Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dog is on his last legs.

North

My German Shepperd "Luke" is on his last legs. I got him on my return form Korea in Feb 98 as a puppy. For the last 11 years he has been my side kick, always there. The past few years he has been content to lay on his pillow by the door. This past year he has been going down hill pretty quick. He thinks he wants to go walking with us, but doesn't put up much fight when we leave him home. He has been hard to feed the last month, we have had to soften up his food and then set there with him as he ate. Tonight he just seems worse, even sad. He is moving even slower than normal and not having good balance.

I know it is his time, and that I should put him down, but I don't want too. I was hoping to put it off 3 more weeks, when my wife and son take a trip.

I sure don't want to take him in to a vet that he doesn't know, but I don't know that I can do it.

Edited by North

Sorry to hear this about your pup. Does he have a diagnosed illness? My Shephard had symptoms like you describe @ about 10yrs and it was arthritis. One tablet of Alieve each morning did wonders for him.

Anyway, I hope that he is comfortable in his remaining days.

Edited by HighVelocity

I have always been with every one of my dogs that I have had to put down. I always felt it was the least I could do for the guys who were always, always there for me. Who the vet is won't matter. It is you they will want to be with when you do the greatest/hardest thing for them.

It will be a tough day, it will be an honorable, day.

My deepest condolences. Man's best friend can barely capture it for some of us.

Take him to the vet and have some blood work and other test done to make sure its not something that can be corrected. I'm dreeding that day as well as my rotti is getting up there in age as well, actually is the same age. Like Neomet said, if it comes to it, just be there with them when the time comes, its all they will ask for, its all they will need.

well if it makes you feel any better I am going through the same thing with a 30yo horse. Arthritis meds have helped him get around much better and so far he is holding weight but I know the day is coming. and it's gonna take one heck of a hole.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

it sucks. it will never get easier. no matter the circumstances. i had a gsp with epilepsy we fought for a year. he was 2 when i had to put him down. i new it was coming, i new it was best. i new there were no alternatives. i cried like a kid. so many other stories to go with this one. i have 7 now. one wiemy 15yrs old i know its coming soon.

i wish i had something inspirational or profound to say. all i can come up with is it just sucks.

but don't let the heart ache keep you from getting another one. there's too many good dogs going owner less. i'm sure there is one looking for you right now.

good luck you'll know when its time

I am very sorry that you are having to go through this. I have had to do the same is the past as well. I did as suggested, and took her to the vet to ensure that everything was being done to either A) get them better, or B) keep them comfortable. Once they get to the point of not being comfortable, it is time to make the trip. It was stated very well earlier, that it is the honorable thing to do for a companion who has given a lifetime of unconditional love. It is truly noble.

Edited by redintex

Pets are family. I've yet to have a pet that didn't reach me in ways that any family member could.

Do what is best for Luke. Not what's best for you. Not what's best for anyone else. What is best for Luke?

I've posted on these forums and many others have too about pets lost. Everyone knows that the term "pet" is an insult. They are children, parents, leaders, and friends.

Do as you'd have done to you by the best friend you've ever known, best child you could dream of, best leader you've ever met, and best parent you can be.

Do right by Luke. It's all that can be done, and it's the honorable thing to do.

I don't post this to encourage you to do the what is right. I post this only as a showing of support.

God bless!

Jack

Sad to see a faithful friend preparing for a departure.

For me, I'm glad I went in with my dog Tygger so we could be together as she left. . .

I held her head and petted her, all the while telling her what a good dog and friend she was as she slipped away.

When she left she knew I was there for her, as she was for me so many times.

Including your family at your pets's side as he departs may be one of the kindest, comforting things you can do for him.

Stay strong. . . .

It's very hard to deal with...

I think God gave them shorter lifespans to teach us about death and loss and make us better for it. They remind us to show our love, for one day... things come to a close for us all.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I sure hope this is where they go...for North and all who've lost their pets, no, family members to the frailty of life.

Selfish of me too, 'cause I'd sure like to see Kiki, Puppy, Noe, Kapu, and Wili again, what a motley pack they'll make, and Mahealani and Ipokai, who might actually get along this time, if cats ever do.

Edited by gino_aki

I know man it sux big time. I had a Dalmation I got as a pup and she slept beside me for 10 years. When I first got her, she was so small and wanted to sleep across my neck, over the years she obviously became to big for that, but she would sleep beside me and put her neck across mine as we both slept.

All of a sudden she got an incurable blockage in her urinary tract and was gone in a matter of days. Over time the pain lessens, but never goes away. All you can do is cherish the time you shared together. No matter how old they live, it's not long enough.