Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting in the rain

bbbean

Weather forecast for SSN looks pretty iffy. I've never shot in the rain - any tips?

1. Poncho - full length so it covers your gun

2. Plastic bag to cover your shooting bag

3. Good hat!

4. Hand towel for wiping mags, gun, and your hands.

5. Clear lense shooting glasses

Bonus - Some soap for after the match....it saves time! :cheers:

Wait til it stops, shoot between the drops....No actually if it was like we shot the Open Nationals last year it was kinda like the trick of the day. You'll be distracted by the rain and your shooting will be as it should be with no outside influence...

Weather forecast for SSN looks pretty iffy. I've never shot in the rain - any tips?

3. Good hat!

Are you wearing your poncho while you shoot?

3. Good hat!

Are you wearing your poncho while you shoot?

Actually, I learned this from our last trip to York as I was the idiot in a short jacket that was not waterproof. Lesson learned!

Most of the people I saw with them would remove to shoot. I liked the poncho in that it did everything for you, kept the head dry, gun, hands etc.

Try not to think about how wet you are getting, just ignore it. Be careful when shooting bagged targets, particularly if there are tight shots. If the bag is not fitted snug on the top of the target it's easy to put a hole in the bag and miss the target.

Get the heavy-duty 'contractor grade' trash bags. A box is ~ $12 at the local home improvement store.

Bring a small bucket or similar container (maybe a large drink cup from QuikTrip?) for dunking mags before cleaning. Carry it from stage to stage. It shortens the process and, using the water coolers on the stages is what most people will be doing. That source won't last long.

Wash your match footwear in the shower at the motel to get out the crud and then dry with the blow dryer in your room. You'll be ready for the next day.

Enjoy it! Try to remember how much fun it was stomping around in mud puddles as a kid.

If it's really bad weather, go ahead and find a big mudhole. Stand in it ankle deep until your shoes are completely soaked. Once the feet are wet, and they will get wet without serious goretex shoes or boots, everything else just seems kinda minor :surprise::roflol:

But, we usually pull a wagon with our range gear on it and have a large umbrella mounted to it. Umbrella gives you a place to stand plus helps keep the gear relatively dry.

And you really will appreciate a dry pair of socks and shoes on the way home.

Have fun

dj

Its raining, what rain! Shoot just like you would any other match if it were cold, hot, windy, humid, etc.. Having enough dry clothes and trash bags to put the dirty ones in always helps. If your footwear gets pretty nasty, find a laundromat (sometimes the hotels have one available to guests) and wash and dry your footwear in that. Good Luck with your match! H!

:cheers:

One good thing about shooting in the rain is when it rains pretty hard and things are pretty wet, a single hit will generally blows tape off the target. The last wet match I shot (Mesa :surprise: ) I had 5A on a target that I only shot twice ;)

Just watch your footing and have someone watch your mags if there are puddles :o

Welcome to Springtime in Illinois...

Later,

Chuck

You're shooting iron sights so the only concern I'd have are glasses & footing. Footing = cleats. Glasses = My Rudy's with probably an extra spray or two of Rain-X. Oh...have a hat.

Shoot fast but be safe on the footing. If you don't think about the rain, it won't affect you. :D

Rich

ETA: Translation = Stick with what you can control. Everything else is immaterial.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Small 3/8" fishing bobbers tied to your mags are also a good idea if the water is too deep.

Do the bobbers have to fit in the box for a single stack?

:roflol:

Yes, but with the required 9" of fishing line that secures them to the magazines, you can easily wedge it into the space in front of the trigger guard. If you go with a larger size the lid of the box may not close, so proceed with caution.

Leave the shooting bag in the car and carry everything you need in a medium sized ice chest. Nice and waterproof and a handy seat.

Bring lots of ammo. (It keeps the ice chest from floating away.)

Bill

I agree don't let it rain on your shooting bag I did last weekend and then drove to Ohio for work, later Monday afternoon I checked my guns and everything that could rust was rusted, the bag was soaking wet, I didn't have a chance to clean it because I was going to be on the road so I just sprayed everything down with WD-40, a couple of days later I took everything out of the bag and cleaned it better and set the bag out to dry.

This is one subject that drives me crazy, when ever we have a match in the rain everyone acts like they are going to melt. Lots of people showup without a rain coat or even an umbrella?? They spend thousands of dollars on shooting equipment but won't buy a decent rainsuit? Buy a good rainsuit keep it in your vehicle, keep a small umbrella in your shooting bag (just to keep your bag dry) and bring a small camping chair to keep your gear off of the ground. That's all you need to make the best out of a crappy situation.

Edited by danscrapbags