by smokshwn

the armalite I found had no float tube, but a fixed plastic hand guard, is this a problem, can it be later upgraded to float tube or is this a key feature I should find.

txs, S

edit: actually I just found a 20 inch armalite in gun broker, it reads '20inch stainless steal T heavy', is this what I am looking for?, why the 'heavy' descriptor, are all 20inch described as Heavy or is this something different?

Edited by sgrc1

The hand guards can be changed without problem. I would perfer to buy a rifle that is as close to what I want to end up with as possible but the way the market is today the choices may come down to what you can get, kind of a bird in the hand vs a bird in the bush deal. The best is to call Benny and tell him you want to shoot tac optics, put togerther a rifle for me. But the way the parts siutation is today the wait can be long. The hand guards can be changed, a heavy 20in can become lite 18 easily but a 16 in with a short gas system will always be a harsh, nasty little gun til you rebarrel it. Call Benny before you buy, 361-241-1091.-----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Thanks All, actually I ended up ordering a complete rifle from Benny with all his 'standard features', delivery will depend on if he can get some components such as barrel and bolt carrier but hopefully pretty soon.

Do most of you shoot a fixed stock or adjustable?, this is the only doubt I still have, Benny recommended adjustable due to precision, etc... but I have read quite a few posts around that recognize the value of an adjustable stock - what is the vote?, what is the best adjustable that will meet the best of both worlds in terms of stability, accuracy and adjustability?

I can't think of anyone that places consistently in the top 10 using an adjustable stock/collapsable stock. KurtM

Yes I don't finish in ANY top 10 so far - - but my thought was to go with a nice adjustable stock just to get going. Now that I have the "right" length I never mess with it. The A2 stock was not to my liking - but again from another AR newbie...

your mileage may vary

Oh Congrats on buying a great rifle from a great guy...did you order a SG from him too? If not you might as well put in the order. He'll tell you everything you need to know and do... :cheers:

Edited by hk_mtbr

I can't think of anyone that places consistently in the top 10 using an adjustable stock/collapsable stock. KurtM

That is exactly what the Man said and I know he is right, I was just wondering what experience others have had with adjustable stocks.... I saw on the website several JP' with ACE ARFX stock and looked kinda cool....

Yes I don't finish in ANY top 10 so far - - but my thought was to go with a nice adjustable stock just to get going. Now that I have the "right" length I never mess with it. The A2 stock was not to my liking - but again from another AR newbie...

your mileage may vary

Oh Congrats on buying a great rifle from a great guy...did you order a SG from him too? If not you might as well put in the order. He'll tell you everything you need to know and do... :cheers:

Thanks - I felt it was best to go with the REAL thing now that I had the spare change instead of experiencing with different stock rifles and trying to upgrade, especially when 1) I didn't know anything about AR's, and 2) I couldn't seem to find the right platform to begin with (meaning all the rifles I was seeing locally had 16" barrels)..

What is a SG??

NOW all I have to do is get out there and start shooting (well.. actually I have to get the rifle first!).

SG = shotgun. That gets you ready for 3-gun matches.

By the way, I like my A2 stock just fine & if you leave it laying around very long, Gentleman Jim will paint it & then it will look "kinda cool" as well! hahaha. I have never tried the magpul stock(yet) but none of the other adjustables fit me very well at all. Stocks gotta fit you on an AR.

MLM

SG = shot gun like mlmiller1 said...Benny makes em sing...I just figured while you have him on the line.

I will prob go with the Ace eventually...or not

Good luck

:cheers:

I prefer an adjustable stock - my match rifle has a MagPul CRT, but honestly a plain vanilla M4 stock is just as good. Although an adjustable is not as robust as a fixed A2 stock, it is adequate, and gives the ability to adjust for different shooer size and positions. When my kids (10 and 12) shoot my rifles, they shorten the stock. When I shoot standing/hoser stages I run the stock one notch in, whereas when I am shooting prone I prefer it at the longest setting. An adjustable stock is all upside, no real downside. Is it going to move you up on the scoreboard ? Probably not much, but neither will it move you down.

SG = shot gun like mlmiller1 said...Benny makes em sing...I just figured while you have him on the line.

I will prob go with the Ace eventually...or not

Good luck

:cheers:

Oh.. yes I ordered a Benelli M2 24 inch on ableammo, probably when I drive down to pick up the AR i will take the SG....

That kellyn guy shoots with a SOPMOD stock and seems to be doing pretty well. I like the VLTOR A1 Rifle Modstock, but if going collapsable get one that locks tight like the Magpul CTR, UBR or M93B if you can find one.

I've got a fixed A-2, fixed ACE, Magpul M93, and a Magpul UBR. I like the UBR best, then the M93, then the ACE. I like the adjustable stock because I can get it "just right" for me. I then set the stock to lock back into that position if I ever have need to collapse the stock for transport or whatever. So it is basically a fixed stock that gives you the option of adjusting it if needed.

I am far from being in the top 10 though :cheers:

That kellyn guy shoots with a SOPMOD stock and seems to be doing pretty well. I like the VLTOR A1 Rifle Modstock, but if going collapsable get one that locks tight like the Magpul CTR, UBR or M93B if you can find one.

I do have a lower with a SOPMOD and it has even made appearances at a couple of matches but I much prefer an ACE stock. My absolute favorite is an A1 stock with an Accuracy Speaks adjustable butt plate. Kurt is right about his observation (I've agreed with Kurt 3X tonight!). For some reason, collapsible stocks are mostly shunned by the top shooters. I hate the beard biting M4 stock.

As for the original question, if you are going to get into 3 gun just get a JP, the Triangle Shooting Sports or Accuracy Speaks AR, or a MTSN. If you feel the need for a piston, get a POF. I would go with the 18 or 20 in barrel and full length gas system.

Whatever you do, DON"T get a handguard with picatinney rails all over the place. Get a VTAC handguard.

At the end of the day, all you need is a GOOD ZERO, good trigger, and decent optic.