Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Size Pickup MPG

I am interested in buying a full size extended cab or crew cab PU, preferably 4X4, and was just wondering what everybodies real world miles per gallon have been? How was it for straight city, mix of city and highway, and straight highway/interstate?

Just need a little help to make my mind up one way or another.

Thank You.

Brian

Our 2004 GMC Yukon 2500 4x4 with a 6.0 gas engine get about 12+ around town and 14-15 highway. Our 2002 GMC pick-up 2500 4 door 4x4 with the Duramax gets about 16 around town and 18-19 highway.

Hope this helps.

2005 Chevy 2500hd with the Duramax diesel. Consistent 19+mpg at 64/65 mph. 16.5 mpg at 75-80mph. With propane 25mpg at 75-80mph. Full time around town/start stop 13-14mpg.

I do have a few extras on the truck, but the best thing is that it gets 18 mpg pulling 5000lbs at 65mph

Randy

Just looked at a comparison in car and driver magazine. They listed their observed mpg #'s after their testing to be.

Dodge Ram 345 ci -----14mpg

Ford f150 330 ci---------15mpg

Chevy silverado 325 ci--- 18mpg

Quite a bit different then the companies advertised mpg claims

2005 GMC 1500, 328ci, 80,000 miles, two wheel drive. It will get right around 15 straight city driving, right now it is showing 16.2 with mostly city but maybe 100 highway, & have gotten 20.2 on the highway but normally runs right at 19mph with normal highway driving at the speed limit. I always, always use the cruise control. The 20.2 was a cool day with no a/c running & had a nice quartering tail wind. The a/c seems to knock it back to the 19 range. I put bigger tires on it last time & that cost me 1mpg at least. I know the odo was off with the bigger tires but even taking that into account, it cost me 1mpg hwy & 1.5 town. Went back to original size this time. I don't jackrabbit start but I get on down the road. I do pretty much follow the hwy speed limits, though.

MLM

Real world,,, How about real truck!!!

1971 Chevrolet K20 3/4ton 4X4 350cid/350 turbo. Because of recent events this is now my daily driver.

PICT1099.jpg

It was my beat around work truck, but now its back in service till I can get another Honda car.

I don't piss it off by checking mileage, but I think the gas station owners do a happy dance whenever I pull in...

2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 with the TRD package, 5.7L I-Force V-8 and factory TRD dual exhaust. 14.5-15.5mpg city/town but I don't spend much time driving in town. At my typical 85mph highway speed I'll get 16.5-17mpg without putting any effort into it. When gas was $4/gal I slowed down and I could get 18-18.5mpg just keeping it around 75mph.

It's almost a pity that it's got so much power....it just wants you to use it :devil:

ARE1.jpg

Full size pickup is a huge area, Lots and lots of differences. One thing I have noticed is no body has mentioned one of the things having a major effect on fuel milage. The rear end gear ratio. My f150 with the 4. something or other V8 gas has a 3.31 rear end and gets 22 hwy doing 60. The same with larger trucks they come with everything from 4.10 gears to 3.3 gears. This can make a huge difference in fuel milage. It can also make a difference in towing power so you'll have to decide for yourself. The rear end is a major component that effects the feel ,low end power ,and fuel milage and gets overlooked alot.

I have a 2006 Chevy Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 and I can 19-19.5mpg on hwy @75mph with cruise set. Normal driving around town I'll get around 16.5mpg. Driving two lane roads @ 52-55mph I'm getting 17.5 17.8mpg. I do have a Hypertech programmer installed and a little bigger tire on factory rims(speedo is recalibrated). The best mileage I get is on a long road trip when I only stop for fuel and can keep the cruise set, that's when I can see 19.5mpg.

EG

Real world,,, How about real truck!!!

1971 Chevrolet K20 3/4ton 4X4 350cid/350 turbo. Because of recent events this is now my daily driver.

PICT1099.jpg

It was my beat around work truck, but now its back in service till I can get another Honda car.

I don't piss it off by checking mileage, but I think the gas station owners do a happy dance whenever I pull in...

Whats the dogs name? "OnStar?" :goof:

2001 GMC Sierra. 6.0 engine with full time all-wheel drive. 207,000 miles. If I drive 5 under on the speed limit on the highway, I get about 18-19 mpg, on the other hand when I drive 10+ on the speed limit it drops to about 16. My around town mileage runs about 15.

I guess I should mention that this is with 100% gasoline. When you start getting the ethanol mix, your mileage will suffer.

fwiw

dj

My 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9 Cummins diesel extended cab will get 18-19 with blended fuel and winter weather over a 70/30 mix of highway and city driving. All city in the winter will pull it down to 16.5. In warmer weather and straight #2 it will get 18 in the city and 22 on the highway at 73-74 mph. It is not stock, it makes 450+ hp and 900+ lb/ft, tires are 33" and 3.5 gears. It has 242K on it now.

Momma's car is an 03 Denali, it is the long version with the 6.0. It gets 13 around town, 14.5 in a 50/50 mix and low 16's on the highway at 70 mph. Push it up to 75 mph and it drops to low 15's. Best tank EVER with it has been 16.3 mpg. Super nice car and only has 52K miles on it. Changing ALL of the oils to premium synthetics added about 1 mpg. If we didn't have emmisions testing here I would put dual exhiast on it, gut the cats, cold air intake and a chip. I think I could get another 2 mpg out of it....